Home Politics

Very sad information in this graphical presentation

WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
I see some errors, or some points that I doubt, but as a trend it is very sad how prevalent liberalism is. All I can do is shake my head. I do see two general concept that effects the presentation. I would have been interesting to normalize for those two effect then present another graph.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2014/08/daily-chart-0

Replies

• rickcrickc Posts: 9,172 Admiral
    I like it.

can anyone define conservativism for me

I think the definition swings wildly with the individual.

I know what websters says. Basicly mantain the status quo. Don't like change. holds on to traditional values

now I don't believe that defines the modern political conservative at all.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    the problem is defining conservatism or liberalism as opposed to republicans and democrats....

one can be a republican and a conservative by definition, the same for democrats as liberal by definition....

then there are the right and left extremist which have basically hi-jacked their parties and polarized the voters...

about half of my friends call themselves republicans and the other half democrats...
    at the end of the day neither side is really too far apart in their political views....
    we can have civil discourse about our opinions and are willing to listen to another's point of view...

that is what is lacking in todays politics....

at ease...........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    the problem is defining conservatism or liberalism as opposed to republicans and democrats....

one can be a republican and a conservative by definition, the same for democrats as liberal by definition....

then there are the right and left extremist which have basically hi-jacked their parties and polarized the voters...

about half of my friends call themselves republicans and the other half democrats...
    at the end of the day neither side is really too far apart in their political views....
    we can have civil discourse about our opinions and are willing to listen to another's point of view...

that is what is lacking in todays politics....

at ease...........

well said!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    The United States, as it pertains to everything that made this nation great, is a "Dead Man Walking."

Elected officials are merely reflections of the electorate.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    rickc wrote: »
    I like it.

can anyone define conservativism for me

I think the definition swings wildly with the individual.

I know what websters says. Basicly mantain the status quo. Don't like change. holds on to traditional values

now I don't believe that defines the modern political conservative at all.

you are sooo full of it stop wasting everyone's time by asking questions you pretend to want an answers to
  • rickcrickc Posts: 9,172 Admiral
    funny how none of the righties offered a definition of conservatism

all you can do is attack the messenger

just face it you don't know what a conservative is.
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    Very sad...

Water don't be sad. Get them to limit the study to trailer parks and you will be thrilled with the answer.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    chubasco wrote: »
    Water don't be sad. Get them to limit the study to trailer parks and you will be thrilled with the answer.

Or get them to normalize the data for college kids and I bet the results are different.
    Or get them to normalize the data for college kids and I bet the results are different.

For all elections up to and including Bush college students were about evenly split. It was not until Obama that any candidate ever got 70% of them. What does that tell you?
    Chubasco.jpg
    What does that tell you?

It tells me they are gullible, starry-eyed, idealistic and not wise.
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    rickc wrote: »
    funny how none of the righties offered a definition of conservatism

all you can do is attack the messenger

just face it you don't know what a conservative is.
    A conservative is one who appreciates the value of principles both the history and the practicality of the application of them to over all success.
    For all elections up to and including Bush college students were about evenly split. It was not until Obama that any candidate ever got 70% of them. What does that tell you?
    It tells me they are gullible, starry-eyed, idealistic and not wise.

Yet before Obama that was not the case? Try again.
    Chubasco.jpg
    Yet before Obama that was not the case? Try again.

Clearly not in the same way (or percentage) given your own statistics. My point stands.
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    A conservative is one who appreciates the value of principles both the history and the practicality of the application of them to over all success.

aka cargo cultists :)
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    greggl wrote: »
    aka cargo cultists :)
    Science has identified two more dimensions cent's your time of cognitive thought. :)
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    I see some errors, or some points that I doubt, but as a trend it is very sad how prevalent liberalism is. All I can do is shake my head. I do see two general concept that effects the presentation. I would have been interesting to normalize for those two effect then present another graph.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2014/08/daily-chart-0

Most of us are a little right of center and a little left of center on certain issues - the graph isn't that far off...showing a goodly number of folks pretty close to center. As you mentioned, there are factors that can move the results in one direction or another.

It should be no surprise that DC ranked #2. It is comprised of power brokers, the wealthy and the poor...a world of its own. Six of the ten wealthiest counties surround metro DC - the majority make their living off of the rest of us. Lobbyists, gov't contractors, politicians, bureaucrats - it's where the vultures go to feast. :grin
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt