Comeback Post... Quick Afternoon of Venice Trolling!

Hey everyone! It's been quite some time since I posted here, I'll probably be making a "year in pictures" kind of post very soon. Good to be back!

Anyways, me and the old man went out for a quick few hours of trolling about a mile or so off of Venice. Left the dock around 2:30 with a sabiki, 2 deep diving plugs, and a kingfish spoon. Ran south out of the jetty and just went nice and easy along some of the crab buoy lines. I freaking love the weather right now. Very sunny, but I didn't even break a sweat the whole time I was out there.

Anyways, after trolling down to Sharky's and back we headed offshore another half mile and ran back northwards. About halfway through, we get our first hit. Must've been a shark or a king with some serious chompers, because the wire leader was cut clean through. Oh well, we tossed on another plug with some more heavy-duty light cable.

Around 3:45 we finally get the first fish, a nice 20-lb or so king that we released immediately due to all the recent notices I've seen about mercury in those guys. Hopefully that gets fixed soon, I love me some smoked kingfish :thumbsup No photo of this one!

We were finishing another pass northwards around 4:15 when the action came back. Got a nice hit on the gray-and-pink Bomber, I bring it in, figuring it's a little snake king. WRONG! Turned out to be the biggest dang Spanish I've ever caught, I thought it was a king until we got it in the boat and saw the yellow spots. Weighed in at 7.8 lbs on the handheld scale.

Look at those dentures :wink

High-fived, tossed the fish on ice, and kept at it. 20 minutes later, we see a solid school of bait off of our bow with about 8 terns diving on it. For the rest of the trip, we were trolling around the edge of that. Ended up with another smaller, but still HUGE (for me at least) Spanish and a surprise catch: 24.5" gag!

Very welcome guest to the cooler! With the sun lowering and the wind picking up, we decided to head in around 5:00 and finish the day. For a little under 3 hours of fishing, not bad! All fish were caught in 25' on gray/pink and yellow/white Bombers.

Fillet table pic
Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.

Replies