Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Weekend hunt reports...

Saturday, woke up with a Goose head - made it to stand - 2 small bucks came in and offered many shots - they sparred a lil - one bedded down even and then both left - 3 doe out of range.

Sunday, one deer off to my far right and then another an hour later...80 yards out. Look like doe, was thick.

# - NOTE - landowner fenced the far right side of his property with a 4 foot high wire fence as did the owner with the pasture/pond - things may change until they start jumping said fence...hope it doesn't screw things up.
Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...

Replies

• StonewallStonewall Posts: 848 Officer
    Friday evening two deer out of range right at dark couldn't tell what they were. Buddy stuck a doe so I got to help drag one out. Sat am, hunted till 10:30 and nothing. Worked on foodplots all afternoon then called it quits too darn hot.
    Can't never did try!
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,393 Moderator
    Killed a doe from a ground blind Sat. morning. First kill from a blind and it was awesome. At 30 yards a grown doe appears to be 200 pounds! I see myself getting another blind or two and hunting them more often. It also allows the opportunity to take the wife or girlfriend and it makes videoing the hunt more feasible.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Bigfoot wrote: »

# - NOTE - landowner fenced the far right side of his property with a 4 foot high wire fence as did the owner with the pasture/pond - things may change until they start jumping said fence...hope it doesn't screw things up.
    That fence aint gonna bother them one bit. IF they want over they will cross.
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    Mullet wrote: »
    Killed a doe from a ground blind Sat. morning. First kill from a blind and it was awesome. At 30 yards a grown doe appears to be 200 pounds! I see myself getting another blind or two and hunting them more often. It also allows the opportunity to take the wife or girlfriend and it makes videoing the hunt more feasible.

See what I've been talking about?!! Very cool sitting in a ground blind or just a chair in some bushes or backed up to some low limbs. A tent blind does allow a lot more movement and does a pretty good job of suppressing some scent. If I can get my shoulder back to where I can draw a bow I'll try to stick one from the ground this year. I might have to trade in the 1992 Hoyt to do it I guess.
  • StonewallStonewall Posts: 848 Officer

That is awesome! Killed a doe a few seasons ago in ground blind with my son who was six at the time. One of my top hunts ever!!
    Can't never did try!
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral

Wow!!! Auston's kill sunday evening was from a ground blind and at 30 yards. LOL!!!
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    Which one are you taking first? (Sorry Mullette, I couldn't hep myself. :))

There's room for both actually. Luckily they get along.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Thing about the ground blind is - you can slip in/out very quiet. One of my best hunts ever was seeing one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen while on any stand - in my ground blind. Picked him up early enough to have the whole thing play out like a script - except the last step I needed him to take didn't happen - was @ full draw forever and then watched him leave seeing nothing but his *** - he was 15-20 yards WALLHANGER!

I wanted to send the missle up his rear end but knew the hip shot was the only one to take...

My blind it too small and I'm too big for bow really...need the double bull.
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Yall do not notice the deer being weary of the ground blind? I bought one a few years ago but felt like the deer were always "looking" at it.
    hooknreds wrote: »
    Yall do not notice the deer being weary of the ground blind? I bought one a few years ago but felt like the deer were always "looking" at it.

Deer do "look" at it, but the don't spook. Several times I could swear that those deer were looking right at me but they never spooked or ran.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Heck, last year I sat on the ground in a chair next to a tree and killed three from that spot.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,135 AG
    Like any stand that stays in the woods, the key is to get it in the woods early as possible like before the season starts. Once they get used to it they won't pay it any mind unless they bust you in it.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    Like any stand that stays in the woods, the key is to get it in the woods early as possible like before the season starts.

We move them around a good bit. We put this stand it last Sunday. I shot the deer the next sat. morning. We make sure to nestle them into a good back drop and brush them in. Those deer knew something looked different but not enough to alarm them.
    We move them around a good bit. We put this stand it last Sunday. I shot the deer the next sat. morning. We make sure to nestle them into a good back drop and brush them in. Those deer knew something looked different but not enough to alarm them.

wild deer don't know any better - City deer, now there's a smart deer fer ya.

It's all an ambush...

Why do you move them so much?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Deer don't like to feed in their family's blood trails.

We use cameras alot, as the food sources change and the does move, so do the bucks. It's a lot of acreage.
    Bigfoot wrote: »
    wild deer don't know any better - City deer, now there's a smart deer fer ya.

Apparently smarter than you. lol
    I hunted golf balls this weekend and fortunately none of them were mine.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    I hit the links as well. Now that im playing more, the scores are coming way way down.

I didn't hunt this weekend. I can't find one to hunt.
  • Team OutlawTeam Outlaw Posts: 253 Officer
    I also follow the food and does like Mullet . I stopped using lock on type stands about Five years ago and only hunt climbers . The best chance at a big deer is the first few times you sit a new set . Also if I get busted I can move a few yards down and its a whole new ball game. I have gotten shots off of hard headed nannies that were staring down the tree I had been in before . Ever since I have changed to this style of hunting I have killed three Pope and Young deer in Five years and passed on what I know on were at least Four other Pope and Young deer . I was stupid and had gotten what I like to call the Mid West syndrome and didn't want to shoot a deer that was or was right at 150 . Not so much any more. 130 and better gets smoked now .
    I also follow the food and does like Mullet . I stopped using lock on type stands about Five years ago and only hunt climbers . The best chance at a big deer is the first few times you sit a new set . Also if I get busted I can move a few yards down and its a whole new ball game. I have gotten shots off of hard headed nannies that were staring down the tree I had been in before . Ever since I have changed to this style of hunting I have killed three Pope and Young deer in Five years and passed on what I know on were at least Four other Pope and Young deer . I was stupid and had gotten what I like to call the Mid West syndrome and didn't want to shoot a deer that was or was right at 150 . Not so much any more. 130 and better gets smoked now .

When I see a deer and feel like shooting, I shoot - If I don't - I don't. I've passed on a some good size deer only because it was an "iffy" shot. If I have to think about whether to shoot - I don't.

- that is all that matters to me.

Climber increases my chances of getting the RIGHT shot, because my confidence is higher with the safety and ability to spin 180, etc. The Killin tree is well worn from the climber...
  • Team OutlawTeam Outlaw Posts: 253 Officer
    Yep, I have decided to make Deer hunting fun again . I have already shot three and of all years I decided to do this we aren't having the tournament. On a side note BF I get to take a trip up your way at some point this year (possibly ) and hunt a 2500 acre piece somewhere just outside of Atlanta . I think a lot of it is in the burbs however idk really .
    We use cameras alot, as the food sources change and the does move, so do the bucks. It's a lot of acreage.

Are you allowed to kill a buck where you hunt?

dewyafish wrote: »
    Deer don't like to feed in their family's blood trails.

BS
    Are you allowed to kill a buck where you hunt?

This year, yes.
    Kill a big one.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,985 Captain
    I sat Saturday from 9 - 12 and saw nothing. Went back that afternoon at 5 and hunted again. At 7:25, I put my range finder in the case and started making preparations to leave since at 7:40 it would be too dark to hunt where I was. At 7:28 a doe walked out and came straight toward me. I waited til she settled down a little and took the shot. Scared her really good too. Unfortunately, I rushed it because it was getting dark. Took the range finder out again only to discover that what I thought was 30 yards was actually 36 or 37. My bad. From now on, I don't put the range finder away until I can't see anymore.

She wasn't huge by any means, but it would have been the second shot I've had with the bow gun. First one was a hit, but lost her. That was 2 years ago. I'd really like to let the air out of one.
    Proverbs 13:3
    I sat Saturday from 9 - 12 and saw nothing. Went back that afternoon at 5 and hunted again. At 7:25, I put my range finder in the case and started making preparations to leave since at 7:40 it would be too dark to hunt where I was. At 7:28 a doe walked out and came straight toward me. I waited til she settled down a little and took the shot. Scared her really good too. Unfortunately, I rushed it because it was getting dark. Took the range finder out again only to discover that what I thought was 30 yards was actually 36 or 37. My bad. From now on, I don't put the range finder away until I can't see anymore.

She wasn't huge by any means, but it would have been the second shot I've had with the bow gun. First one was a hit, but lost her. That was 2 years ago. I'd really like to let the air out of one.

stay after it FF,

Never used the bowgun, but I'd imagine you better dang sure like anything else have her sighter in perfect. Missing @ that range with a bowgun, I'd be checking the sights....
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,985 Captain
    Sights are dead on. Jake killed one with it last week. It was the Indian ..... wrong yardage.
    Proverbs 13:3
    Lot's of deer buggered up since the legalization of the bow gun.

It's still a bow and it takes practice just like a regular compound bow.
    (Not saying that you don't parctice, FF.)