Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Time to disconnect your On-Star

There was a major news story on TV a few days ago about ON-Star. I don't know if it went national so I am posting it. In a week or so On-Star will begin selling your information that they collect from your vehicle to third parties. It said On-Star has notified it's customers of this change in policy.

The information they can sell and have accumulated was a bit shocking to me. It included more or less trivial things like how often you change oil, when the oil changes are due and other maintenance items.

The things I was startled to know they could "see" were how fast you are driving, where you are driving, how often you were wearing your seatbelts, if the vehicle was in an accident and things of this ilk. It looks like they can read your on board computers and "see" everything you are doing. (I was told there are three recording computers on each vehicle but I do not know if that is true.)

Then the shocker - they intend to supply this information to insurance companies AND LAW ENFORCEMENT as well as others.

I did not know we had "Big Brother" riding in the cars with us.

I make the disconnect calls today. I just don't like the idea.

Replies

• UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    i agree
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,278 Admiral
    There was a major news story on TV a few days ago about ON-Star. I don't know if it went national so I am posting it. In a week or so On-Star will begin selling your information that they collect from your vehicle to third parties. It said On-Star has notified it's customers of this change in policy.

The information they can sell and have accumulated was a bit shocking to me. It included more or less trivial things like how often you change oil, when the oil changes are due and other maintenance items.

The things I was startled to know they could "see" were how fast you are driving, where you are driving, how often you were wearing your seatbelts, if the vehicle was in an accident and things of this ilk. It looks like they can read your on board computers and "see" everything you are doing. (I was told there are three recording computers on each vehicle but I do not know if that is true.)

Then the shocker - they intend to supply this information to insurance companies AND LAW ENFORCEMENT as well as others.

I did not know we had "Big Brother" riding in the cars with us.

I make the disconnect calls today. I just don't like the idea.

They went on to say even if you cancelled the subscription they would continue to track you. So the only option is disconnect the onstar on the vehicle. Discombobulate it.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    my border crossings have dropped
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,298 Admiral
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    It's been known for some time how the tracking can keep an eye on you.

Better check your cell phone too.

Yes but I just don't feel it's right to tell Law Enforcement or insurance companies how fast we drive of if we are wearing our seatbelts.

Can you see where this is going? Can you see where this could go?

I am certainly past the age of doing anything "illegal", but I sometimes drive a little fast and almost never stretch that seat belt around my huge girth. I don't was ins. or LEO having that info.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    My dad has one in his 'wife's' Buick... 1st 3 months free....

so they're in the car, "discussing" as well as programming the GARMIN GPS for the destination...
    A VOICE occupies the cockpit and announces, ON-STAR can give you turn by turn directions to your destination."

DUDE!, they were listening to the whole conversation.... that's creepy!
    God, save the South!