Ford 5.0 engine knock

2»

Replies

• brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,191 Captain
    Unless things have changed since I left Ford, your warranty will be the remainder of the original factory warranty.
  • bbbbbb Posts: 1,015 Officer
    Unless things have changed since I left Ford, your warranty will be the remainder of the original factory warranty.

I guess worse case scenario is a 100,000 mile warranty since thats what my aftermarket warranty is. Thats basically 20,000 more miles.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,243 Admiral
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    I'd ask the mechanic about it. Not saying you have a problem right now but you're going to have a new bottom end with a valve train that has 90k on it.

Inspect the valve seats and maybe check out the valve springs. See what he says.

Your spot on with that warning Robert. I'd hate to see that new short block start sucking oil past the valves. Seen it happen more than once before!
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,258 Admiral
    Your spot on with that warning Robert. I'd hate to see that new short block start sucking oil past the valves. Seen it happen more than once before!

Interesting, I bet bbb appreciates the heads up. i wouldn't know to even ask this type of stuff! Forum power right there...

Florida sportsmen helping Florida sportsmen. Good stuff. Who needs fishing reports with help like that?
    tapate wrote: »
    Interesting, I bet bbb appreciates the heads up. i wouldn't know to even ask this type of stuff! Forum power right there...

Florida sportsmen helping Florida sportsmen. Good stuff. Who needs fishing reports with help like that?

I do. I called the head mechanic and he said both the valves and heads have been inspected and he does not see any reason to mess with them.

I sent a message to another Ford mechanic who has done a few of these short block swaps. Im waiting to hear back what he thinks.
    Dale, If the heads are already off I would seriously check the price of having a valve job done on them. All the dealer wants to do is get you past that 100,000 miles. As Robert said the heads have 90K on them and you have a new short block. Now they are fine but in 40K or so there could be problems. In the "old days" the new short block would pull oil past the guides and seals and you would have a "smoker". I had this happen to me TWICE. Both times on Ford engines by the way.

A new short block and redone heads would give you an engine that would be internally "new" and should be good for 100K. When they warrantied my motor they put in a complete new motor. I would complain that "there may have been shavings wearing the heads" in an effort to get it done free but otherwise they may not charge too much to get you quiet.

Once again they want to sell you another vehicle asap .... they don't want you driving that one for another 100K + miles.

Didn't they already try to sell you another when the motor first acted up? Good luck.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,258 Admiral
    Fwiw, on 2014s just heard a ad on the radio that was saying 10k off sticker + 120% of KBB value on trade for the Sylvester sunbelt on f150s.
    tapate wrote: »
    Fwiw, on 2014s just heard a ad on the radio that was saying 10k off sticker + 120% of KBB value on trade for the Sylvester sunbelt on f150s.

Dang that sounds pretty good.

I just made a lowball offer on a 2014 Dodge Eco Diesel and it looks like they are going to make the numbers work. They are knocking $8,000 off sticker. I haven't even got mine out of the shop yet, but thinking hard on pulling the trigger on 28 mpg highway, 18 city and 14-15 towing.

Once gas prices level back up to $3.50 a gallon, it's a no brainer.
    Got my truck back today. Sounds pretty good. Heard a new noise under the hood. Nothing major maybe its a break in noise.

Dodge place making all the numbers work out plus I'm getting 4 free oil changes so that relieves me of a year and a half of those.
    good luck
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,014 Admiral
    Friends don't let friends drive Dodge.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,738 Captain
    dewyafish wrote: »
    Friends don't let friends drive Dodge.

That's true...but this truck is a RAM :wink
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,191 Captain
    Ford-Dodge Only difference is 1 letter