Monday Night Lights

Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
Went out on my buddy's Jon boat yesterday evening to "test and tune" his new motor. brought the fly rods along, as we figured we might as well hit some dock lights once the sun dropped. The front pushing through really kicked up the wind once it got dark, but we were able to get tight on a few. I lost a really nice fish due to bending the hook straight, but it happens. I had one even bigger eat the fly but didn't get the hook. Fun few hours none the less.

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,582 Captain
    Nice, but do tell please what kind of hook that is that gave up on you. Maybe too small, doesn't appear too be.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Nice Job. Thanks for sharing. Bully netting down here kast night. VERY calm before the blow.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,058 Officer
    Nice Snook!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
    Thanks. It was an allen fly fishing hook. Size 2. It was either the snook break me off in the dock or stop him and hope everything holds up. As you can see the hook was the weak link.
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 283 Deckhand
    Looks like a good time, sucks about the hook! I would let those Allen boys know about that one.
  • evergladeskid243evergladeskid243 Posts: 269 Deckhand
    Looks like fun, cant wait to do some of that over winter break!
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,334 Captain
    That's a shame about the hook, but think about the thirty cents you saved and all the fun you can have with it. : )
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,404 Captain
    Most small stainless hooks will do exactly what that hook did under severe stress. What got you was the size as much as the lighter wire that the hook was made of. I'd just about bet that the same fly on a #1 or 1/0 hook might have survived. Funny thing I've had super premium hooks (particularly the Tiemco 811s) fail in those sizes as well. The only difference is that instead of bending out the premium hooks tend to break off (part of the process to make them "super tuff" unfortuately makes them brittle....). Because of that I went back to ordinary Mustad 34007 hooks when I needed a standard light wire hook -yes it will bend but many times there's enough left to hold a good fish. I do use heavy premium hooks quite a bit (and buy them 1000 per size when I can) but sometimes an Owner Aki hook or a Tiemco 600sp hook just is too heavy for a small maribou type fly.....

The bottom line for me is that the fly still has to swim and get bit -that means that sometimes a lightwire, small hook is the thing to use and if occasionally you lose with one, the loss is balanced by the fact that in some situations a heavier hook means....... no bite.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    All stainless hooks will do that. I would even go so far as to say that dock fishing with stainless hooks is an exercise in futility. There are tons of high carbon steel hooks well suited for lighter/smaller patterns these days, there's really no reason to use stainless anymore.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 672 Officer
    Nice fish, I never seem to find any Snook around here at night. I have never had hook fail on a fish, but I only use 8 and 14 # tippet. I have broken a few hooks on bad casts that hit the boat.

:thumbsup
  • Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
    lemaymiami

Yeah, that's the problem, any bigger of a hook and the snook won't eat it in the lights. They've been keyed in on the micro shrimp and minnows lately. I usually tie with mustad, or Gamakatsu. I happened to run out of those and tied a dozen of them on these hooks. They're all in the trash now. I'm not sure if many hooks that size would've held with the pressure though, It was a well overslot fish and like I said, if I didn't stop him he was gonna break me off anyways.
    I've pulled over slot fish off docks with the #4 owner flyliner, gami C14S, and SL11-3H. The C14S will occasionally pop on bigger fish, but it's still considerably stronger than the mustad C68SZ in corresponding sizes.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    I'm with Capt LeMay: I've had very few hook failures with stainless hooks under flies. They last longer if exposed to saltwater and are better for the fish if they break off. If I'm in a Jon boat I'll try following the fish around the pilings instead of trying to rope them out. If the line isn't tight the fish rarely break free. When the pressure eases up they often relax and don't pull hard. I can get untangled and set up the position I want. Then start pulling hard again. If you do decide to go Mano a snooko put as much bend in the rod as you dare: more shock absorption from the rod means line or hook is less likely to fail.