Yankeetown 10/30 mixed bag

After striking out on snook Tuesday I wanted to try again. This time I had some backup patterns planned. Threw topwater for snook in many snooky looking spots. Didn't get any :banghead so I ran out to the islands to look for some reds. Saw some jack schools and screwed around with them then onto reds.
The rat reds were hanging out in the mullet schools. Caught about a dozen of them with only one in the slot. The tide went slack and the reds left so I moved to the grass flats to try for some trout. Water temp was 68. Caught a few small trout. They weren't out there like last year?

Also attached are two shots from a previous trip of the Goodyear blimp flying over rocky cove and a cool shot of a jack that Ted caught that had a bad day on the way in.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Still plenty of action and good weather. That jack had a rough go.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 808 Officer
    Looks like someone eats jacks.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,472 Officer
    That was a big bite in shallow water.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    Slacker wrote: »
    That was a big bite in shallow water.

For real!
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Been seeing some big bull sharks in less than 6 feet of water. Usually while im running from spot to spot.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,672 Captain
    We need to get out and you need to get that snook.

Way to go on the reds though and what can I say about jacks, they are fun to catch, and that one looks pretty dang big to me.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Looks like a good mixed bag....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 468 Deckhand
    That jack was by the discharge canal. It hit the topwater lure and got hit at the same time. We didn't see anything but a splash. Pretty big bite radius.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,226 Officer
    Sounds like a good outing! Jacks are my second favorite fish to catch, since the bigger Reds seem kinda sparse on topwater. That Jack I caught at the discharge probably encountered one of those 6' Bulls Mario is talking about. Kinda morbid, but he swam away with his pectoral fins, barely any blood left. A tough fish!
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 614 Officer
    Nice mixed bag, I've been getting a few big Trout in the creek mouths down south.
    Jacks are half off at Ted's fish market this week. LOL