Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

FPI Offshore Report 10/30

Have not been out or over a month mostly due to some epic surf we got from September thru October, so I had no clue as to what was happening offshore. Not many FPI reports lately but looked like some nice dolphin action south of us. On the boat was my usual crew of Big Wave Dave and Barrell and one of my former students when I taught JR high in Sebastian, Rob, who usually runs his boat out of Sebastian. Hadn't seen him since he was 15 yrs old and I was a young teacher at 24.

Bought some pilchards from the bait guy and headed out to flat calm seas. Water temps were 76 out of the inlet and 77 on the offshore bar. Tried live baiting some scattered weeds and rips between 65' - 150' without much luck and only managed some small phins and sharks.

Tide on the offshore bar was slack and 3oz could hold bottom in 90'. Normally when the current is this lite the bottom bite sucks but a friend of mine ran out to 400' this am and reported nothing. He's a forum guy, good angler and he usually puts phins in the boat. He called me on the VHF and said nothing happening so we decided to stay and give the bottom a shot.

Anyway, my new Garmin with CHIRP is going off in HD and I can see triggers, snapper and some grouper along with a few marks higher off the bottom that I couldn't identify. Appeared to be in the 3-5lb range and oval school as opposed to the snapper arches and pyramids.

To make a long story short - we sucked! if we caught most of the fish we hooked and fought right up to the gunnel I would still be cleaning fish today. We did manage to boat some by sheer luck because our fishing skills were way off today. I had a trophy Mango, 10lbs or more right to the gunnel and Rob asks me if he should get the net. I say no, I got this and as I put down the rod and and grab the end of my 15' mono leader to bring the fish over the side he gets a second wind and breaks off.:banghead

We did boat some Muttons, Mangos, yellow tails, triggers and a few schoolie dolphin. Those strange marks on the Garmin were Rainbow Runners and we got a couple of those too. In the mix were some sharks with this nurse we figured about 120lbs or more.

nurse_zps2374dd70.jpg

Most snapper we managed to boat were in the same size range and we couldn't boat a grouper or a genuine that this spot is famous for. Here's Rob with a Mutton.

mutton_zps697ff165.jpg

And one of the Rainbow Runners

raonbo_zpsf7a9c21b.jpg

We did manage to get enough for dinner.

fpi1030_zps99f88ad5.jpg

Replies

• Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    That's one heck of a solid dinner. Very nice!
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    AWESOME return trip!! Welcome back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,286 Officer
    Nice... got any screenshots? What ducer you running and what freq?
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 656 Officer
    Those are tasty meals there....nice effort
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • BacDocBacDoc Posts: 704 Officer
    FISHHUNTR wrote: »
    Nice... got any screenshots? What ducer you running and what freq?

Garmin 741XS with the CHIRP transducer, it's the touch screen, pinch to zoom, blue tooth newer version of the older 741. My former unit was a Furuno, and I thought it was great for bottom but only average for chart plotter. Bottom fishing is my preffered method of fishing and I spend a lot of time watching the screen before anchoring, and the CHIRP is worth the extra expense. 3D perspective on chart plotter is pretty amazing too. I put up a screen shot in a previous report and didn't ID the spot and someone immediately identified the wreck from the image. Some of the advertising of new tech is a lot of BS but if you're into bottom fishing, CHIRP is the real deal.
    What model transducer? There is a big debate on whether chirp can do what traditional units can do as far as identifying bottom hardness, live bottom etc. Ive seen a lot of pretty screen shots from various units showing awesome fish arcs but the bottom return is just solid red with no variation (im sure you know why that could be a problem). Tons of gulf bottom diggers are saying this as well.. hence why I'm asking cause I would like to upgrade soon.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,491 Captain
    Nice catch guys - WTG!

Pura Vida!
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    It's been hit and miss out there, Im thinking if the current picks up it will get way better.
    Thanks for the detailed report.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • VindawgVindawg Posts: 801 Officer
    Still managed a decent day, way to get it done.
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    Nice going and "welcome Bac". :angel:grin

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5VlGyMG0ksg
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What model transducer? There is a big debate on whether chirp can do what traditional units can do as far as identifying bottom hardness, live bottom etc. Ive seen a lot of pretty screen shots from various units showing awesome fish arcs but the bottom return is just solid red with no variation (im sure you know why that could be a problem). Tons of gulf bottom diggers are saying this as well.. hence why I'm asking cause I would like to upgrade soon.

Fish hunter, I have the Airmar TM 150 M. Had in installed in July with the 741XS. This combo does CHIRP without having to get that Garmin module for sounders not set up for CHIRP. From West Marine I paid retail for the 741XS but got a slight deal on the transducer, think they run about $300.

My spots are 60' - 120' reefs and some wrecks in 150'- 200' max. Every depth looks way more detail than my old Furuno which was pretty good. I'm talking detail like seeing the difference between triggers and yellow tails up in the water column and those rainbow runners looked way different than snapper or AJ's. Smaller species on the bottom like seabass and grunts look detailed and not just a cloud layer of solid color

As far as hard bottom, I pick that up well. Some of my spots in 80' - 90' are short ledges with only about 5' of relief and I pick them up beautiful. Really does look like the difference you see in HD TV.
  • seahuntetecseahuntetec Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Kevin we went out again Friday, undoubtedly we made a grave mistake by heading north. High point of the day live baiting/slow trolling runners caught two large 'cudas off a reef, lots of fun on spinning gear. At the dock a young man we see on occasion, boat is a twin hull. On the table he has 5 fins, two cobia, one 30 pounds, last but not least a yellow fin,, it was fat, had to go 25 pounds plus. He was in 160' off the power plant. Talk about sucking, both days we were in the wrong place at the wrong time, we should have followed you Thursday. Good haul.
    BacDoc wrote: »
    Fish hunter, I have the Airmar TM 150 M. Had in installed in July with the 741XS. This combo does CHIRP without having to get that Garmin module for sounders not set up for CHIRP. From West Marine I paid retail for the 741XS but got a slight deal on the transducer, think they run about $300.

My spots are 60' - 120' reefs and some wrecks in 150'- 200' max. Every depth looks way more detail than my old Furuno which was pretty good. I'm talking detail like seeing the difference between triggers and yellow tails up in the water column and those rainbow runners looked way different than snapper or AJ's. Smaller species on the bottom like seabass and grunts look detailed and not just a cloud layer of solid color

As far as hard bottom, I pick that up well. Some of my spots in 80' - 90' are short ledges with only about 5' of relief and I pick them up beautiful. Really does look like the difference you see in HD TV.

Thanks for the info... thats the TM I am going to go with as it is my only option, so have been wanting to hear / see some real world experience with it.
  • G-KG-K Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Nice catch Kevin! Did you sushi the runners?
  • Jupiter Double D'sJupiter Double D's Posts: 609 Officer
    Good haul right there guys! Even though you lost a few, way better than getting skunked..
    NICE!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Double D's crew proudly uses Canyon Gear tackle
    Thanks for the info... thats the TM I am going to go with as it is my only option, so have been wanting to hear / see some real world experience with it.

Just make sure your unit is CHIRP ready, if not you need to interface with the module which is pretty pricey. The Garmin interface unit is around $500.

Also if your targets are shallow(under 500') the TM 150 will be fine. If you go deeper you need more power from what I have researched. From your reports, sounds like you are fishing like me, on those spots between 50'-90', and the TM 150 is spot on for that. Pun intended! :)
    G-K wrote: »
    Nice catch Kevin! Did you sushi the runners?

GK, didn't know you're on the forum, welcome aboard!

We don't usually catch these but heard they are good to eat. Very pretty fish and filets looked great, and big enough for the grill so that's how we did it. Slightly charred with grill marks and center warm but on the rare side. Awesome! We will be keeping more of these guys and definitely trying sashimi next time.

With the winds coming looks like it will be a while before we get out again. Could be some epic kitesurfing and the inlet will be going off!
  • G-KG-K Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Its not often we see rainbows north of Jupiter, they sure are worth dropping in the box and they do make great sushimi! The windy season is definitely here, looking forward to sharing some waves with you!!
  • B LangB Lang Posts: 81 Deckhand
    I am curious to see how the CHIRP marks the 70-95' natural bottom here off FP. I keep hearing the same thing about its not good for bottom detail but excels at fish in the column. Here's a shot of 4 steel semi wheels welded together with a bridle for a heavy rode that has been ripped off, it has a shrimp net tangled up on it. Looked to be a FAD anchor. Stumbled upon it heading home one afternoon so I jumped in to take a look. Good for a box full of 16-18" seabass on every stop.
    B Lang wrote: »
    I am curious to see how the CHIRP marks the 70-95' natural bottom here off FP. I keep hearing the same thing about its not good for bottom detail but excels at fish in the column. Here's a shot of 4 steel semi wheels welded together with a bridle for a heavy rode that has been ripped off, it has a shrimp net tangled up on it. Looked to be a FAD anchor. Stumbled upon it heading home one afternoon so I jumped in to take a look. Good for a box full of 16-18" seabass on every stop.

Hard to read with the glare but is that 90'? If so the FAD has about 30' relief off the bottom?

I'll put some screen shots up next trip if the seas calm down and my schedule cooperates.
  • B LangB Lang Posts: 81 Deckhand
    It's 127' to the sand with 3' of relief. It marks 115' because of the blanket of seabass and juvenile RS.