Following Key West Xpress

Just wondering if anyone has done/thought about following the Key West Xpress from Ft.Myers to Key West in their own boat. I know I have read that a few members have made the trip in groups. Also, would anyone consider it on a single engine boat , with Sea Tow. Would a 22' CC with a 150 4 Stroke Yamaha make it? Just curious and wanted some opinions also.. This would be a Summer trip...Also have a PLB.....

Thanks

Brian

Replies

• snookpigsnookpig Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    pretzelb wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has done/thought about following the Key West Xpress from Ft.Myers to Key West in their own boat. I know I have read that a few members have made the trip in groups. Also, would anyone consider it on a single engine boat , with Sea Tow. Would a 22' CC with a 150 4 Stroke Yamaha make it? Just curious and wanted some opinions also.. This would be a Summer trip...Also have a PLB.....

Thanks

Brian

No Big Deal, A 22' boat was a huge boat in the 80s. we ran them down all the time. just pick a good weather day. and make sure you have the range.
  • PigskinCaptPigskinCapt Posts: 253 Officer
    If you are doing this trip in a single engine boat, make sure you have a sat phone. You won't be calling Sea Tow from your VHF radio if you break down between Marco and Key West.
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    I don't see how it could be that bad, just follow the coast line the whole way down? Only thing I would think that would be a little ways off civilization is the crossing from the everglades to the keys.
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 118 Deckhand
    If you are doing this trip in a single engine boat, make sure you have a sat phone. You won't be calling Sea Tow from your VHF radio if you break down between Marco and Key West.

Thanks for the great advice PigSkinCapt. Do you know if that's a well travelled route that the Key West Xpress takes ? I see the route is marked on a few websites.
  • West EnderWest Ender Posts: 145 Officer
    Hope you like diesel fumes and can run pretty fast as that cat hauls the mail. I would just pick my days to go, Fl bay is always a washing machine, but I have hit it on glass days especially the time of year you are going. Always give yourself a few days on the front and back end of the trip for weather. Another route is to the seven mile bridge in Marathon then turn right and take Hawk Channel to Key West. It can be a fun trip or you can get a royal a$$ whipping in the bay. I much rather go to West End or Lucaya now but you have to trailer to the east coast unless you want to spend a day through the inter-coastal. Good Luck and don't forget that EPIRB, Life Raft and Sat Phone which can all be rented if you do not want to buy.
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 118 Deckhand
    West Ender wrote: »
    Hope you like diesel fumes and can run pretty fast as that cat hauls the mail. I would just pick my days to go, Fl bay is always a washing machine, but I have hit it on glass days especially the time of year you are going. Always give yourself a few days on the front and back end of the trip for weather. Another route is to the seven mile bridge in Marathon then turn right and take Hawk Channel to Key West. It can be a fun trip or you can get a royal a$$ whipping in the bay. I much rather go to West End or Lucaya now but you have to trailer to the east coast unless you want to spend a day through the inter-coastal. Good Luck and don't forget that EPIRB, Life Raft and Sat Phone which can all be rented if you do not want to buy.

Thank you for the valuable information West Ender. I do appreciate it ! I do have a McMurdo PLB.. Would probably rent a Sat phone.. Im thinking at this point a buddy boat or 2 would be a great idea also..
  • West EnderWest Ender Posts: 145 Officer
    No problem I have a lot of time logged out there and have seen good days and very very bad days. A buddy boat is a good idea but you will see quit a few boats on your way west. Also once you past Cape Romano you will be in sight of the keys in a couple of hours or so if it's not rough. I mean it takes us well over an hour to two just to fish offshore here, also your VHF should be able to pick up Key West CG Station fairly early into the trip once you hit the bay. We normally fish and dive on our way down to break up the trip, hit the towers and there are a bunch of charted wrecks that you can fill the box with. Again good luck and keep us posted. Now if you want to go to the Bahama's during june let me know as I am putting together a trip and the more boats the merrier, we would be doing a family trip to Lucaya.
    Depending on the weather, there is usually a fair amount of traffic in the area. Or at least more than you would see heading offshore due west of the coastline here in SW Florida. Lots of sailboats. The KW Express does cruise at 32 knots.
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    From FT Myers is that trip about 180 miles or so?
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    118 miles from the FMB sea buoy to the entrance of the NW channel.
  • RoydawnRoydawn Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    We did this trip last Nov in a Sea Fox 256 WA cuddy with a single Zuke 250. No Ft Myers to Everglades, 5 hrs, anchored out for night, then 3 hrs the next day to Marathon.straight shot would have about 7 hrs. Cape Ramano to Marathon was a little lonely, didn't see a boat for hrs. Very nice cruise. Trip back, 9 days later, was a little rougher, but still a great cruise. Roy
  • circus actcircus act Posts: 230 Officer
    I don't know of very many boats that can run that fast, over that distance, in open water that are under 35'. I think I usually see him on ARPA and AIS around 34-35 knots...which is cooking.

Following the coastline would add a considerable distance. It's a 120 mile straight line. I'm not sure it's a "route" other than on their plotter, they go from the FMB buoy straight to the inside of the KW buoy and usually shave off the green side and skip the bend at the tip of NW channel.