Rain, wind, cold water, sun never came out, good time to fly fish!!!

SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 661 Officer
With wind forecast to gust to 25 MPH I had to find a place to hide. I was in the Tomoka area, water temp was cold at 61 degrees, rained off and on all day, Sun never came out. I failed to get a bite from the small Poons I was around all morning but the Snook were chewing. I had the hook pull on a good Snook, possible slot fish, on a #2 Shrimp fly. Switched to 2/0 Bend backs, white/gray with dark green and blue flash, brown with dark green and gold flash. I ended the day with nineteen Snook from 17" to 22", and one small ****. They chewed up six flies. Water temp never got over 62 degrees, but the fish were spunky and strong, lots of fun on 8 pound tippet. Most all came from fallen trees.
https://sites.google.com/site/thejonboatadvantage/

Replies

• E-typeE-type Posts: 246 Officer
    :thumbsup
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 661 Officer
    I had Friday off, it was cold and windy. Water temps 57 degrees, thought I would catch nothing but hard to believe I ended up with four Snook, and one Tarpon, on the Shrimp fly. Had a few pulled hooks also. North Tomoka water temp 57, South of 95 was 56 degrees. Found some 60 degree water, with no bites. Man it was cold and windy though.
  • shallow thinkershallow thinker Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Good reports. I spent one spring morning fishing on the Tomoka. That is a very nice little river.
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 997 Officer
    Tight work…..
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 263 Deckhand
    Nice! I bet those baby Poons' are fun.
    remo_5_0 wrote: »
    Nice! I bet those baby Poons' are fun.

Kinda boring really, a challenge to get the bite the Snook fight much better. The best part about Tarpon, is they get BIG!!!
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Way to go Bro!!! Great job,...

You and those shrimp flies are hard to separate!

Keep up the great work!
    redjim wrote: »
    Way to go Bro!!! Great job,...

You and those shrimp flies are hard to separate!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks, I can't say for sure it's the fly, or the fact it was fished real slow as close to the bottom as possible. I do have confidence in them though. With the cold water slow is the way to go. The week before I threw a Clouser for a while with only a couple of short bites, and no hook ups. Then the Shrimp fly, and Bend backs worked great.