Skip to main content
Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Heads up for users of Zyrtec

This fall I had more sinus issues than I have in the past. I'm not sure if it was the extra mowing that I was having to do or what, but I started taking the publix generic version of Zyrtec. I took it for 6-8 weeks and recently decided the season had passed and I could get off and, hopefully, go back to normal. Little did I know the impact that would have...

So last Tuesday I took my last pill. By Thursday night it started. Itching, rash and hives. I had this before when I left for the weekend and forgot to take it but didn't think much of it. Now, with this setting in, I did a little online research and apparently this is a common problem for Zyrtec users over extended periods when you stop taking it. Your body is so accustomed to the histamine blockers in your system that it causes an extreme reaction the other way when you stop.

So here I sit, 5 days in. The hives/rash on my stomach has subsided. But the rash/hives/itching on my feet and legs has gotten worse. It seems like it's got to make it way through the entire body... I've had extreme itching and hives or rash pretty much everywhere on my body at some point over the last 5 days. Crown of my head, face (eye lids, lips, ears) neck, arms, chest, back, legs, ankles, feet - you name it!

So, take this as a warning if you decide you need some allergy meds - avoid Zyrtec if you're going to take it for any length of time. It seems your body will be "addicted" to it and the withdrawl symptoms are extreme and WILL make you miserable for a yet undetermined amount of time.

Hopefully this will save some from the agony that I've been going through lately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Replies

• BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,382 Admiral
    Been on it daily for years, I've stopped several times with no side effects.

Been meaning to give it a break again, will report back.

Hope ya get Better
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • stc1993stc1993 Posts: 10,165 AG
    That's rough I know, I get hives every 2 or 3 months don't know what causes them. I usually take benadryl for it. Hope you get better soon.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Bigfoot wrote: »

It seems that not everyone has this issue when coming off. Glad you're not one of them.
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    Any way the Doctor can bring you off slowly by giving gradually diminishing dosages?

I haven't specifically asked him about it, but then again he didn't not put me on it. I just started taking it to help with the allergies/sinus issues that I was having this fall. I've thought a couple of times about taking a half a pill and trying to step down off it, but am afraid to go back at this point. I've read some reports that every time that some try to come off it that it gets worse and as bad as I've had it I just don't want to chance it.

Starting day 6 of itchy :willynilly
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 707 Officer
    That's one of the problems of self-medicating. Some "over the counter" meds should still be used with a doctor's involvement; your physician should be informed of any meds you are on. Also, any prescription drug that has gone over the counter - I'm not using the generic.

I hope that the bad reactions will taper off quickly for you.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• micci_manmicci_man Posts: 15,001 AG

Why? are your allergies that bad all the time that you have to take it daily?

Hope if gets better for you Justin.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    Why? are your allergies that bad all the time that you have to take it daily?

Hope if gets better for you Justin.

Doc buddy said to take it 365 - mine are not that bad - didn't take any last PM and all goot so far...BEASTMODE!
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
    Doc buddy said to take it 365 - mine are not that bad - didn't take any last PM and all goot so far...BEASTMODE!

Mine took nearly 2 days before they started to show. One day and it wasn't a problem. Day 2 that evening showed. Day 3 around 2A-5A was MISERABLE!
    Long term usage can lead to delusional thinking, aggressive reactions, hallucinations and other effects.

Probably not a good idea to take it continuously.

At least we know what's wrong with him now ;)
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,547 Admiral
    Get the 6 day steroid pack - 6 the first day, then 5 down to one the last day. You will not believe how fast that pack will just about heal anything! Been using it for years.
    Get the 6 day steroid pack - 6 the first day, then 5 down to one the last day. You will not believe how fast that pack will just about heal anything! Been using it for years.

Playing with fire, careful
    Long term usage can lead to delusional thinking, aggressive reactions, hallucinations and other effects.

Probably not a good idea to take it continuously.

High tolerance
    omegafoo wrote: »
    At least we know what's wrong with him now ;)

:rotflmao
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 852 Officer
    I particularly like the delusional thinking. It's why I haven't missed a dose in decades......
  • micci_manmicci_man Posts: 15,001 AG
    I'm the opposite, I don't like taking anything unless I REALLY need it. I get a cold about once every other year. No allergies at all. My wife and both kids have been sick the last 2 weeks and I think it is finally trying to get on me.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Alkaline water
  • IAMIAM Posts: 234 Officer
    Just a wierd question, but do you eat beef daily? There is similar reaction that can happen with beef resulting from tick bites (I have it). Not sure if you have been hunting. I spent two months before I figured it out.
    I don't eat beef daily. Most of my lunches are either a boars head blazing buffalo chicken sandwich or the boars head Cajun turkey, both on honey wheat bread. I might eat beef once a week, on a good week, for dinner. More chicken or venison products than anything.

Since I'm updating, the hives have mostly subsided. They're still there but not in the full force they once were and not to the point of driving you insane-most of the time. Usually only deal with them in the morning or evenings and not such much while I'm going during the middle of the day. I can certainly say I won't take that stuff again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    methylprednisolone - has healed sun poisoning, rashes, and other afflictions in the past for me. Ask your doctor about it if you are in distress ever again.