Fly swap challenge!

Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,325 Captain
Okeedokee, in a couple days those who participated in the fly swap will start recieving their flies. The first participant to post a photo of a fly caught gamefish (jacks & ladys don't count), will recieve a brand spanking new fly line (winner chooses, airflo or SA). The fly must be identified by the tyer, so make sure you get good pics. There will be a secondary prize for the tyer of the winning fly, and I have no idea what it is yet. Good luck!!

Replies

• ReelOfSteelReelOfSteel Posts: 130 Deckhand
    That's actually an awesome idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • RCarbonRCarbon Posts: 256 Officer
    I caught this Redfish this morning on the "Disco Shrimp"... I don't know who tied it, but many, many thanks right here.. I fished Tampa Bay at my favorite "negative low tide" flat and saw a dozen tailers 75 yards away from the skiff.. Donned my waders and headed after the tails.. These redfish are extremely spooky, so I made a 50' cast about 3' to the left of the slow moving tailers and waited a few seconds for the reds to get close to the fly.. 3 or 4 strips and it was game on.. I waded back to the boat to snap a few photos and let her go (Good Karma). Not a monster, but a respectable 22" red, nonetheless..

Ol' Dirty... If your offer is still good for the fly line, I would like to try Ridge Clear Tip Tropical in 11wt. floating if you have it for my Tarpon outfit.. If you do not stock 11wt, then I'd like the same line in 7wt. floating for the outfit you see in the photo.. I use Ridge Tropical Tan on most of my rods, but would lover to try the "clear tip" floating line.

Thank you for hosting the swap and the fly swap challenge..

Bob

P.S. I'd like to buy 3 or 4 more Disco Skrimps from the tyer, if you willing.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,325 Captain
    Rcarbon, very nice fish. Unfortunately Greenie-slayer took the prize last week, and SaltyDancingDave tied the winning fly. They posted on the swap thread last weekend. I'm assuming everyone received their prizes. Greenie's package was addressed to "Greenie", so I really don't know.
  • RCarbonRCarbon Posts: 256 Officer
    No worries... Congrats to the winners and thank you again for hosting the fly swap!
    And I have a care package from all of you for project healing waters, thanks to all who participated!
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Posts: 1,255 Officer
    The mystery prize for tying has rounded out the all purpose Florida fly fishing box 3 times over !

Tried this list of names to ID & pair with the flies they tied to put in the all purpose Florida fly box!

FSForum Fly Swap Fall 2014 Flies

FLPT redfish bug

Johnny Sebastian bunny monster

R Carbon schminnow

Mr Buzzfly poppers

Capt Paul spoon fly

backbone EP PB chartreuse-white

ODC itty bitty shrimp

SDD gurgler

Joe BC kwan variation

Mudminner tan gurgler

greenieslayer chartreuse/grizzly baitfish

Amurican copper kwan

Waterbear EP bendback
  • E-typeE-type Posts: 246 Officer
    Good job, Dancing Dave!:thumbsup
    E-type wrote: »
    Good job, Dancing Dave!:thumbsup

Thanks Dan ! Guess I've still got it; albeit a lot older & slower !
    The mystery prize for tying has rounded out the all purpose Florida fly fishing box 3 times over !

I was a little surprised that no one made poppers for the swap. Congrats Dave, now put them to work!
    I was a little surprised that no one made poppers for the swap. Congrats Dave, now put them to work!

Guessing everyone thought Mr Buzzfly with magazine cover poppers had that fly spot taken.
    Working on getting warmer for the next new moon fishing !