Venice Inlet - Mullet guys??

I'm looking at the real time web cam from the Crow's Nest Restaurant right now. The inlet is full of guys throwing cast nets. Be interesting to watch one of the big boats come in on plane and scatter the crowd. I had not seen this many mullet fishermen for years. Thought the bottom had dropped out of that market. Guess not.

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,288 Admiral
    Might see one the big boat owners get their head skint up.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,048 Captain
    Looking now - 24 hours later - not a boat in sight in the inlet. Always a puzzle?
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    joekat46 wrote: »
    I'm looking at the real time web cam from the Crow's Nest Restaurant right now. The inlet is full of guys throwing cast nets. Be interesting to watch one of the big boats come in on plane and scatter the crowd. I had not seen this many mullet fishermen for years. Thought the bottom had dropped out of that market. Guess not.

The demand is still there, but the price isn't, though it has reached $1.65 for red up in Tampa. Down here it's still about $1.20
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    joekat46 wrote: »
    Looking now - 24 hours later - not a boat in sight in the inlet. Always a puzzle?

No puzzle....the movements rely on the tides and cold fronts typically
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    My friends and I hang out at the Venice South Jetty in the mornings all year. Yes the mullet boats were there a day or two last week, but have not been back since. No big deal, it happens every year around this time of year. It don't bother us jetty fisherman. We/I like to see them make a good catch of mullet. I was at the jetty this morning 12/26/14 My friends are catching jacks. No other fish but jacks.
  • VenitianVenitian Posts: 85 Deckhand
    One day last week the mullet were thick in the ditch between Venice Inlet and the Circus bridge and the netters were there as well.
  • BwhntrBwhntr Posts: 51 Deckhand
    My mother-in-law family has been in Florida for many generations. She grew up poor and they basically ate what they could fish or shoot. The whole family loves skillet fried mullet. They'd be catching them to eat not sell.
  • onemorecastonemorecast Posts: 52 Deckhand
    I was talking with a mullet guy Monday night. The Sarasota and Bradenton guys will have land based spotters ( or boating friends) call them up with locations and will jump on it. Trailer the boat, work nights, etc. apparently many now only work the roe season. Might be worth up to a couple thousand bucks a night for a small operation. Guy I was talking to will go as far as St Pete if he can get a good school to himself... The spotters will cruise the area and make the call quickly, trying to get the netter to the schools before the crowd arrives.