Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Ford 5.0 engine knock

2012 F150 with 80,000 miles. Always had a slight tick but this is 10 times worse.
https://vimeo.com/110379992

This next video was shot from inside the vehicle while vehicle was stationary and i was pressing the gas.
https://vimeo.com/110381802

From what ive read online, when the noise is this bad its a result of an oblong cylinder and needs an engine replacement/rebuild. One Ford mechanic online, that has performed an engine replacement, stated that there were a bad batch of cylinders in early late '11 and early '12. My build date was 3/12. I have Ford Customer Service in Michigan and my dealer going into this thinking engine replacement so im glad i wont hear the "its normal" speech.

Needless to say if i dont get this resolved ill be trading it in before my warrantee runs out.

The dealer put me in a '13 F150 Eco Boost. This motor is much more quiet than mine and appears to get +-2mpg better on my drive in this morning.

For 2015 they have a new smaller EB motor thats suppose to get 2-3mpg better than the current motor. The dealer said the window sticker may be around 26-27 hwy.

Replies

• IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,863 Captain
    bbb wrote: »
    2012 F150 with 80,000 miles. Always had a slight tick but this is 10 times worse.
    https://vimeo.com/110379992

This next video was shot from inside the vehicle while vehicle was stationary and i was pressing the gas.
    https://vimeo.com/110381802

From what ive read online, when the noise is this bad its a result of an oblong cylinder and needs an engine replacement/rebuild. One Ford mechanic online, that has performed an engine replacement, stated that there were a bad batch of cylinders in early late '11 and early '12. My build date was 3/12. I have Ford Customer Service in Michigan and my dealer going into this thinking engine replacement so im glad i wont hear the "its normal" speech.

Needless to say if i dont get this resolved ill be trading it in before my warrantee runs out.

The dealer put me in a '13 F150 Eco Boost. This motor is much more quiet than mine and appears to get +-2mpg better on my drive in this morning.

For 2015 they have a new smaller EB motor thats suppose to get 2-3mpg better than the current motor. The dealer said the window sticker may be around 26-27 hwy.

Even if they do the engine replacement, are you still thinking of trading to an EB?
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    If you can trade, trade! sounds like it's under warranty so get out while you can, let it be FORD's problem - that sounds not good @ all

The long term jury is still out on the EB, but your new one would be covered for a good while anyways...online Ford forum many stating 10k off MSRP. I didn't get that of course,

The Dodge Ecodiesel sure is something to consider also, but I am staying gas for the $/gal
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • bbbbbb Posts: 1,032 Officer
    Even if they do the engine replacement, are you still thinking of trading to an EB?

If thats the case, i may ride the new engine for a while and see how the new EB works out. Im just trying to stay under warranty.
    Bigfoot wrote: »
    If you can trade, trade! sounds like it's under warranty so get out while you can, let it be FORD's problem - that sounds not good @ all

The long term jury is still out on the EB, but your new one would be covered for a good while anyways...online Ford forum many stating 10k off MSRP. I didn't get that of course,

The Dodge Ecodiesel sure is something to consider also, but I am staying gas for the $/gal

Sticker price on the '14 XLT EB truck is $45,990. They have given me a price of 37,900 with a walk out the door price of $27,500 after trade.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Sticker price on the '14 XLT EB truck is $45,990. They have given me a price of 37,900 with a walk out the door price of $27,500 after trade.

Did they hand you a tube of KY with that deal?
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,044 Captain

That is not great. I bought a $50k sticker F150 last year for $10k off sticker. One would assume even better deals can be had now. How did an XLT end up at $46k sticker anyway?
    JKP wrote: »
    That is not great. I bought a $50k sticker F150 last year for $10k off sticker. One would assume even better deals can be had now. How did an XLT end up at $46k sticker anyway?

It has $6000 in rebates so he's only taking 2k off sticker so i agree there should be more to play with. Not signing anything til i get a couple bids though.

It has the luxury package. Basically a Lariat minus a few extras.
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,044 Captain
    Invoice less all rebates with no dealer fee should be the ceiling. Mullinax Ford will do that absent any negotiation.
  • Amelia PaddlerAmelia Paddler Posts: 488 Deckhand

One of my techs has an early EB 4x4 4dr lariat, I believe a 2010?
    North of 100k miles already , other then a boost temp sensor issue, it's been flawless.

Please, please look into the fiat diesel carefully & chose wisely.
    All I can say about that....
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral

OOF. I'd have laughed him out of the bldg. it's almost insulting. 10k for an 80k xlt!? Got to be joking. Prices for used trucks are though the roof.
    tapate wrote: »
    OOF. I'd have laughed him out of the bldg. it's almost insulting. 10k for an 80k xlt!? Got to be joking. Prices for used trucks are though the roof.

I owe $13000 on my truck. He would be giving me $25,000 trade in so i'm netting $12,000. Taxes eat up a couple thousand.

These were just quick numbers thrown out while i dropped my truck off. We have plenty of time to negotiate.
    If you get a new one, get the 15!

Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • manleymanley Posts: 886 Officer
    So, you've got a bad engine at 80,000 miles. You plan to double down and buy another Ford? Just making sure I have all the facts...
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,298 Admiral
    If they replace the engine find out how many miles the new engine will be warrantied for. If satisfactory warranty is included, drive the "new engine" truck until the wheels fall off!

I hate it when dealers (no matter how "nice" they are) try to turn warranty woes into another sale.

my 2 cents
    May not be a Ford issue, some service tech could have well you know
    manley wrote: »
    So, you've got a bad engine at 80,000 miles. You plan to double down and buy another Ford? Just making sure I have all the facts...

Ive tried to like Chevy or Dodge but i guess I'm just a Ford guy.

After doing some reading, ill hold out for a '15 if this issue is fixed. Otherwise I'm dumping a possible bad motor and getting something else.
    They were able to reproduce the noise yesterday and have started to tear down the motor. They have noticed scarring on the cylinder walls.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    Settle for nothing less than a NEW motor, not a rebuild.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    dewyafish wrote: »
    Settle for nothing less than a NEW motor, not a rebuild.

Hope they give me that choice. Of the 10 or so threads ive found online about cylinder scarring, they all resulted in new engines, but they were low mileage trucks
    Hope they give me that choice. Of the 10 or so threads ive found online about cylinder scarring, they all resulted in new engines, but they were low mileage trucks

Under warranty is just that Good luck!
    Under warranty is just that Good luck!

yes it is, had a 300ci 6 cyl Ford motor go bad 2K before the warranty ran out. They cried, fussed and tried to deny coverage but in the end ... new engine. Gave it away years later and our friend drove it until last year.

Good luck!
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,876 Captain
    **** that engine sounds bad...sorry for the issues you are having
    The warranty company has them pulling the motor today and the adjuster will be by later on this week to look at it
    Make sure you have your maintenance records ready.
    Make sure you have your maintenance records ready.

Had them faxed over there Saturday. Mechanic said motor was real clean inside. No sign of neglect.
    Went by this morning to take a peak before the adjuster arrived. It was a sad sight. They had my motor sitting on a stand with half of it on a table all nice, neat and in 50 pieces. He showed me some scarring on the cylinder walls but mostly it was "hot spots" where the piston has been rubbing the cylinder walls. Showed me the piston and the residue build up that was from the piston getting red hot.

Said I should either get a new short block or a whole new motor. One of the Cam shafts also was showing scarring, so that's why he thought new motor.
    BBB, We were told, when they replaced that Ford 6cyl, that the replacement motors are built to closer tolerances than the factory installed motors. This may be true as it was running strong 14 years later for our friend.

Good luck Dale, hope you get that brand new motor!
    New short block going in this week. Hats off to Franklins Spring Creek Ford for handling everything with the warranty company. And for giving me another f150 lariat loaner for the last 2 weeks.
    New short block going in this week. Hats off to Franklins Spring Creek Ford for handling everything with the warranty company. And for giving me another f150 lariat loaner for the last 2 weeks.

:thumbsup
    I thought about trading it but seeing how I only owed 13,000 and I've got basically a new motor that just doesn't make sense to get back into a $30,000 debt.

I'll call and ask about the valve and head work. Would this be an attempt to correct any leaking valves?

Warranty will be either 12,000 or 24,000 miles he was not sure and had to talk to the parts department about that.