sunday wahoo's

it had been a little over 6 weeks since we got the boat in the water, weather, school and work finally all cooperated , and a much wanted ( needed) trip offshore became reality, me , my neighbor and my son, we cleared mayport jetty around 545 am and headed SE to 18 line were I had caught some wahoos back in early October. Also near some of my favorite triggers spots in case the trolling didn't work out we would get some triggers( found out while trolling via radio that they area closed so no bottom fishing ...) . started trolling around 715 am and headed south, there were some raging rips near the ledge with very well defined weed lines with 76 deg outside and 73 inside , no wahoos there in early am for us. Still trying to figure out the high speed thing with my boat, not an easy task hard to get her on plane around 13 to 15 knots, get past 15 and she wants to jump to plus 20 knots, we kept on working it and moving weights, changing lures etc, moved in to 130 feet of water at the 23 line nice temp 72 and short flat starts to sing around 11 am got our first high speed trolling hoo in the boat!!!!, lines back in water and then got a nice fish 57.5 lbs, then back to monotony of trolling switched to baits at 1 30 pm back out to 18 line 170 feet, got a little one around 230 pm and then started to make my way home and got 1 last one at 430 pm and time to head for home. You can tell my son is all smiles after a day like that .

Replies

• creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 640 Officer
    Awesome fish! Great report!
  • knot tightknot tight Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Nice job on the wahoo guys. That's one of the best I have heard from Sunday.
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,620 Moderator
    Nice
    Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • ConvertedConverted Posts: 117 Officer
    Great job Mike, and I love the smiles and the hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • benchmarkbenchmark Posts: 205 Deckhand
    Great job, pretty work there!! Good thing you heard about the trigger!!!
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,410 Officer
    Great report and photos. Glad you guys had a great day on the water.
    That's excellent your son got to experience that day offshore with you (well done dad!).
    Thanks for taking the time to post your report and photos!
    Brian
  • out of the blueout of the blue Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Converted wrote: »
    Great job Mike, and I love the smiles and the hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yup me too!!! i guess it is the lucky hat to be on the boat!!!. thanks for all the teaching you gave me when we went out on your boat, it paid off
  • out of the blueout of the blue Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Great report and photos. Glad you guys had a great day on the water.
    That's excellent your son got to experience that day offshore with you (well done dad!).
    Thanks for taking the time to post your report and photos!
    Brian

it is always a blessing to have them on the boat, it just makes my day, my kids don't mind if a little or big fish as long as it pulls drag and gets on the boat ( then to the grill :) )
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,146 Admiral
    Thanks for the great report, and congrats on the fish!
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,061 Officer
    WTG Capt! The smile on your son's face tells it all. Thanks for the report!
  • Jared DJared D Fernandina Beach Posts: 399 Deckhand
    Great report.
    What is the closure all about? I haven't been offshore in a while so I am probably slipping on keeping up with all the regulations we are forced to live by. Is this a specific area closure or a whole bottom closure?
  • Knot2WorryKnot2Worry Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Jared D wrote: »
    Great report.
    What is the closure all about? I haven't been offshore in a while so I am probably slipping on keeping up with all the regulations we are forced to live by. Is this a specific area closure or a whole bottom closure?

A lot of of the bottom fish are closed for awhile, of course including the Red Snapper, grouper and triggers are closed. Triggers are supposed to open back in Jan if I recall correctly. Short closer for them, but closed none the less. It's getting rediculous trying to remember what is closed and what's still available to keep, along with the different sizes & limits of each species. Before you go out, have an idea of what you are targeting and find out if it's legal to keep them before spending the time getting prepared and hopes up, only to find out on the way to the offshore grounds, the season is closed for that fish.
    Capt. of "Knot 2 Worry Fishing Team"
    24' CC Hydra-Sport w/ t-150 Yahamas
  • minnowsnmonstersminnowsnmonsters Posts: 367 Deckhand
    Nice report and great job on the wahoo!
    Knot2Worry wrote: »
    A lot of of the bottom fish are closed for awhile, of course including the Red Snapper, grouper and triggers are closed. Triggers are supposed to open back in Jan if I recall correctly.

Hopefully you didn't let any grouper swim free and instead introduced them to your grill.Grouper are open through the last day of this month,

http://safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/FishGallery/GagGrouper/

then are closed until May 1st which has been the case for several years. The only sudden change has been the closure on triggerfish which just happened about a week ago and lasts until January 1st.
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,175 Officer
    Nice job!