Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

2 gators from saturday night.

Got a late request to help a DNR officer from N Georgia fill his gator tag at Lake Seminole. He had been trophy hunting and was now ready to go home with something. Another buddy was also going to be on the lake with his wife, who was the tag holder.

After watching the Noles lose another one, we hit the lake around 9pm. Right out of the gate we see a 6 footer laying on the hydrilla. Decide we may take him if we are empty handed on the way back to the ramp. Did the ole run and gun on several gators but nothing over 6ft. Then I saw one moving pretty good across a hydrilla bed. Ran up to him and he was a man, 10ft or better. The shot was taken with the bow, but was missed. We moved 100 yards out and waited for him to come back up. We then heard a low bellow coming from an island several hundred yards away. We cranked up and ran over there to see 2 sets of eyes. The first gator was around 10ft, the shot was made and missed again. The second gator was 8-9ft and left the scene before we could attempt anything. Then my buddy called and said he had one on the line. We started moving towards where he was. On the way over, we ran across an 8 footer and the shot was made, and missed again. We ran across the channel and found my buddy doing this.
ryanonhook.jpg

He hooked the gator at 11:45 and it was now 12:30. Gator had surfaced one time and was now laying 35 feet below on the bottom of the lake. After a few minutes, we decide to work back and try to find one of the gators we missed. Well almost nothing cooperated until we went into this little cove. With the bow in the bottom of the boat, the harpoon was handed out. We pull into the cove and there is one that looks to be 7ft. Decision is quickly made to attempt capture, harpoon is thrown, and a miss. We gather the harpoon and make a circle, and I see a set of eyes making haste to the sawgrass. I run him down and the harpoon is thrown and the bouy is pulled over the gunnel of the boat. Gator on, finally. Well he runs 15 feet up into the sawgrass before the bouy catches the edge of the sawgrass. We quickly tie the rope to a cleat and then get a 2nd harpoon ready. We pull into the sawgrass and hit him with the second harpoon. We then pull him out of the grass and dispatch him with the pistol. 8' 1"
8gator.jpg

After we get a breather and hydrate we head back and see how my buddy is doing. When we get there, this is what we find.
ryanonhook.jpg

Its now 1:30am and the gator has been on the hook for 2 hours, has come up twice and is back down. We get our pole out and we manage to put another hook in the gator. Now with 2 rods bow'd up, he's starting to come off the bottom. Slowly and surely he makes his way up and the harpoon is deployed to get a good line in him in case the 80# braid on the fishing poles break. The harpoon takes and he takes off pulling the jug out of the boat. Looked like a scene from JAWS with 2 fishing poles zinging and a jug bouncing off the water. Gator ran about 30 yards and then we pull him back to the boat. One of the 80# lines break, and we quickly put a second harpoon in for good measure. 2 shots from the bang stick and we bring a half dead gator in the boat. Had to cut the spinal cord so he would quit hissing at us. It's now 2:30am and they are finally headed back to the landing with one that measured 10' 10".
1010gator.jpg

That 3 hour, deep water gator hunting is for the birds. From the time we harpooned ours to when he hit the deck, about 30 minutes had elapsed. Home and in bed by 4am.

That makes 6 gators I've had the pleasure of helping with this year. 10'10", 10'9", 8'1", 6'5", 6', 6'.

Replies

• dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    Y'all need a new trigger man!!!
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Nice lizard. Pothole's shooting at his crib on Wednesday....
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    Sounds like your shooter had the Bulldog field goal kickers luck... Nice gators though! I'm gonna have to do that at Seminole in the next couple of years. I bet the teenage stepdaughter would find it a blast.
  • bbbbbb Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Rhettley wrote: »
    Sounds like your shooter had the Bulldog field goal kickers luck... Nice gators though! I'm gonna have to do that at Seminole in the next couple of years. I bet the teenage stepdaughter would find it a blast.

Better start applying now. Takes about 4 rejection points to get picked.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    very cool cool report!

hey limitless!, check this out!
    God, save the South!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,198 AG
    LOL about what your friend was doing and his look each time you checked on him. Congrats on the gators :beer
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    How do you prepare the meat? I've had some from several 5 or 6 footers but even that tail meat was tuff and stringy. I prefer to grill things but fried seemed to be about the only way to make it taste decent. I did try marinating it and using a tenderizing knife tool with only minimal improvement.
  • bbbbbb Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Rhettley wrote: »
    How do you prepare the meat? I've had some from several 5 or 6 footers but even that tail meat was tuff and stringy. I prefer to grill things but fried seemed to be about the only way to make it taste decent. I did try marinating it and using a tenderizing knife tool with only minimal improvement.

The processor we used this year ran the meat through a tenderizer. Made a world of difference. Soak in buttermilk for 12 hours and then flour and fry.

The gator from a few years ago was just de-boned and only a few pieces were not tough and stringy.
    On the tail meat, do you cut across the tail or cut it from the head towards the tip? Or does it matter? I've noticed the muscle groups run head to tip and could be pulled like a loin. The last I had was like slices with the spine/tailbone in the middle.
  • Sopchoppy RedneckSopchoppy Redneck Posts: 1,421 Officer
    How we do them "ummm, how I heard to do them":angel is to cut the skin length ways along the bottom of the tail, then skin out the meat, then remove the sections from the tail, cut into lengths that will fit in ice chest, put meat and butter milk into ice chest with ice, let it stay in for about a day, remove from nasty looking butter milk, rinse meat well and put it back on ice for another day:icon10 The butter milk will remove a lot of the muddy flavor and tenderize it:applause
    Slice it into appr. 1" chunks and quick fry it:dance
    YouDontLikeMe.jpg