First trip in new to me boat! 12-16 More Rat Reds, and a Snook

About the boat
So it's not the best boat for shallow water but it's alot better than the 4,000lb deck boat I've been using. I bought it yesterday it's a 15.5ft skiff 16.5ft to the motor, very narrow (smaller than a j16 I believe) so it's alot lighter and is powered by a 2006 Honda 15hp 4 stroke. Engine runs flawlessly and is an electric start, 1 touch it was on every time. The trailer looks brand new. Now the boat just needs a little trolling motor has a transom style mount on the front. And I need to pack lighter and me and Jake could lose a few pounds to get the boat moving a little faster. It's clear that it's very weight sensitive. Had a 20lb anchor which needs to be replaced with a lighter one. Didn't use 2 gallons of gas ALL DAY so no need for 8 gallons on board. Or the big cooler. Top speed was about 18mph moving things around wish I could get it over 20mph. Boat floats in about 3" of water and has a littler higher transom that I may be able to add a jack plate. I made a pvc handle for it on the way out so I can stand and drive which was awesome. And I also installed the little rod holders last night. The fish finder in the boat was surprising good, wasn't expecting much but the water temp. depth. and battery voltage all work great. All in all I think I got a great deal for $1800.

About the fishing
Didn't get on the water till around noon. Launched at the barge canal since I bought this boat to test the shallower water and maybe find some creeks everyones been killing the reds lately. But I'm still just as lost as ever... boat doesn't find the fish :banghead Anyways everywhere we went there was no water even for this boat scrapped it up a little and spooked some fish but we didn't get to far in before giving up and heading to the hot water discharge. Tossed yozuri's for snook for a little bit and nothing. So we started trolling which was easier than I thought with the tiller handle and landed 4 monster jacks both double hookups. Headed back to the barge canal through crazy shallow water didn't feel like going around the oysters went exploring through them! Got back to the ramp fished a dock 20 yards from it and it was loaded with rat reds caught 15 in less than an hour and had 1 big one break me off and 1 medium size snook. Fun way to end the day and get some fish in the new boat. Love spending less than $5 of gas in the boat for 5 hours on the water. Boat get over 20 miles to the gallon.

Go Pro Video

http://youtu.be/ruI06C04ELU

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nice little boat, now you just have to learn to fish the skinny stuff....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 874 Officer
    :thumbsup Like the boat.
  • mitziboymitziboy Posts: 328 Officer
    Nice ride brother! You'll forsure be able to slay the reds this winter, be careful...
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Nice boat. you guys will catch em all now that you can get to them. That looks like a good boat for the Chass.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,885 Moderator
    Good deal ? That's an outstanding deal !

You have a skiff that can be tricked out to your liking . Keep in mind that a trolling motor with battery will add 100 lbs but will make life a lot easier. Looks like it will be easy to pole from the bow..
    I had a 14' jon boat with a 25hp and it would fly , and was easy to handle alone. I miss that skiff.

Congrats on the new ride !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    I think you may have a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom but it's hard to tell. If you can get a jack plate or riser plate that will help your speed and draft.
  • sEA aRKERsEA aRKER Inglis fl.Posts: 123 Deckhand
    If your going to run standing , it's a good idea to have a attached cutoff switch .you might have one on , I just didn't see it. NICE looking rig .
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 639 Officer
    sEA aRKER wrote: »
    If your going to run standing , it's a good idea to have a attached cutoff switch .you might have one on , I just didn't see it. NICE looking rig .

Yea that's a good idea but I usually still don't run on a plane in shallow until I find a way to make it lifted or shorter shaft
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I think you may have a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom but it's hard to tell. If you can get a jack plate or riser plate that will help your speed and draft.

I'm thinking it is a long shaft I didn't think so at first but it seems low for this little boat. Hopefully I can get a manual plate for a 4" vertical lift because that's how far the cavitation plate is under the boat
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,105 Officer
    I'm thinking it is a long shaft I didn't think so at first but it seems low for this little boat. Hopefully I can get a manual plate for a 4" vertical lift because that's how far the cavitation plate is under the boat

It does look like the cav plate is way below the boat bottom nut it just may be the angle
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Sweet ride. You can go just about anywhere you want with that one.
  • CEMSGUYCEMSGUY Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Love the boat name! That was a nick name for a buddy of mine in high school.
    CEMSGUY wrote: »
    Love the boat name! That was a nick name for a buddy of mine in high school.

I love the name too! Haha might remove the beer sign tho
    MGD wrote: »
    It does look like the cav plate is way below the boat bottom nut it just may be the angle

Look at that picture again, you see it looks like 3 plates the last one is the cav plate where it should meet the bottom. Well it meets the middle one about 4" above so that's why I want a 4" vertical lift. Is it possible for under $200? I've seen some perfect ones online people built that look very easy for small engines for $40 of supplies and some time put in.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,240 Officer
    Nice little skiff! Jealous of your fuel economy. My barge gets 3 mpg if the water is fairly smooth, but only about 2 when it's rough. Check out something called "pro control" when you get your trolling motor. It's a handle that you push or pull to turn it in any direction. Love mine and very easy to use when fishing and using the troller at he same time.
    Yeah, you will pick up a LOT of speed when you get that lower unit up some. The cav plate should be like half an inch ABOVE the bottom of the transom! It's pretty easy to build your own fixed/adjustable jackplate with some 2x2 aluminum angle.
  • CEMSGUYCEMSGUY Posts: 121 Deckhand
    There are a couple of jack plates in Gainesville for 250-300 on craigslist. There is one listed in Lakeland for 50...http://lakeland.craigslist.org/boa/4799477885.html

You could also use www.searchtempest.com to search a radius of craigslist listings based on area code.
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    Cool lil boat, super clean. Google CMC marine. They have all kinds of mounts, jack plates. Good stuff. Nice setup, do it right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AKA Flatheadcat
  • FELLOW-SHIPFELLOW-SHIP Posts: 213 Deckhand
    This boat will open up a hole new dimensions of fishing for you + you got no big money invested, now you can say "when I'm in doubt I can go for it". It has a tiller motor, which will pop up without causing damaging or let's say (usually). We all need 3 boats one skinny boat, one flats or bay, and one offshore boat. All I need to do is hit the lottery.

:crossed
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,703 Captain
    I saw that boat for sale on Craigslist while looking for a Gheenoe.

I thought it had potential but I'm set on a Gheenoe. Hope you get it sorted out and you can get a mini jack plate for less than a hundred bucks that will allow you to use the long shaft on the boat. Here's one link: http://www.jmsonline.net/mini-jacker.htm?gclid=CNGX08TD0MICFUVk7Aod3XoAaA

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Here's a better pic cav plate 3-4" under transom
  • Corporate JetCorporate Jet Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I've used the TH Marine Mini Jacker on my Carolina Skiff J16 to mount a 20" motor on a 15" transom. It worked great and was very well made for the price. I mounted the cavitation plate about an inch above the transom and it worked perfect. There is no adjustment, once it is mounted but if you are okay with that it is a great product.
    Looks like a long shaft to me. You want that that to be above the bottom of the hull.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,819 Captain
    Good luck w/ Yer new ride Boys!! I'm sure we will see a whole bunch of super cool videos of you catching shallow water feesh in that baby once you get it set up to yer liking!!! I had a 14' Carolina Skiff w/ a 25hp back in the day I used in the 10 Thousand Islands before GPS! Learned a lot of great spots an caught a lot of fishies in that boat going out at high tide and getting myself lost! I sure miss those days and that small boat fishin!!! I still own a 2 man Sit-in Yack but just can't use it anymore> GRRRRRR!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Catfish_HunterCatfish_Hunter Posts: 261 Deckhand
    nice looking rig. that motor needs to come up about 5-6"... untill the flat plate above the prop is level with the bottom of the boat.
  • wildbillocalawildbillocala Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    You will catch more fish in that little boat than any other.

good luck and tight lines.