Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,820 Captain
    coño!

That's a lot of big groupers and other quality fish. I wonder where in the world they were fishing.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 1,005 Officer
    conchydong wrote: »
    coño!

That's a lot of big groupers and other quality fish. I wonder where in the world they were fishing.

Coral Sea 150 miles off of Queensland
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I had to quit watching... Lots of those Groupers are older than the guys catching them... Wherever it is won't matter b/c they won't last long taking thousands of pounds/day like that... Imagine how many Rec Trips you could make on the fish taken on that 1 Comm trip... Makes me sick...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    I couldn't watch more than about two and a half minutes.
    .......Rick
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    That was some awesome fishing. in my view If their is going to be commercial fishing hook and line is the most sustainable. their are millions of square miles of fishable bottom and boats using hook and line aren't going to put a dent in the fish populations. Just my 2 cent's. :fishing
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    That was some awesome fishing. in my view If their is going to be commercial fishing hook and line is the most sustainable. their are millions of square miles of fishable bottom and boats using hook and line aren't going to put a dent in the fish populations. Just my 2 cent's. :fishing

Maybe my bad.......I meant I was jealous
    .......Rick
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,664 Captain
    NICE BANDITS
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Long-liners have certainly 'put a dent' in the Bottom Fishing around here...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    I had to quit watching... Lots of those Groupers are older than the guys catching them... Wherever it is won't matter b/c they won't last long taking thousands of pounds/day like that... Imagine how many Rec Trips you could make on the fish taken on that 1 Comm trip... Makes me sick...

By your signature line then you would agree that IF they weren't being overfished, then it would be OK to harvest them?
    By your signature line then you would agree that IF they weren't being overfished, then it would be OK to harvest them?

Do you like my new sig better ?
    Do you like my new sig better ?

The reason I "baited" you was because I contacted the guy that did the video. I wanted to know where it was and what type of grouper they were. He's some type of biologist that was on the boat doing a study. Here is part of his response to me;

Hi Rob,
    Thanks for your comments.
    I shot that video on my boat fishing on the Fraser Seamount in the Coral Sea 150 nm off SE Queensland on a joint CSIRO/AFMA funded scientific sampling cruise.
    The large gropers are Eight Bar Groper- Epinephelus octofasciatus and their distribution is limited to the Indo Pacific . In the Pacific I have caught them on the Tonga Ridge just north of the Kermidec Islands 300 nm S of Tonga Tapu and I've heard reports of catches from around the Cook Islands.We catch them down to around 200 fathoms. There is another video on YouTube that I shot on a project that I did for the Pacific Islands Forum Fishing Agency at www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp1ubjnDrcg catching these 8 Bar Groper.
    The seamounts off the east cost vary in depth but the tops are often flat and barren. Once in a while, we'll discover a pinnicle and it will be loaded with these gropers. We always limit our take and only fish spots like this maybe once a year. I have not returned to my Fraser Seamount 8 Bar pinnicle since shooting that footage 2 years ago.
    The 8 bar groper is listed as LC ( least concerned) on the IUCN Red List.
    These fish are plentiful as they range across huge areas across tropical and sub tropical Pacific waters . Although they spawn in the tropics, their larva is distributed by ocean currents across vast areas and they can be found as far south as 35'S.
    To target these species requires a high level of investment in electronics and fishing equipment not available to many fishermen. It also takes a lot of time and patience to map the bottom in 3D and bottom classification . Unless you are prepared to spend the money and time doing this, the chances of success are limited.

Since these Sea mounts are 150-300 NM from Queensland, it makes them hard to "fish out" and that grouper species is NOT considered threatened or over fished. I'm all for restricting something that's overfished or endangered but that is not the case here.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,820 Captain
    Thanks for sharing that information Rob. Very interesting stuff. I have seen other pictures of those 8 bar Groupers and they seem to be very similar to our Misties (Mystics).

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

conchydong wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing that information Rob. Very interesting stuff. I have seen other pictures of those 8 bar Groupers and they seem to be very similar to our Misties (Mystics).

Yea but they get over 300 lbs!!! I guess it's just the bottom fisherman in me that gets excited over a large grouper that you can actually HARVEST... unlike our Jewfish.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,415 Officer
    Wow what a pile of fish!
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 856 Officer
    Those guys were doin work!
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,188 AG
    Nice snappers too.

I wonder how the quality as a food source those big Gropers are? I've only eaten Warsaw once (a 75 pounder from 550 feet) and was not impressed. Might make a good chowder.