Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

First Bucket load of the Season

Well funseekers, here we go. It has officially begun. It's gonna' get cold and my little firebug, well, she likes her fires on these cold evenings. I wish I could say it's fun, but......and it's also the first time I've used the new, to me, tractor for this chore, it done good, well let me look, yeah, it's still there. One thing that's fun is shimmying my skinny butt past that bucket coming up the steps, brakes locked, tiller down, in gear, yep, hope it don't move. Oh well, this should last us a few days.

Have a warm w/e.

tk

Replies

• CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,520 Captain
    Thats cheating, lug 'em on your back like the rest of us poor serfs.

OldmancarryingwoodenlogsatTrongsaBhutan_zps240a1b30.jpg
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,077 Captain
    My wife loves a fire too, she keeps me busy totin firewood. I guess it is cool enough now to cut a batch for next year.

Found a motherload of fat lighter the other day, should be good for 5-10 years on that.
    F the feds
  • billybob11billybob11 Posts: 784 Officer
    Looks like its 4 wheel drive just go up steps and dump bucket. LoL
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Makes me wish I had a bucket on my orange tractor. Have fun tk.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • frankiezfrankiez Posts: 396 Deckhand
    I was hoping it was the first bucket load of mullet! :-(

It's getting near that time. Got my smoker out and everything. Ready to go.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,845 Captain
    We'll be ordering a cord of Red Oak & Hickory on Monday.

Stashed away under the porch, it'll stay dry until we need it.

Back in the day, we stayed fit during the Winter hauling wood up two flights of stairs.

That round, brick lined, Charter Oak ( from a barn in the Ozarks ) heated a two floor apartment.

The sealed unit we use now, from Vermont Castings, is much more efficient, and uses 1/2 the wood.
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,520 Captain
    ferris, its me just having a bad day.:)
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    Ferris was right, shoulda done another load on Friday, most of it's been gone through. Nice enough day to do it though. Nick, those Vermont Castings are nice, we looked at them. We went with a Pina insert and it's nice too.

Ferris, the smoker is a Sikes. One of those things that I sorta' fell into. Youngest son was helping a friend of his, whose Dad had recently passed away, clean out his house and this thing was in the garage. Long story short, next thing I know, youngest Son is backing up his pickup in the yard with this thing on it. Free !! From what I understand the kid's Dad had paid some serious money for this thing and used it once or twice. It is different. Has some good points and a few definitely not so good points. The good, stainless steel from a maintenance point of view. Definitely not bad to look at. Expanded metal grate w/ lots of room. I can smoke a rot of stuff at once. Also there's kind of a wall between the smoke box area and the bed, so to speak that you can add, water, wine whatever to moisten the meat while you cook and the whole thing is water tight if you wanted water in the main grilling area for moisture. The bad, small smoke box (I use charcoal exclusively) but it's ok. Biggest problem, I CANNOT get the temp to go and stay below 250.

I sorta' think Sikes had been in and out of business, looks like currently in http://www.sikescookers.com/products.php, though their current stuff is different from mine (I've had this one 10yrs. or so), fancier that is. Still, I've made some really good food on it and the price was right.

As usual, long answer to a short question.

tk