Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

Thread recommendation

Well the title says it all. What thread do you prefer using and why? TIA

Replies

• TheonethatgotawayTheonethatgotaway Posts: 93 Deckhand
    I use Sulky brand. If you sign up at Jo Ann fabric you can get huge discounts and have instant access to all their products. They are having a bogo sale on it right now. It's close to size A tread and las down nice. Stay away from size D metallic thread unless you have lots of experience.
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,879 Captain
    Right on...there's a JoAnn fabric within 5 minutes of my house. :beer
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,383 Captain
    Size A Gudebrod nylon, I can't stand ncp or polyester threads. For metallic I use Robison Anton J metallic.
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,879 Captain
    Size A Gudebrod nylon, I can't stand ncp or polyester threads. For metallic I use Robison Anton J metallic.

Where are you getting it from? ebay? :beer
    Binder wrote: »
    Where are you getting it from? ebay?

I've had it for a while. I have 8 spools that are a little bit smaller than a beer can. 1 is marked 3480yds, the others just say size a nylon rw. I build 2-3 rods a year, so the ocean will run out of fish long before I run out of thread. I have to get creative with the Robison Anton, usually eBay.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,844 Captain
    Hate to break it to you -but Gudebrod is out of business now so all of us (and I'm a long time Gudebrod user) will be scouting E-Bay and other sources for the rod wrapping thread we need when we run out of one color or the other... Heck I even still have three bulk spools of the old Holland thread (discontinued more than 30 years ago) so I'm not in really bad shape yet.

Seriously go to Mudhole.com or any other big rod building supply outfits and check out the threads they offer and that's pretty much what's currently available (and current thread makes are every bit as good as the old Gudebrod stuff). For beginners you're going to want two sizes of thread, a fine thread for under wrapping and a larger diameter thread for actually wrapping the guides on top of the underwrapping. That's size A for the under wrapping uses (in whaterver colors you need) and size C or D for the actual guides stuff...

One last tip.... thread comes either untreated or already color proofed (and won't change color when you apply finish). The un-treated thread will either need a few coats of color preserver before any rod finish to keep its color or it will darken and go semi-transparent when you add finish (which is my preference -see the wraps on any fly rod to see what un-treated thread looks like after a coat of finish...). Hope this helps.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I'll elaborate a little on what Bob said. NCP thread looks like paint when finished, standard nylon looks like hard candy. Color preserver (chromaseal) creates a barrier between your thread and epoxy, so they eventually begin to peel after a few years of steady use. It's worse with cold climates, I've seen steelhead rods begin peeling after a single season. And I use size A for everything, everyone has their preferences.
  • fisherking73fisherking73 Posts: 209 Officer
    Madeira, some CP. Never had a problem. Have rods that have been abused on drift boats, piers, and keys by friends I have made for. No peeling issues as of yet, and several of the rods over 5 years old. Combinations are endless. But for beginner I would keep it simple with some NCP thread. A for everything too like Ol'Dirty, unless guide foots were really big and bulky, but foot prep is a whole other chapter.
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,099 Officer
    I'm curious as to why you use size C or D for wrapping the guides. I tend to use size A for everything. Is there a problem with using size A to wrap guides?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,844 Captain
    No problem whatsoever -but it does take a bit more skill to work with the smaller diameter threads without showing gaps, etc. when you're building one up.

There is one tiny drawback to rods wrapped with fine diameter thread -but it only occurs with age and hard use... finer threads are a bit easier to wear through in really hard use where the rod actually occasionally gets rubbed along a gunnel with a big fish at the boat (big tarpon will put an angler in some difficult positions right at the boat since you just can't control them until they're pretty tired out..). Because a few of my heavier rods have had that problem I went back to using a bit heavier thread to secure the guides (as well as a bit heavier finish on guide feet). Hope this helps
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666