Home Politics

Female burglars shot by homeowner

ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
This happened in a suburb of Houston. You could say he disarmed one and the other will only be able to burgle homes with ramps.

http://abc13.com/news/burglary-suspects-may-suffer-lifelong-injuries-after-shooting/371805/

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
Deo Vindice

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,699 AG
    Great info!

thanks
    Vote for the other candidate
  • gunby31gunby31 Posts: 5,777 Officer
    ****, if he only had an assault rifle they would both be dead.
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,807 AG
    gunby31 wrote: »
    Would have saved a ton of $$$ on hospital, prosecution, and incarceration cost's.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • CatBoxCatBox Posts: 3,709 Captain

What about Bear Spray :rotflmao
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG

Was the home owner's life in danger?
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,807 AG
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    Was the home owner's life in danger?
    Yep..
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    You mean did he have them fill out the questionairre?

The moment they entered the property illegal was enough.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    Phil, here in Texas someone breaking into your home while you are there is reason enough to justify opening fire. Haven't you ever heard the saying "Don't Mess With Texas"? BTW, someone stealing something from your yard at night legally justifies using deadly force as does night time trepassing since it is termed Criminal Trespass.
    Deo Vindice
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    OK lets say I am a major pot dealer and the cops get a "no knock" warrant. I am sleeping at 5:am when they come and one of the cops starts crawling in through my window. Can I legally put a bullet through his eye into his brain since I was defending my home and in fear for my safety?

ANSWER: ONLY IF YOU ARE WHITE

A recent pair of cases in Texas are an example of how wrong no-knock raids can go, for both police and civilians, and how dangerously subjective the SWAT raid process can be. In December 2013, Henry Magee shot and killed a police officer during a pre-dawn, no-knock drug raid on his home. He was initially charged with capital murder, but he argued that he shot the police officer, who he thought was an intruder, to protect his pregnant girlfriend. In February, a grand jury declined to indict him, and charges were dropped.

In May, a Texas man named Marvin Guy also killed a police officer during a pre-dawn, no-knock raid on his home. Guy, too, was charged with capital murder. Unlike Magee's grand jury, a grand jury in September allowed the capital murder charge against Guy to stand. Guy, who is black, now faces the death penalty. Magee is white.

read more here

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/318-66/26675-cops-do-20000-no-knock-raids-each-year-civilians-pay-the-price-when-they-go-wrong
    Chubasco.jpg
    Burglars are not serving no knock warrants are they. Based on what little is available on the net I doubt Mr. Guy will be convicted and suspect the indictment may be thrown out by the Judge. Just because a D.A. seeks an indictment does not mean this person will ever be convicted.

Deo Vindice
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    No knock is impolite. Lots of places are going away from it.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
    David B wrote: »
    No knock is impolite. Lots of places are going away from it.

Cops Do 20,000 No-Knock Raids Each Year. Civilians Pay the Price When They Go Wrong

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/318-66/26675-cops-do-20000-no-knock-raids-each-year-civilians-pay-the-price-when-they-go-wrong
    Chubasco.jpg
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Parkerboy wrote: »
    Phil, here in Texas someone breaking into your home while you are there is reason enough to justify opening fire. Haven't you ever heard the saying "Don't Mess With Texas"? BTW, someone stealing something from your yard at night legally justifies using deadly force as does night time trespassing since it is termed Criminal Trespass.

I'm somewhat aware of Texas laws. I lived in Ft. Worth for 13 years, my son lives in Houston. One of his fellow firefighters shot a teenager trying to steel his car, no charges filed.

I figured my question would be controversial and fully expect to see lots of responses that somehow my simple question is an endorsement of gun control.

But, even in Texas, it seems to me that the time of day (which wasn't specified in the article) should be a factor. Home burglaries usually occur during the day, home invasions can occur any time. Did the homeowner respond to the knocking with verbal warnings that he/she was in the house? Is that a factor?

There are a ton of questions the police will have to answer. What I do know is, talk on this forum is cheap, and we all should hope and pray none of us are ever faced with the split second decision to open fire on some crack head breaking in to steal "things".

Now that the homeowner severely wounded the two girls, however, one of whom may be paralyzed and other may lose her arm, he may be faced with civil lawsuits and could end up paying for their care the rest of their lives. Maybe not, but that will depend on the jury du jour, right? Regardless of any civil outcome, though, he will have to cough up a bunch of money to hire a lawyer. Do most of you have $10Gs laying around to hire a lawyer after you shoot someone for trying to steal a $500 TV?

Look, if I'm awakened in the middle of the night by someone in my house or breaking into my house, I may exercise my right to shoot 'em. But if I'm home during the day, say on sick leave, and hear someone breaking in, I will probably let them know I'm home, at least give them the opportunity to stop before it's too late.

Common sense should play into this somehow.
    chubasco wrote: »
    I agree 100% that no-knock warrants should be abolished. I also don't believe officers should be allowed to cover their faces or block their identity during raids.
    Deo Vindice
  • Neat uniforms.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,031 Captain
    OK lets say I am a major pot dealer and the cops get a "no knock" warrant. I am sleeping at 5:am when they come and one of the cops starts crawling in through my window. Can I legally put a bullet through his eye into his brain since I was defending my home and in fear for my safety?

In May, a Texas man named Marvin Guy also killed a police officer during a pre-dawn, no-knock raid on his home. Guy, too, was charged with capital murder. Unlike Magee's grand jury, a grand jury in September allowed the capital murder charge against Guy to stand. Guy, who is black, now faces the death penalty. Magee is white.-]

Well of course, "Counselor" you only look at situations as black or white.

Seems like any reasonable person would think there were differences in the cases. The black guy was an ex-felon who had done time on robbery and weapons charges. Not so for the white guy. There's no telling what other evidence the grand jury was presented with that the author "conveniently" left out.

I'll readily agree that our police depts are becoming way too militarized. They aren't staging raids in Fallujah, they're going into Americans homes.

But that's another article....
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,031 Captain
    Burglars are not serving no knock warrants are they. Based on what little is available on the net I doubt Mr. Guy will be convicted and suspect the indictment may be thrown out by the Judge. Just because a D.A. seeks an indictment does not mean this person will ever be convicted.

Most logical people will understand that.

However, our alleged lawyer doesn't seem to grasp that concept, as he repeatedly give erroneous legal opinion here on one case after another.

A recent pair of cases in Texas are an example of how wrong no-knock raids can go, for both police and civilians, and how dangerously subjective the SWAT raid process can be. In December 2013, Henry Magee shot and killed a police officer during a pre-dawn, no-knock drug raid on his home. He was initially charged with capital murder, but he argued that he shot the police officer, who he thought was an intruder, to protect his pregnant girlfriend. In February, a grand jury declined to indict him, and charges were dropped.

In May, a Texas man named Marvin Guy also killed a police officer during a pre-dawn, no-knock raid on his home. Guy, too, was charged with capital murder. Unlike Magee's grand jury, a grand jury in September allowed the capital murder charge against Guy to stand. Guy, who is black, now faces the death penalty. Magee is white.

read more here

riverdiver wrote: »
    Well of course, "Counselor" you only look at situations as black or white.

Seems like any reasonable person would think there were differences in the cases. The black guy was an ex-felon who had done time on robbery and weapons charges. Not so for the white guy. There's no telling what other evidence the grand jury was presented with that the author "conveniently" left out.

I'll readily agree that our police depts are becoming way too militarized. They aren't staging raids in Fallujah, they're going into Americans homes.

But that's another article....

From the same article
    Magee's case wasn't completely identical to Guy's — the latter had done prison time on robbery and weapons charges, while Magee's previous arrests were for marijuana possession and DUI. But the circumstances of the raids, if anything, made Guy's reaction more justifiable. Police were trying to enter McGee's house through the door when he shot at them, while, in Guy's case, they were trying to climb in through the window. And during the raid on McGee's house, the cops did in fact find a few pounds of marijuana plants. In the raid on Guy's house, they found nothing.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    For ever action there is a equal and opposite reaction, a concept in physics but also applicable in other areas of life.

The equal and opposite reaction at the point of denying a fellow citizen his basic rights is that you forfeit to him any obligation to consider yours.

Not a particularly controversial or difficult concept, though not the same as a eye for a eye.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    I agree 100% that no-knock warrants should be abolished. I also don't believe officers should be allowed to cover their faces or block their identity during raids.

Where I conduct law enforcement (Florida) we do not use "no knock warrants" except under extreme circumstances. Please don't speak about subjects you probably have no experience in dealing with. The face masks are not to just protect the identity of undercover officers who participate in the warrant services, but also to protect confidential informants, etc. We conduct the warrants to protect the average citizens way of life the best we can only with the express permission of judges that the public elects. No warrant can be "no knock" without the State Attorneys Office and a judge granting it as such regardless of whether a law enforcement agency wants it to be.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,026 AG
    Its simple. ...there should not be no knock warrants.
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    Where I conduct law enforcement (Florida) we do not use "no knock warrants" except under extreme circumstances. Please don't speak about subjects you probably have no experience in dealing with. The face masks are not to just protect the identity of undercover officers who participate in the warrant services, but also to protect confidential informants, etc. We conduct the warrants to protect the average citizens way of life the best we can only with the express permission of judges that the public elects. No warrant can be "no knock" without the State Attorneys Office and a judge granting it as such regardless of whether a law enforcement agency wants it to be.

The question is would the homeowner be justified in putting a bullet into the head of the cop coming through the window with a no knock warrant? Seem that between the castle doctrine and stand your ground the homeowner would be in the right regardless of why the cops were coming to arrest him.
    Chubasco.jpg
    I understand that many people think that we as law enforcement may be "too militarized" but to give you an idea as to what we go up against, my last warrant we served without giving too much info was.....4 subjects in a residential house, 3 of which are convicted felons (2 violent), numerous firearms including an AR 15 seen in the residence by the undercover with a drum magazine and 2 methamphetamine buys prior to the execution by law enforcement.

Result- 5 people in custody, 2 AR-15's both with 100 round drum mags loaded, 1 AK-47 loaded, 3 9mm's, 1 .45 caliber handgun loaded, 2 shotguns, 33 grams of methamphetamine and 18 grams of marijuana and the house was next to a church with day care.

Unfortunately the bad guys are militarized these days............

This warrant was not the exception, this was ops normal for us to deal with
    The question is would the homeowner be justified in putting a bullet into the head of the cop coming through the window with a no knock warrant? Seem that between the castle doctrine and stand your ground the homeowner would be in the right regardless of why the cops were coming to arrest him.

crickets
    Chubasco.jpg

We don't come through windows.....you watch too much TV

Police were trying to enter McGee's house through the door when he shot at them, while, in Guy's case, they were trying to climb in through the window.

Chubasco.jpg
    "no knocks" are served through a door ..... always! Chubasco, cut the crap
    you sound like a clown... you have no experience in this
    "no knocks" are served through a door ..... always! Chubasco, cut the crap

read the article

grand jury refused to indict the homeowner who killed the cop even though the cops came through the door with the no knock and the homeowner did have drugs in his home. So you think the homeowner got away with murder?

Chubasco.jpg
    You just throw flash bangs through the window while knocking down the doors at the same time. Then you all barge in screaming at the top of your voices all the while in completely blacked out uniforms.

The cops and state's attorneys all know "friendly" judges who will issue no knock warrants all the while submitting affadavits to judges which would win awards in a creative writing class.

I know the system and how it works and cops are the same regardless of what state.
    Deo Vindice