Home General Fishing

Help Stop the Manatee Zone Madness

genegene Posts: 48 Deckhand
FWC is seeking public comment on adding another manatee zone.

You don't have to live in the affected area to comment. If you would prefer to see manatee zones reduced and removed, please send in your comments.

Here's their recent email
http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/dde105

You can contact FWC's executive director here
http://m.myfwc.com/contact/fwc-staff/senior-staff/contact-executive-director/

Replies

  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Its such a political matter and has nothing to do with manatees. A quick look at manatee studies and FWC numbers can tell you recreational boat traffic has little effect.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    we need to protect those gentle giants..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    we need to protect those gentle giants..

    I hear they eat blue claw crabs........
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    gene wrote: »
    FWC is seeking public comment on adding another manatee zone.

    You don't have to live in the affected area to comment. If you would prefer to see manatee zones reduced and removed, please send in your comments.

    Here's their recent email
    http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/dde105

    You can contact FWC's executive director here
    http://m.myfwc.com/contact/fwc-staff/senior-staff/contact-executive-director/

    I would prefer to see the zones increased. Should I contact the same people. :blowkiss
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    What locations need more?
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    the fwc has made quite a few places ''manatee zone '' obviously for safety or for the landowners, not for the sake of the sea cow . the trouble with them is that it becomes a federal offense when a violation occurs...if one thinks fighting city hall is a problem, try going up against the u s f w service...
  • genegene Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Cyclist wrote: »
    I would prefer to see the zones increased. Should I contact the same people. :blowkiss

    Nosir. It's totally unnecessary the government is already of the same mindset.
  • LexiconLexicon Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Western Pinellas county . . . isnt that Tampa/ St. Pete?

    So here is a map of the current Manatee zones, does anyone have a link to the map of the proposals?
    http://myfwc.com/media/415347/Manatee_pinellasMPZ.pdf

    Currently seems pretty normal, couple hundred yards of shoreline . . .
    Reel Teal wrote: »
    Its such a political matter and has nothing to do with manatees. A quick look at manatee studies and FWC numbers can tell you recreational boat traffic has little effect.

    Show me. Link? I love actual data . . .
  • LexiconLexicon Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Reel Teal wrote: »

    The difficulty of locating the stats that support your argument is inconsequential to the fact that it is your argument to support. How would I have known it was this data that you claim supports your argument and not a different data set?

    Please explain how these statistics support your argument.

    Thank you.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    i have nothing to prove to you lol what is this court?

    its my opinion that recreational boat traffic gets a bad rap when there are a host of other factors. commercial boat traffic and large barges, cruise ships cause deaths on the east coast and get counted all the same as rec boats. They find the carcasses with evidence of crushing, which a small vessel cannot do.

    what says we need more manatee zones and in which locations?
  • LexiconLexicon Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    You were the one who cited statistics as supporting your initial claim. It's not too much to ask you to explain that.

    Can you provide me any support for the contention that recreational vehicles cannot cause crushing damage?

    What percentage of manatee deaths involve crushing damage anyways?

    Further is commercial traffic really occurring in the zones that are proposed?
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Lexicon wrote: »
    You were the one who cited statistics as supporting your initial claim. It's not too much to ask you to explain that.

    Can you provide me any support for the contention that recreational vehicles cannot cause crushing damage?

    What percentage of manatee deaths involve crushing damage anyways?

    Further is commercial traffic really occurring in the zones that are proposed?

    Question 1- i didn't provide that claim and will not do any research for you to give you an answer on something i didnt claim. reread my statement of small vessels. Which comprise most rec boaters you drew the conclusion that i said rec boats cannot crush.

    Question 2- i dont know for sure, it gets counted as a watercraft death which gets lumped into rec boating. I have been to a seminar by an author who wrote a book on this very subject. Cant remember his name. Old salt from brevard. Thats the source. Lots of crushed manatees and manatees get sucked up under the large barges etc because their props pull water and the manatees cant hear them coming when traveling slow and then cant move out of the way when its too late.

    Question 3- commercial activities currently occur in manatee zones. Not sure what relevance that has to the new zones or not. Enlighten me.

    How many manatees die each year from a recreational boater?
  • nolanodie97nolanodie97 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I met a few fisher men who said the would snag manattes to get them to leave i think the fwc is trying to stop these people but cant point out indeviduals so they stop every body.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    I met a few fisher men who said the would snag manattes to get them to leave i think the fwc is trying to stop these people but cant point out indeviduals so they stop every body.
    Lol for what reason did these "few fisherman" give....
  • I met a few fisher men who said the would snag manattes to get them to leave i think the fwc is trying to stop these people but cant point out indeviduals so they stop every body.


    You do know that fishermen aren't well known for their truthfulness, right?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,097 Officer
    FWC and LEO ought to enforce the existing speed zones more strictly before adding new ones. And this would apply to guides, parasial boats, sightseeing boats, dolphin cruises/local cruises, headboats, etc...as well as to rec boaters
  • LexiconLexicon Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Reel Teal wrote: »
    Question 1- i didn't provide that claim and will not do any research for you to give you an answer on something i didnt claim. reread my statement of small vessels. Which comprise most rec boaters you drew the conclusion that i said rec boats cannot crush.

    Question 2- i dont know for sure, it gets counted as a watercraft death which gets lumped into rec boating. I have been to a seminar by an author who wrote a book on this very subject. Cant remember his name. Old salt from brevard. Thats the source. Lots of crushed manatees and manatees get sucked up under the large barges etc because their props pull water and the manatees cant hear them coming when traveling slow and then cant move out of the way when its too late.

    Question 3- commercial activities currently occur in manatee zones. Not sure what relevance that has to the new zones or not. Enlighten me.

    How many manatees die each year from a recreational boater?

    I appreciate the reply. I am just looking for information, have no opinion one way or the other, you seemed like an expert so I figured I would try to get more information.

    Thanks,
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    permit_me wrote: »
    FWC and LEO ought to enforce the existing speed zones more strictly before adding new ones. And this would apply to guides, parasial boats, sightseeing boats, dolphin cruises/local cruises, headboats, etc...as well as to rec boaters

    Absolutely.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    permit_me wrote: »
    FWC and LEO ought to enforce the existing speed zones more strictly before adding new ones. And this would apply to guides, parasial boats, sightseeing boats, dolphin cruises/local cruises, headboats, etc...as well as to rec boaters

    Agree.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    I met a few fisher men who said the would snag manattes to get them to leave i think the fwc is trying to stop these people but cant point out indeviduals so they stop every body.

    I snag them with my grand daughters " Barbi " pole... After a long fight I harpoon them with a sharpened stick.... I then drag them ashore as did " Santiago" in Old man and the sea.....

    Sometimes I fall asleep on the trip.....and dream of Lions.... :)
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    we need to protect those gentle giants..

    :Agree

    Manatees do nothing wrong infact help
    fishermen by eatin the aquatic vegetation !
    That in some cases can deplete oxygen levels
    In the water !! Add the manatee zone !!
    Might just have to leave the house a few min earlier
    to compensate for time ! WHAT A HUGE INCONVENIENCE! !
    To help out "YOUR FREINDS " ....
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    :Agree

    Manatees do nothing wrong infact help
    fishermen by eatin the aquatic vegetation !
    That in some cases can deplete oxygen levels
    In the water !! Add the manatee zone !!
    Might just have to leave the house a few min earlier
    to compensate for time ! WHAT A HUGE INCONVENIENCE! !
    To help out "YOUR FREINDS " ....

    but their numbers may have reached the limits of capacity in the rivers and canals..... not much seagrass to be found anymore...and wading w/o shoes is impossible because of constantly stepping on a seacow patty..
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,778 Captain
    permit_me wrote: »
    FWC and LEO ought to enforce the existing speed zones more strictly before adding new ones. And this would apply to guides, parasial boats, sightseeing boats, dolphin cruises/local cruises, headboats, etc...as well as to rec boaters

    You do realize a lot of those people apply for and receive exemptions don't you? You can read up on it here: http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/manatee/operate-vessel/

    I'm not saying I agree with it, just that is the way it is. You know some people always got to get special treatment.:grin

    Did you also know Florida has had laws on the books for over one hundred and fifteen years for manatee protection? I wonder if some people will ever admit we have enough manatees and need to redirect our efforts and money towards helping other creatures that are much more in need, just not as cute.:huh
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,300 Officer
    There is no way LE and FWC can patrol all the slow/manatee zones. They don't have the manpower or resources to cover the amount of water that entails. The real problem is the boaters that don't obey the rules. Non-exempt boaters flying WOT down the flats or in backwaters that are clearly marked as slow/manatee zones are the problem. If these people obeyed the present signs, then maybe, just maybe they wouldn't be taking these kinds of actions. Boaters need to do a better job of policing themselves and others out on the water. Just like always, a few jerks ruin it for the rest of the law-abiding boaters.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    I wonder if some people will ever admit we have enough manatees and need to redirect our efforts and money towards helping other creatures that are much more in need, just not as cute.:huh

    Highly unlikely...

    And the only thing the "Save the manatee" club ever saved...is their cushy 6 figure jobs bilking millions out of dumb people who fall for well presented BS...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    You do realize a lot of those people apply for and receive exemptions don't you? You can read up on it here: http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/manatee/operate-vessel/

    Yes, because just like some people can pick out gay people at long distance (gaydar :grin ) those exempt people can sense the presence of manatees by using "The force" .......They can actually "feel" manatee strikes by a disruption in the Force....:wink


    Luckily for me....most of the grass beds here where I am are long done...taking the seagrass mowing machines with them.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
Sign In or Register to comment.