Tarpon and Bridges

Heading to Islamorada for a few days and wondering if tarpon are still around the bridges in that area. We were there in June and very much enjoyed a bit of fishing from one of the bridges and seeing the tarpon was a thrill for all the kids...and me! Tight lines! and thanks for any info.

Replies

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 554 Officer
    There may be a few around but nothing close to the numbers you would have seen in June. If you are just wanting to show the kids tarpon go to Robbies and hand feed them off the dock or just about any of the marina's will have a few hanging around the basins and fish cleaning tables.

Also, most evenings right at sunset they feed the sharks and tarpon in the little basin at Islamorada Fish Company. You will see some massive Lemmon sharks and occasional bull sharks cruise in for a free meal.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Tiger is right and for the kids, this is your best bet. If I absolutely HAD TO get a tarpon bite this time of year, I would slow troll a live mullet in the inner harbor at Key West. This is where the shrimp boats used to dock, years ago. Anyway, there is a population of year round fish there, holding in the warmer water that the power plant dumps out.
    .......Rick
  • BocaBocaBocaBoca Posts: 607 Officer
    Thank you all for suggestions. Robbie's is a must stop for us every trip. Actually took our Christmas card pic there last year. Just love it and the vibe. Regardless of what we end up doing it will be an enjoyable break. Happy Thanksgiving to you all and your families. Very much appreciate the people and advice and sharing on the FS forums!.