Outboard Help

Would really appreciate some input from anybody. I owned a skiff that weighed 1,500lbs and when you added the 30 gallons of gas that is about an extra 250lbs. I'd take three guys and myself out so that was another 700lbs. I had a Yamaha 60hp and it would run 34mph with a stainless steel prop no problem. I just sold that boat and I bought a brand new 25hp Tiller handle Suzuki with Power Trim and Tilt. I am having a 16' skiff that weighs 500lbs built. I figured the 25hp would get it up on plane and run it at least 17mph considering what my 60hp was pushing but I was just told by some guys that they don't even think it will get it up on plane. I have read online articles and they are conflicting. I saw a youtube video where a Yamaha 25hp was pushing a G3 that weighed 700lbs 22mph. So I am very nervous that I may have just blew $4,100 on an outboard that won't move my boat. The guy that is building my boat (Boggy Creek Boats) told me that he thinks the 25hp will run the boat in the upper teens. Any input would really help me out. Thanks.

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,683 Moderator
    I have a 14 FT Panga powered by a 25HP Suzuki V TWIN 4 stroke tiller,ss prop, 2 people, 6 gallons of fuel, trolling motor and batt.inshore gear, some food and drinks. It is rated for 30HP smooth seas it will top out at 19 to 20 mph GPS reading.
    larrywitt
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Ask you builder if he is speculating or actually knows about the boat hull vs. speed vs. power. Boat w/people is a lot of weight for a 25 Hp to push around, especially if the hull is a poor design for speed. Flatter the bottom for shallow the more drag.

Maybe trade the engine back for an upgrade ??
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • jeffjonesjeffjones Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    ran out this similar boat yesterday
    tracker 1648 grizzly w/ center console about 550lbs. 20hp merc remote setup (japan 4 stroke merc aka tohatsu)
    3 gallons gas, light fishing gear, boat gear and one person was topped out at 26mph and it hit the rev limiter a couple times so the prop could even go up one pitch
    a 25 should be a little better, but fully loaded and 3 people may need you to place more weight up front for it to plane off quickly
  • D.S.D.S. Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    RexLan wrote: »
    Ask you builder if he is speculating or actually knows about the boat hull vs. speed vs. power. Boat w/people is a lot of weight for a 25 Hp to push around, especially if the hull is a poor design for speed. Flatter the bottom for shallow the more drag.

Maybe trade the engine back for an upgrade ??

This boat is a V-Hull. I was very confident that a 25hp could push a 500lb skiff because my 60hp was pushing a 1,500lb boat at 34mph. So my thought was the skiff is a 1/3 the weight so it'll be fine with a little less than 1/2 the HP with the 25.