Home Politics

Professional sports salaries

Replies

• gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    fins4me wrote: »
    Once again,,, you keep telling yourself that

For crying out loud... this is exactly what I'm talking about.

I thought all you people made like 2x what you actually do.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    greggl wrote: »
    For crying out loud... this is exactly what I'm talking about.

I thought all you people made like 2x what you actually do.

I am just a poor dirt and cattle farmer with several irons in other fires. Big numbers scare me. How much could I possibly manage to scrape together???
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    pretend you weren't smart enough to be a farmer and ended up playing soccer instead...
    pretend you weren't smart enough to be a farmer and ended up playing soccer instead...

I look at them as I would a tourney fisherman. They are being paid to play. Some make a fortune to play,,, most do not. If they are not happy with the pay they get to play they always have going to work as an option.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    Whats he giving up on? Showing over and over, and over how far off the reservation you are? Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`
    lets recap.

The recipe here for increasing wages is to:

-keep silent about incomes, don't share any actual information with other middle class members.
    -go into a career and see how much you are offered to find out the wages in that field?
    -if that wage is stagnated or low, even if the company is making record profits, quit and 'get a better job'?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,673 Admiral
    The hard part is to not care what someone makes but rather to keep the government out of it. And then if the government gets involved it is up to us to kick them out of it. Until then the proper course of action is to not do anything in our personal lives, at least as much as possible, such that we are enabling the shabby practice to continue.

This is what is so hard about the meddling in professional sports that the government does, simply because so many who have a principled opposition to the distortions that occur from government intervention just can not find it within themselves to turn it off.

Never ceases to amaze me the friends I have, friends that get the principle of keeping government from picking winners and losers, and yet they just can not make the personal economic decision to turn the "big game" off.

Personally I agree with fins in that it is none of my business what someone else makes. And truth be in a free economic system what someone makes usually reflects the utility his fellow citizens place on/in what he does, which is a BIG thing!

It's the government screwing about the gets me.
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    And those wages suck :)

How many are making above 100k?

Put yourself in the cleats of one of those soccer players...
    What would you do?

If you love what you do, it is not about the money. You can learn to survive and have a prosperous life.
    This is entirely a societal taboo againt sharing wage information :)

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Farm_Manager/Salary
    Median is 41k.

That jive with your numbers, Fins? About what your guy makes?
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    lets recap.

The recipe here for increasing wages is to:

-keep silent about incomes, don't share any actual information with other middle class members.
    -go into a career and see how much you are offered to find out the wages in that field?
    -if that wage is stagnated or low, even if the company is making record profits, quit and 'get a better job'?

-there is always someone wiling to do the work for the wage offered
    -I take it you mean a professional career, if you are that far along in your direction, you know what to expect for compensation.
    -Most attempt to, or think they can start there own company with no capital. Not busting your chops but was not that your problem?
    This is entirely a societal taboo againt sharing wage information :)

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Farm_Manager/Salary
    Median is 41k.

That jive with your numbers, Fins? About what your guy makes?

What guy??
    "Today is MINE"
    The median wages for most published positions is obscenely low. Ranges are like 40k to 70k for like everything out there.

Is this legit?
    What guy??

your manager
    your manager

I have a livestock manager. He has a Masters from Oklahoma State and makes considerably more than that,

I have a diesel shop manager who is a certified Master Diesel mechanic and has often cleared more than 6 figures.

I am still not sure who you are talking about.
    "Today is MINE"
    What does 'considerably more' mean?

It's still in the 40-70 band, correct?

Your shop mechanic has participation in the company, you mentioned - correct?
    Participation in profit is a good thing and seems to be the reason that he is making what he does.
    What does 'considerably more' mean?

It's still in the 40-70 band, correct?

Your shop mechanic has participation in the company, you mentioned - correct?
    Participation in profit is a good thing and seems to be the reason that he is making what he does.

The diesel shop manager is paid that way because it provides a mechanism for me to control the shops expenses without having to hoover over it.

regarding the other gentlemans pay,,, why do you need to know? It has no more bearing on you than does the poor underpaid game playing soccer player.
    "Today is MINE"
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    The diesel shop manager is paid that way because it provides a mechanism for me to control the shops expenses without having to hoover over it.

regarding the other gentlemans pay,,, why do you need to know? It has no more bearing on you than does the poor underpaid game playing soccer player.

I hope you realize you are talking to a fake person that may or may not be collecting personal information on an internet forum......
    Finfinder wrote: »
    I hope you realize you are talking to a fake person that may or may not be collecting personal information on an internet forum......

Not like it is some sort of trade secret.
    "Today is MINE"
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    You could have stopped right there
    Finfinder wrote: »
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`
  • JAPJAP Posts: 3,373 Captain
    MLS loses money. End of analysis with other major sports.
    Major League Soccer doesn't lose money. Neither do Hollywood movies.

'Creative finance.'
    I believe MLS's ratings are below those of the WNBA. The Seattle and Portland franchises are essentially keeping the league afloat.

I still get several calls a week from groups looking for movie financing. They consistently have the least compelling economics of everything we're shown. Subordinated junior partners taking 100% of the equity risk with no more than 50% of the upside. It's insane, I have no idea who puts money in these things.
    Suckers.

Real Hollywood turns a profit before the cameras roll.
    Suckers.

That's almost enough to make me care. Almost.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,673 Admiral
    *** wrote: »
    I believe MLS's ratings are below those of the WNBA. The Seattle and Portland franchises are essentially keeping the league afloat.

I still get several calls a week from groups looking for movie financing. They consistently have the least compelling economics of everything we're shown. Subordinated junior partners taking 100% of the equity risk with no more than 50% of the upside. It's insane, I have no idea who puts money in these things.

Sadly there is often a bit of your hard work, taken in the form of taxes and given to these people.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,374 AG
    Suckers.

Would it be possible for you to explain this to people who are not "insiders" to the Hollywood scene.

Oh, and what this has to do with the thread.
    I'm in the 1%. I don't work hard.:nono
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    *** wrote: »
    I'm in the 1%. I don't work hard.:nono

If you don't hire an excess of unskilled positions that pay $100k/yr, then you're part of the anti-labor conspiracy :)