Beach Flounder

Heading down to SRQ today for a week. Anyone have any pointers on catching flounder in the surf? Tackle, bait, time of day? I know where, I just suck at it.

I typically fish from a boat but being that the wife is with me this trip my boat time will be limited.

Thanks

Ryan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    I remember some mentioned Englewood beach hold fair amount of fish, small jig head and live shrimp was used in one report...there where a few people that posted it...maybe a search if the reports sections
    Capt Bill
  • Holmes BeachHolmes Beach Posts: 969 Officer
    Fish on the inside of the pass, whatever pass you are on. Early morning, tide ripping is best. Small jig head, tipped with a sturdy bait like pinfish skin or a squid, something that will stay on the hook. 3' of water or less.
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    You can go jig off of turtle beach as it's the least crowded. A small jig just cast out and bounce it slowly along the bottom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Thanks guys. Will give it a try and report back. I tried turtle beach this time last year but only caught 7 dozen lady fish. Ruined my good fishing shirt too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    I was told they were not fit to eat in the warm water ... ?
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Quite the contrary, I have had them and just as good as the fish from the east coast..ice them down as soon as you get them
    Capt Bill
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    RexLan wrote: »
    Not True
    RMD wrote: »
    Heading down to SRQ today for a week. Anyone have any pointers on catching flounder in the surf? Tackle, bait, time of day? I know where, I just suck at it.

I typically fish from a boat but being that the wife is with me this trip my boat time will be limited.

Thanks

Ryan
    Good luck Ryan, I think I just talked to you about beach flounder. I caught these beach flounder last week. Might have already sent this to you.
    Thanks for all the input guys. I fished 3 days on a boat. The days I had reserved for beach fishing were so windy I never got out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Local flounder is my favorite fish to eat. Better than any snapper or grouper in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    I have always did good for flounder on Ana Marie island pier. I think it's called city pier. It's the one with the restaurant on the end of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • Holmes BeachHolmes Beach Posts: 969 Officer
    RMD wrote: »
    Local flounder is my favorite fish to eat. Better than any snapper or grouper in my opinion.

RexLan is disturbed. I agree flounder is fantastic. I told you to fish on the inside...but you didn't listen. Sorry the weather sucked.
    I told you to fish on the inside...but you didn't listen. Sorry the weather sucked.

I heard your advice and do appreciate that you took the time to reply. I live out of state so when I get down there I need to run my boat otherwise the engines sit and this can increase risk of issues.

I did fish the inside of Big Pass the one day and did catch a couple flatties. My goal was to fish Friday and Saturday by foot. I was going to wade fish and then I was going to go out at night and try to spear some with my headlamp. With the winds so crazy Friday and Saturday that just didn't happen unfortunately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RexLan is disturbed. I agree flounder is fantastic. I told you to fish on the inside...but you didn't listen. Sorry the weather sucked.

I am disturbed only because you are too old and decrepit to carry your own water .... :funnypost

But on a serious note ... the only reason I commented was because that was what I was told and it sounded "fishy" ..... I too like store bought flounder, not sure about warm water flounder however.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    I am disturbed only because you are too old a decrepit to carry your own water .... :funnypost

But on a serious note ... the only reason I commented was because that was what I was told and it sounded "fishy" ..... I too like store bought flounder, not sure about warm water flounder however.

RexLan,

We have caught numerous species which are excellent table fare, including red snapper, mangos, yellowtail, mahi, permit, scamp, tuna, hogfish. My kids hands down favorite is flounder fish and chips. It is the least "fishy" tasting fish of any of these fish. It has very little blood in it and a virtually nonexistent lateral line. It is phenomenal. The only fish that rivals flounder is hogfish, in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am from Alaska and used to cold water fish. I did some stocking in remote lakes with the C-185 for the state hatchery of lake trout, rainbow and grayling. I of course visited those lakes occasionally in the summer and it took little more than 5 minutes to catch 3-4 5# lake trout standing on the floats of the airplane ... every time. They grow pretty quick in those lakes. The only flounder we had was in SE and it was not actually marketed before I left. I have a few and it is excellent, but mostly Halibut.

I found that the Lake Trout in the shallow lakes, like the northern pike, to be soft flesh and a bit of a musty taste. The fish from the big lakes up north that were frozen 8 months of the year and over 100' deep and very cold held excellent quality fish. We also drank the water in those lakes.

I too like a "fishy tasting" fish. Always strikes me as funny when folks want fish but don't want it to taste like fish ! Most of the farm raised stuff is pure junk IMHO like the salmon.

I've only been around FL for 4 years and the limited fish I have had is very good but it is quite soft, like the grouper. I make a lot of sausage and don't have a boat so I trade occasionally with folks for something they can't get and I can't get. I make general assumptions, apparently invalid ones, that warm water fish are the same.

I found a good source for Icelandic wild caught cod (frozen) which is quite good and still has a bit of taste. I deep fry it or bake with a Ritz cracker crust. I've been promised some hog fish when they go diving again. I would also like to give the Cobia a shot as we especially enjoy fish.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    RexLan , if you are getting soft grouper . It is more than likely over cooked OR was not handled properly . I used to complain about some of the snappers (Mutton and Lanes) being to soft. I have always brought more than enough ice for the species that I target. A form member recommended a slurry for the snappers . That is the way to go ! When I am fishing for groceries now , They slurry is ready . All fish get a dunk and stay until I leave for home. At that point , I drain the water and add more ice , to avoid possible damage from the sloshing coolers
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    About the only fish we ever catch that seem to be really 'soft' @ the cleaning table are Lane Snappers... I'm guessing a Saltwater Slurry is the only way to keep them ?
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Yeah , I don't really care for the Lanes . Slurry will help them out . IMO I'd rather have grunts
    Lanes are nice because you can get good sized filets in the bigger fish. They get mushy if not iced well enough. If handled properly they are very good eating when fresh caught. However they*do not freeze well at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ice is a must for lanes and yellow tails, the colder you keep the easier to fillet and keep. just keep the fillet bag on ice if traveling
    Capt Bill
  • WVHillbillyWVHillbilly Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I understand RexLan's opinion on warm water fish. Alaskan halibut, salmon, rock cod and things like grayling, etc are all solid flakey fish and taste extraordinary. The texture is quite a bit different from the snapper, grouper, etc we catch down here.
    It's all good though!