Sunday and Monday Negitive low tide fishing.

Took my kids Sunday over to the shoe for the negative morning low tide to look for some big trout. Put the boat in right at day break and headed north. Ran in until I found the depth I was looking for (shallow) and we started throwing skitter walks. Had a good bit of floating grass to deal with but dealt with it. We were not looking for numbers of fish, just big ones. We got about 5 or so over slot trout in the 5 pound range. About 9 or so we found a small school of over slot reds and doubled up but somehow lost both fish. Probably in the 30 inch range. The sun was up high now and the water was pretty clear so I jumped up and started poling the boys around. Sight fished two more just over slot trout and 3 mid slot reds before the incoming tide dirtied up the water. The tide was still low so we headed up in front of a creek and put a few more upper slot trout in the boat before calling it a day.

Monday, grabbed my buddy Mike and headed over to Yankeetown to see if we could get a snook. Well the jacks were out of control. So, so many jacks. Not small ones either. They all were in the 10 pound range. After about 20 of them we were scared to cast. So we moved to a shallow flat in hopes of redfish and no jacks. To my happiness there were tails with spots on them waving at us when I got there. It was to shallow to run the trolling motor so I jumped up and polled Mike in. Unfortunately Mike was having a hard time making the perfect cast required to catch reds in 12 inches of water. Had about 20 shots and he never got buttoned up. I did manage to get a 27" red off of the poling platform that tried to sneak up behind us. There is nothing like seeing a red cruising across 12 inches of crystal clear water, making the perfect cast and watching it bull rush a bait and crush it. Once again, once the tide turned and started in the water got dirty and it was over. The only pic I took was from the platform while fighting the fish. Unfortunately Mike drop the fish over board after un hooking it for me. So I was not able to get a "in the boat pic"

Ok, now it is time to vent. Had to deal with some aholes on both days. One Sunday, I was poling the kids around 10 in the morning on some pot holes in about 12 inches of water. It was too shallow to run the trolling motor with out getting it in the grass. There was not another boat with in a mile of us. Well this 18 foot red bass tracker runs in on us and sets down about 50 yards from us. They throw a cast net twice then try to jump back on plane several times before finally getting up. As they ran back out they ran a ground again. Then tried again to jump back up several more times. They blew every fish in the area out and tore up a bunch of grass. If you read this you are an **** who should not own a boat. To everyone else. If you see some one up on the poling platform poling a boat, please give them as much room as possible. They are working hard and running next to them makes all the work for nothing. Monday, We hit the discharge first looking for snook. We are about halfway up the canal and the only boat there. The tide was pretty low. Most of the bay was out of the water. Some guy in a 17 foot key west comes in from the crystal river side and is running the canal on plane. I said to Mike, I wonder if he is going to go by us on plane. Nope, he drops down to about 10 or 11 miles and hour with his bow pointed to the sky and throws a 3 foot wave at us.

Replies

• Red612Red612 Posts: 284 Deckhand
    Those are some nice trout there!!!!
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    Nice job Scott, those trout look like real healthy. The aholes are always around some are running around you blowing up the fish and sometimes they are parked in the middle of a creek mouth where you can't get out or in.
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    I'm pretty sure he was trying to mark where I was fishing. Never made a cast with a rod. Once they got up on plane the second time they ran out of site.
  • GatoRellaGatoRella Posts: 521 Officer
    Nothing is more frustrating than having a boat bust up a flat you are poling on, gets me fired up.

Where we fish its usually Billy-Bob on his blow boat, rounding up mullet. :machinegun
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,959 Captain
    Nice trout!! Nice to see the big ones showing up. You'll never be rid of the idiots that swarm on the water. Usually after hitting bottom a few times they give up those shallow water trips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Thats some nice early morning Slobby Trout, WTG:applause
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,254 Officer
    Gator Trout and Red bonus! You got those boys spoiled right!
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,449 AG
    Took my kids Sunday over to the shoe for the negative morning low tide to look for some big trout. Put the boat in right at day break and headed north. Ran in until I found the depth I was looking for (shallow) and we started throwing skitter walks. Had a good bit of floating grass to deal with but dealt with it. We were not looking for numbers of fish, just big ones. We got about 5 or so over slot trout in the 5 pound range. About 9 or so we found a small school of over slot reds and doubled up but somehow lost both fish. Probably in the 30 inch range. The sun was up high now and the water was pretty clear so I jumped up and started poling the boys around. Sight fished two more just over slot trout and 3 mid slot reds before the incoming tide dirtied up the water. The tide was still low so we headed up in front of a creek and put a few more upper slot trout in the boat before calling it a day.

Monday, grabbed my buddy Mike and headed over to Yankeetown to see if we could get a snook. Well the jacks were out of control. So, so many jacks. Not small ones either. They all were in the 10 pound range. After about 20 of them we were scared to cast. So we moved to a shallow flat in hopes of redfish and no jacks. To my happiness there were tails with spots on them waving at us when I got there. It was to shallow to run the trolling motor so I jumped up and polled Mike in. Unfortunately Mike was having a hard time making the perfect cast required to catch reds in 12 inches of water. Had about 20 shots and he never got buttoned up. I did manage to get a 27" red off of the poling platform that tried to sneak up behind us. There is nothing like seeing a red cruising across 12 inches of crystal clear water, making the perfect cast and watching it bull rush a bait and crush it. Once again, once the tide turned and started in the water got dirty and it was over. The only pic I took was from the platform while fighting the fish. Unfortunately Mike drop the fish over board after un hooking it for me. So I was not able to get a "in the boat pic"

Ok, now it is time to vent. Had to deal with some aholes on both days. One Sunday, I was poling the kids around 10 in the morning on some pot holes in about 12 inches of water. It was too shallow to run the trolling motor with out getting it in the grass. There was not another boat with in a mile of us. Well this 18 foot red bass tracker runs in on us and sets down about 50 yards from us. They throw a cast net twice then try to jump back on plane several times before finally getting up. As they ran back out they ran a ground again. Then tried again to jump back up several more times. They blew every fish in the area out and tore up a bunch of grass. If you read this you are an **** who should not own a boat. To everyone else. If you see some one up on the poling platform poling a boat, please give them as much room as possible. They are working hard and running next to them makes all the work for nothing. Monday, We hit the discharge first looking for snook. We are about halfway up the canal and the only boat there. The tide was pretty low. Most of the bay was out of the water. Some guy in a 17 foot key west comes in from the crystal river side and is running the canal on plane. I said to Mike, I wonder if he is going to go by us on plane. Nope, he drops down to about 10 or 11 miles and hour with his bow pointed to the sky and throws a 3 foot wave at us.

Wow, those are awesome. GATA trouts! :beer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    This time of year your boat make me jealous:grin
    Good to see the big Trout biting...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    There seemed to be plenty of big trout. Saw a bunch of good ones spook out of the grass while poling that we never had a shot at. Glad the red tide did not make it in far enough to kill the grass.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,929 Captain
    I'm glad. It had me pretty convinced that the red tide had taken them out. I saw so many dead fish out on the grass flats about a month ago out there. I still haven't been hooking any big reds, lots of smaller fish out there for me lately. Hoping I've just had a few off weeks and that the big dawgs are still out there.
  • GATOR1991GATOR1991 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    We had someone in a red bass tracker do that same thing at the shoe last Saturday, probably the same idiots. NICE CATCH!! :applause
    I think I saw that guy come rescue somebody who was broke down way up in Shired creek two weeks ago. He came down off plane and idled over my fishing spot, then throttled up about 10 feet past me. I wasn't catching anything anyway so I didn't really care, LOL. It was a real new looking Bass Tracker, all shiny and red. Maybe he's new here.
    Yea Jim, it was shiny and new with a merc on the back. Won't be shiny long if he keeps trying to get on plane in 12 inches of water north of Horseshoe. It will either have rock scares or bullet holes.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,550 Captain
    Those trout made some big smiles.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    I know you don't think about it when you are fishing, but take a picture of the idiot and post on here so we can return the favor...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,410 Officer
    Outstanding fish and day (s) on the water Scott. You're boys are growing big time!
    Brian
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,282 AG
    GatoRella wrote: »
    Nothing is more frustrating than having a boat bust up a flat you are poling on, gets me fired up.

Where we fish its usually Billy-Bob on his blow boat, rounding up mullet. :machinegun
    Funny, that's what we say about ya'll.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Funny, that's what we say about ya'll.

How does someone poling a boat bust up a flat. :shrug Being an **** is not limited to one kind of boat.
    ANUMBER1's push pole is his cane. He shakes it at all the other people poling his flats.
  • fitnastfitnast Posts: 142 Officer

The guy in the key west is a snow bird and has ran up on me more times than I care to say. At least I never see him catching anything. He just showed up a few weeks back and has no ettiquete whatsoever. The sad part is I don't believe he thinks he is doing anything wrong Scott.
    I knew he was a snow bird. You can tell. Never made eye contact. Ran all the way to the fence and tied off. I was half temped to run up there and hit him with the 115 HP squirt gun.
  • pergatronpergatron Posts: 251 Deckhand
    Well this 18 foot red bass tracker runs in on us and sets down about 50 yards from us.
    Jim311 wrote: »
    ANUMBER1's push pole is his cane. He shakes it at all the other people poling his flats.
    No, I just give them some spray with the prop wash:grin.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,962 Moderator
    I knew he was a snow bird. You can tell. Never made eye contact. Ran all the way to the fence and tied off. I was half temped to run up there and hit him with the 115 HP squirt gun.

Idle there ain't it ?
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    Idle there ain't it ?

Yep.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    No, I just give them some spray with the prop wash:grin.

If you were on a flat, I would never come set down close to you, or anyone. I try to respect everyone's space. Plus this idiot set an 18 foot bass tracker with a 90 merc down in a foot of water on a pristine grass bed. He did not care one bit about digging up the grass. Also be careful who you spray. My 115 hp squirt gun will sink an airboat in about 15 seconds. :wink
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 307 Deckhand
    Nice fish. Glad you could enjoy them with your children.
    If you were on a flat, I would never come set down close to you, or anyone. I try to respect everyone's space. Plus this idiot set an 18 foot bass tracker with a 90 merc down in a foot of water on a pristine grass bed. He did not care one bit about digging up the grass. Also be careful who you spray. My 115 hp squirt gun will sink an airboat in about 15 seconds. :wink
    deckover:wink:grin
    Nice fish.

I agree with you on the yahoos though