Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

LMR, cold AM snookin Wednesday

winderbillwinderbill Senior MemberwindermerePosts: 328 Deckhand
Havent been back to the LMR since my epic 50+ fish day a few years back with my neighbor Curt. That day was a frigid February morning kayak trip that found 15"-25" snook stacked like cord wood under the I-75 overpass and biting on nearly every cast. I knew the water temps wouldnt be as cold but it was a similar cold morning so I thought I'd give it a try solo. Launched the yak at that park about a half mile down river around 7:30, made the paddle upriver to the overpass stopping at a few docks along the way with no luck. Dead low, end of outgoing tide but the snook were there. Steady action until around 11 when I had to pack it in and get back home in time to go to work. Wasn't as fast and furious as that day a few years back, but I picked up a fish every dozen casts or so. Probably beached or boated 25 + fish, all under slot size, biggest maybe 26" or so. Every fish caught on a CC bassin shad(pictured) with the stock hooks and rings replaced with 4X(probably not necessary with these fish but a definite must with the 15+ lbers I get in the Peace River). Didn't see another soul all morning until I returned to the ramp. No real quality fish, but good quantity.

Replies