Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

KDW on "My Office" in Boynton 10/29/14

Another day fishing in Boynton Beach Fl aboard "My Office" . We started out of Boynton Inlet around 6:45am and the ground swell in front of the inlet made us think it was going to be a rough and long day. We ran out to about 135ft , where I saw a nice color change and "Nervous water" on the blue water side. The Garmin was showing bait under the boat for about 30 ft down . We knew there would be fish there. We immediately put the planers down ,just for them to both trip with kings on them a minute later . We reset the spread and turned back down the edge, when we came back to the bait filled area ,the centerline short went off, we had a 10-15 pd dolphin on the artificial . After a short fight , we got her in and circled back to the same spot to have another cow hit the naked bead chain ballyhoo on the rigger. This one only weighed in at 10 pd. but still a nice fish . Then, quickly all the boats in the area showed up to the same spot we were at. People were complaining on the radio, so we decided to let them have their fun and head north. The ocean finally started to calm down at around 8:30 . We trolled through the scattered weed , cleaning weeded up lines for about 45 minutes. Then I decided to go a little deeper , out of the weed to hopefully pull up a wahoo or more dolphin . When we reached 225 feet at 9:00, the short planer went off. After checking the depth and hearing the scream , I knew it was a wahoo . We sped up the boat to really set the hook in. Once we knew he was on we inch by inch brought him in on the Avet 30. Then the other Planer went off with a schoolie dolphin on. After dancing around the deck we got the lil guy in with no trouble. After a couple minutes of reeling in, we got to the planer which was on a wind on Joe (the owner of "My Office" )made. Thankfully this allowed us to real in the 100ft leader and bring the fish right up to the boat. With a quick gaff and a calm fish , next thing you know we have a 42 Pd wahoo laying on the deck!

Another great day fishing and in by 10:30 for lunch.

[/COLOR]
Austin Burkett
Fishing the Boynton Beach area my whole life , as soon as I think I know what I'm doing ,the fish tell me otherwise!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
E.J. Schrader Mattress Co. Custom Mattresses for Homes Boats and Rv's
Cell 561.901.3438

Replies

• LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    You beat the CRAP out of us man...... Awesome day for you guys...........
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    That's a pretty insane day and another awesome report. Keep it up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • AJBurkettAJBurkett Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Thanks Ill Keep em coming!
    Austin Burkett
    Fishing the Boynton Beach area my whole life , as soon as I think I know what I'm doing ,the fish tell me otherwise!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cell 561.901.3438
  • Jupiter Double D'sJupiter Double D's Posts: 609 Officer
    WOW. Way to go! Man if you could hit that trifecta for a tourney you would have hit the jackpot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Double D's crew proudly uses Canyon Gear tackle
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    wow, great day, and really good report too. CONGRATS
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Great day! Congrats
  • EagleEagle Posts: 118 Officer
    Super nice catch, is there any way you can explaine how you can rig a planner to come off and be able to wind on the leader, hand lining 50 feet of leader behind the planner is a pain, any help would be appreaciated.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,491 Captain
    Great fishing and report! Slob Hoo too. Thanks!

Pura Vida!
  • GRSCGRSC Posts: 942 Officer
    Nice one fo sho - nice one on page 72 also
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • footanklegfootankleg Posts: 513 Officer
    Eagle wrote: »
    Super nice catch, is there any way you can explaine how you can rig a planner to come off and be able to wind on the leader, hand lining 50 feet of leader behind the planner is a pain, any help would be appreaciated.

Not sure this is what your asked for but I'll give it a shot. I run my planar with heavy mono from a transom cleat. I let the bait back about where I want it. Then, I attach a double snap swivel to the planar line. I wrap a rubber band around the fishing line off the rod a then clip the rubber band to the other end of the snap swivel. Now, you let line out from reel and the bait/lure will swim down to the depth of the planar. Now, when you get a hit, the rubber band will pop and you can fight the fish straight rod and reel.
    Cobia 296 F300s J & B
    Hewes 18' RF Y130 Flatfoot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honestly it would only be able to be done in person. If I have a chance I'll write up and take pictures for you. Trust me I use a 100ft leader I understand your pain!
    Austin Burkett
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cell 561.901.3438
    footankleg wrote: »

Not sure this is what your asked for but I'll give it a shot. I run my planar with heavy mono from a transom cleat. I let the bait back about where I want it. Then, I attach a double snap swivel to the planar line. I wrap a rubber band around the fishing line off the rod a then clip the rubber band to the other end of the snap swivel. Now, you let line out from reel and the bait/lure will swim down to the depth of the planar. Now, when you get a hit, the rubber band will pop and you can fight the fish straight rod and reel.

And that's not what I use. We rigged up hollow core with two loops about 10 inches apart and it's connected inline to the planer, this is honestly the best way to run them. You have to also make modifications to the planer aswell . Like I said , I'll post it asap and have you all on them !
    Austin Burkett
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cell 561.901.3438
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    And a nice size wahoo to boot!! Excellent...
  • gtrfred27gtrfred27 Posts: 63 Deckhand
    the guys up north use them all the time in NC

Tournament cable makes them and all the clips necessary to rig up the planer. http://www.tournamentcable.com/pgs/catsearch.cfm?itemcat=PB

here is the link so get the idea.