bend back fly

chasinfinschasinfins Posts: 139 Deckhand
messing around with a bend back design with deer hair tell me what you guys think if its any good
follow me on instagram @woodzandwater

Replies

• SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 672 Officer
    Looks kinda like a Slider, may need a little weight. Hard to tell from picture, but if deer hair is to dense it could block the hook point, but don't see why it wont get eaten. Try and post, Good luck.

:thumbsup
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,363 Captain
    Instead of using a bendback hook... you might want to use an ordinary hook and simply do a reverse tied Muddler.. Here's a pic or two....
    [img][/img][img][/img]muddlersreversed1_zps4ab8402e.jpg
    [img][/img][img][/img]muddlersreversed2_zpsb8e5d23f.jpg
    These are all done on 1/0 to 3/0 Mustad 34007 hooks and are pretty weedless as they come... This last pic is a comparison against a small maribou muddler with weedguard done up in size #2...
    [img][/img][img][/img]muddlerssizecomparison_zps11e38472.jpg
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • chasinfinschasinfins Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Thank you guys hoping to get out there soon. With no boat I rely on invites
    follow me on instagram @woodzandwater
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    I put this up because it really shows the jiggy style hook, it is what we like to use for Squeteauge. The main idea of the bend back is to make sure it rides upside down if fished on the bottom. The eyes give it enough weight to make it ride upside down. If you want something weedless then the flies that Bob put up are definitely what you want.
    Here's another Clouser on jig hooks possibility...
    [img][/img][img][/img]Whitewateronjighook1_zpsae6a9844.jpg

You'll note that they're evenly divided between ones with lead eyes and ones with large bead chain eyes -this pattern is on a 2/0 hook and we use it for reds, snook, trout, and almost everything else (except tarpon) in the interior of the 'Glades. A few days ago a small lemon shark just jumped on one in less than 15" of water...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ditzditz Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Hey Cpt. Bob.....do you find the jig hooks to be any advantage over a standard hook for these clousers?
    What I like about jig hooks for Clousers only comes into play when you're wanting to fish them in deeper waters (8 to 12 feet of water and across whatever current is present) where we're using an intemediate line... For that purpose the jig hooks work really well and are actually a bit stronger than my usual Mustad 34007 hooks.... For all of my "ordinary" Clousers we're using weedguards -with the jighooks we do without the weedguards (no they're not completely weedless but the jig hook with that point riding up instead of down is usable..).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Bob, do those upside down muddlers reliably ride hook up? Great looking tie, I'm just now trying out spinning deer hair to push more water.
    Is there any recipe on line for upside down muddler. I couldnt find one.
    I've never seen a recipe -except for one article in Florida Sportsman - and that was years ago... Not much to the bug, with the hook mounted point down in your vise, start about a 1/2 inch back from the hook eye and wrap a short body back to the hook bend (you can use just sparkle flash or diamond braid, which looks great but shreds with the first bite.... or you can make it more durable with a mylar body, your color choice, then overwrap it with 15lb mono or medium sized V-rib....). Once the body is in place, reverse the hook in the vise and tie in a bit pearl crystal flash or flashabou as an under wing then your bucktail wing over that (try not to make that wing real dense since it imitates the body and tail of a baby mullet...). At this point the first 3/8" of hook shank should still be bare -that's what you're going to spin your hair on, several clumps until you reach the hook eye, then whip finish and touch the thread only with a tiny drop of superglue. Once the glue is dry use a double edge razor blade (I lke to snap my double edged blades in half lengthwise, holding them in a small pair of nippers until I can crack each side to make two blades that are much safer to use...). and slice the bottom side as close to the hook as possible to create a flat bottom on the fly -after that use the razor to shape the remaining hair allowing to cover the hook point... This bug will ride hookpoint up and the head will keep the hook pretty much weedless. I'm just using a 2/0 or 1/0 hook (Mustad 34007) for this pattern with the barb flattened and the hook point brought to a razor edge before any tying takes place...
    Hope this helps...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Thanks Bob,
    A BIG help!
    Thanks Bob,
    A Big help!