Last tarpon of October - Kayak trip 10.30.14

Not sure what this weekend's cold front is going to do to the tarpon fishing, but I'm sure there is a good chance to sneak in a few more fish until the season is "officially" over, lol. Went out in the kayaks Thursday night trying to get Zack his first big tarpon while fishing in the Hobie Kayaks.

Went to a location I thought would be stacked up with fish, it kind of was, but the fishing was slow for us. Actually, it was zero. No bites for close to 2 hours of fishing. We could see tarpon rolling occasionally, but they didn't want to chew. I decided to wait out the tide change and hope for the best, still nothing materialized.

Zack-Hobie-Hogy-Tarpon-2-620x523.jpg

So, at about 1am I made a 15 mile hike to another location and splashed in. As we rolled up, fish were happy and popping on top. On Zack's first cast, he hooked and landed this respectable tarpon on a 7inch Bone Hogy Original. It was an awesome fish for him. Lots of aerial acrobatics and some good drag runs to get the blood pumping. He was able to land the fish after about 15 minutes and we grabbed a few photos. With a quick de-hooking and a splash to the face, that fish swam away strong.

Golden-Nugget-Tarpon-Face-WM-620x620.jpg

We ended up landing one other fish around 50lbs and missing a couple other bites. Around 3am we called it a night and success.

Hopefully there are a few more of these great trips left in November. We shall see....

Check out my latest blog post and reports http://theintrepidangler.com/

Replies

• PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    Absolutely awesome to see in the yak once again. Just like you Ross I'm hoping for a few more fish up my way after this front before it's over. I really want to pick up a pro angler at some point to go along with my boat. Great work as always, those poons love they hogys
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,090 Captain
    Any chance of taking a short video of how you fish those hogy's? The original I think I have down but the paddle tails with heavy jig heads in the current has me baffled.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Captain RossCaptain Ross Posts: 289 Officer
    This was just a fun one in the kayak. http://youtu.be/jszprfQO7p8
    Awesome thanks!
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Great videos Ross!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
    Man I've been fishing the paddle tail completely different. I'll give your way a try... in 7 months. :banghead
  • Captain RossCaptain Ross Posts: 289 Officer
    You can also buzz it on top super fast. It work well for a reaction strike. Although with that fast surface retrieve, I'll normally use a straight tail.
    Interesting. Good to know...thanks.
  • WVsoleWVsole Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Amazing vids man!