Home General Fishing

St. Croix Tidemaster Inshore pairing advice

mitchellmitchell Posts: 22 Deckhand
Just bought a St. Croix Tidemaster inshore spinning rod (TIS70MM) 7' medium power moderate action rated at 8-17lb. I bought this rod intending to pair it with my new Cabo 40 which I have spooled with 30# power pro. I will primarily be using this setup for chucking live baits/cut baits inshore for anything that'll bite.. Question, I just received the rod today and it seems pretty light and (for lack of a better word) flimsy. Being new to the game, I'd like some input on whether or not I should exchange it for a medium/heavy or if this setup will be fine. The Cabo has a ridiculous drag output, and it seems that I wouldn't ever be able to really utilize the potential of that drag with such a light rod. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and..... Happy Halloween :willynilly

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,246 AG
    That Cabo 40 would not be a good choice to balance that outfit....a 2500-3000 series is where you might start looking.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • 24-7bait24-7bait Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    mitchell wrote: »
    Just bought a St. Croix Tidemaster inshore spinning rod (TIS70MM) 7' medium power moderate action rated at 8-17lb. I bought this rod intending to pair it with my new Cabo 40 which I have spooled with 30# power pro. I will primarily be using this setup for chucking live baits/cut baits inshore for anything that'll bite.. Question, I just received the rod today and it seems pretty light and (for lack of a better word) flimsy. Being new to the game, I'd like some input on whether or not I should exchange it for a medium/heavy or if this setup will be fine. The Cabo has a ridiculous drag output, and it seems that I wouldn't ever be able to really utilize the potential of that drag with such a light rod. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and..... Happy Halloween :willynilly

mitch it depends what kind of fishing your doing, if your jigging you'll want a med/hvy, if your cranking your probably ok.
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    I would get the heavier rod, especially with that reel. You probably will never max out the drag, but to get to the upper levels you will need the heavier rod.
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • dbourbondbourbon Posts: 116 Deckhand
    I would pair this with a nice Merlot and then for a nice drink after the catch I would do a Bailey's, Khalua and Cream. Not a better way to end the day.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    That Cabo 40 would not be a good choice to balance that outfit....a 2500-3000 series is where you might start looking.

This. I had a tide master that balanced well with a 3000 reel. IMO, a 4000 is too big.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    As Above = Heavier Rod or Lighter Reel...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • mitchellmitchell Posts: 22 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »

Do you think if I threw a Spinfisher V 3500 on it primarily for pitching lures at redfish/snook/trout this would be a good combo?
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    If you must use 30# braid then get the med-heavy Tidemaster.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 341 Deckhand
    I have a number of Tidemaster rods and find their rating system is quite a bit on the light side for where they rate them. Med heavy is a imedium on most other rods. Get a heavier rod for sure,especially if you are throwing bait. I use a 3000 seris shimano with a med st croix.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,246 AG
    Do you think if I threw a Spinfisher V 3500 on it primarily for pitching lures at redfish/snook/trout this would be a good combo?

No...It would not be balanced either. I would look at a 3000 Battle II if you are thinking Penn.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Sure if you don't mind tennis elbow in about 20 years.
    Sure if you don't mind tennis elbow in about 20 years.

So if it were you, what reel would you put on this rod for that specific application? I'm considering the Battle II 3000 as mentioned above by Duckman, but would like a few more suggestions to look into.
    If it were me, a lightweight 3000 reel, and 10# braid or 8# mono.

A Battle II 3000 is the perfect weight reel for that rod. The Cabo and SSV are relatively heavy reels for their size. Any light body reel that balances with the rod will do. I like my spinning combos to balance in the middle of the foregrip. Having said that, my flats blind casting rig is a revo baitcaster.

Long term joint damage is relative to repetitiveness and weight, so you should consider a coefficient of lighter tackle for more frequent casting scenarios.

If you will do a lot of sight casting, or "baiting and waiting" then it doesn't really matter. My favorite rod holder reel is an old 6500 baitrunner tank that I would never consider casting more than a couple dozen times in an outing. Likewise the cabo and ssv you mentioned are excellent bait fishing rigs.

Any trip to a bass pro or **** and you can easily compare the lighter bodied reels that are comparable in size. I wouldn't get too caught up in the expensive models if you're a weekend warrior. Any $40 reel that's approved by the manufacturer for saltwater should last you a very long time with minimal care.

Buona Fortuna
    If it were me, a lightweight 3000 reel, and 10# braid or 8# mono.

A Battle II 3000 is the perfect weight reel for that rod. The Cabo and SSV are relatively heavy reels for their size. Any light body reel that balances with the rod will do. I like my spinning combos to balance in the middle of the foregrip. Having said that, my flats blind casting rig is a revo baitcaster.

Long term joint damage is relative to repetitiveness and weight, so you should consider a coefficient of lighter tackle for more frequent casting scenarios.

If you will do a lot of sight casting, or "baiting and waiting" then it doesn't really matter. My favorite rod holder reel is an old 6500 baitrunner tank that I would never consider casting more than a couple dozen times in an outing. Likewise the cabo and ssv you mentioned are excellent bait fishing rigs.

Any trip to a bass pro or **** and you can easily compare the lighter bodied reels that are comparable in size. I wouldn't get too caught up in the expensive models if you're a weekend warrior. Any $40 reel that's approved by the manufacturer for saltwater should last you a very long time with minimal care.

Buona Fortuna

Awesome info, thank you for that reply. I'm going to go ahead and get a Battle II 3000 for this rod, and I'll pair the Cabo up with a M/H.