Cold Weather Reds?

So this is my first year fishing for reds. You guys helped me out bigtime catching them durning the summer months so I figured I would ask for yall's input on how you guys would approch them this sunday after the cold front? Thanks!

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    I don't think there is ever tougher fishing than during the beginning of a cold snap. You're likely to get skunked. I'd work the outside edges of the islands, points, and oyster bars. It's not cold enough to push them deep into the creeks yet I don't think.
  • rangerjasonrangerjason Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info, I'm gonna give it a go Sunday
  • TideUpTideUp Posts: 126 Officer
    When the cold snaps do start hitting though, watch your barometer. If the numbers are getting lower (day after a cold front), don't bother going unless you want a cold boat ride. If the numbers are rising or staying steady give it a whirl! We have lots of creeks and rivers in our fisheries giving the Reds plenty opportunity to go hide in deeper (Warmer) holes! The hard part is getting in them without losing a prop or scraping off a lot of gel coat. That's why Jim has an advantage with that tin boat now in winter :wink
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
    I have banged my share of gear up on rocky bottoms and oyster bars, that's for sure.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,303 Admiral
    TideUp wrote: »
    When the cold snaps do start hitting though, watch your barometer. If the numbers are getting lower (day after a cold front), don't bother going unless you want a cold boat ride. If the numbers are rising or staying steady give it a whirl! We have lots of creeks and rivers in our fisheries giving the Reds plenty opportunity to go hide in deeper (Warmer) holes! The hard part is getting in them without losing a prop or scraping off a lot of gel coat. That's why Jim has an advantage with that tin boat now in winter :wink
    Um, falling barometer = Low pressure = day before and the actual front, i.e. Wind from the west, fishing the best.

Day after a front passes the wind usually swaps to the N-NE and the pressure rises as high pressure builds, i.e. Wind from the east, fishing the least.

or so I've heard :grin
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,770 Captain
    :Agree
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • TideUpTideUp Posts: 126 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Um, falling barometer = Low pressure = day before and the actual front, i.e. Wind from the west, fishing the best.

Day after a front passes the wind usually swaps to the N-NE and the pressure rises as high pressure builds, i.e. Wind from the east, fishing the least.

or so I've heard :grin

I knew there was a reason I'm not a weather man lol I go by the front itself. The day before fish feed in preparation and the day after sucks. Fish are funny with stuff like that because they sense the change as it approaches.
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
    A lot of the old timers like to fish the days prior to the front when the pressure is dropping and there is a chance of rain. The day the front arrives and even the days following can be really tough to fish. If'n I were one of those old retired guys I'd pick my days to fish and they probably wouldn't be cold windy days. But I still figure a day spent on the water is better than sitting at home for the most part. I just go in with low expectations.
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    This weekend is a tough call... The front started coming through yesterday, but its not getting really cold until tomorrow afternoon. The tides are great tomorrow, and with the wnw winds it should flood too but the front I don't know if there is going to be a good bite or not. I'm going to try it anyway but it might be a learning day for me.

With the winds the way they are predicting we might be sticking pretty close to the ramp. Either way it's going to be a fun day.
  • Catfish_HunterCatfish_Hunter Posts: 261 Deckhand
    wind is going to be the factor this weekend... i wouldn't even worry about anything else... it's gonna be a tough call but i might stay home if its as bad as predicted. 20mph + which means ad 5 on top of that...
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 637 Officer
    ya... those winds are ridiculous. No point going out in that, even if you are close to the ramp.
    Enh wind isn't even a factor if you fish the creeks. Assuming it's a flood tide you should be able to go wherever you want. If it's a north wind though it might push all the water out of the creeks though depending on where you fish.
  • Catfish_HunterCatfish_Hunter Posts: 261 Deckhand
    NW wind all day, 25+, if you think wind isn't a factor you've got another thing coming.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,474 Officer
    The best time to fish is every chance you get. Sometimes conditions make it tougher, but that just makes it more of a challenge. Don't do anything dangerous or stupid. Do take advantage of that opportunity if it arises. You might consider a different type of fishing on those tough days.Maybe chase ladyfish, jacks, or mangroves up the river.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    They will move into the creeks, watch the negative low tides, actually I have found them in the creeks all summer long, maybe I will see you out there, dont get caught back in the creeks when the tide drops.
    No reports on the board so far so I'm assuming everybody stayed home. I know I did!
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    Naw me and about 4 other people tried our luck... There just wasn't much to talk about.

The ramp at the end of 40 was like a washing machine. The wind was blowing more like 35 when we got there at 6:30. I waited until the sun came up and it hadn't gotten any better. I could have launched but knowing the wind was supposed to get worse as the day went on I didn't know if it would be safe there to try to load later. We decided to launch at the BC instead. It was really well protected but as we left the end of it the wind and waves were pretty bad. After the third cold water wave came over the side we just went back and trolled around the edges of the canal for a few hours. We caught a rat red, a nice jack and a big sail cat and that was it. You never know what you're going to get unless you try. We tried and went home around noon. :)
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    I just rather wait until the wind lays down, I have seen alot of nice days out there in the winter months, they will be there.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,303 Admiral
    Jim311 wrote: »
    No reports on the board so far so I'm assuming everybody stayed home. I know I did!
    guess 35kt winds was a factor, even in the creeks...lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    guess 35kt winds was a factor, even in the creeks...lol

I saw a report that was pretty positive. I didn't even bother fishing. LOL.