Thanksgiving Week on LGI

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.
Our family will be renting a house on the north end of LGI (Palm/Don Pedro) for Thanksgiving week. We are planning on fishing the beach and from the dock. We might rent a boat for a few days.

We are going to try our hand at catching sand fleas for surf fishing and using a cast net to catch other bait.

Is there any place on the island to buy shrimp or do you need to go to shop on the mainland?

Would like to bring some soft baits to use with jig heads. Any recommendations for brand, size, color?

Thanks.

Replies

• bullbaybullbay Posts: 158 Deckhand
    pm sent
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 659 Officer
    Nothing on the island but houses, people and golf carts. Buy shrimp on the mainland. Bait in the surf will be scarce. Pinfish are always there. Top waters are fun, mirrorlures work as does soft plastics, gulp rigged weedless bounced on the bottom, lady fish cut up is popular too...good luck, jealous, love that place
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    rjaywhit wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.
    Our family will be renting a house on the north end of LGI (Palm/Don Pedro) for Thanksgiving week. We are planning on fishing the beach and from the dock. We might rent a boat for a few days.

We are going to try our hand at catching sand fleas for surf fishing and using a cast net to catch other bait.

Is there any place on the island to buy shrimp or do you need to go to shop on the mainland?

Would like to bring some soft baits to use with jig heads. Any recommendations for brand, size, color?

Thanks.
    Flounder fishing along the beach should be good if the surf is calm. Cut 3-4" strips from little bait fish you can catch on the beach. Then put strip bait on a # 1/0 hook with a split shot on line. Retrieve it very slow along bottom. OR you could use a DOA 1/4 OZ Night Glow Shrimp and work that very slow along the bottom. Very slow, and no jigging. Also 4" white gotcha curl tails on a 1/4 OZ jig head works. Good luck out there.
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    Beach Flounder.
  • rjaywhitrjaywhit Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the advice. How heavy a split shot?
  • rjaywhitrjaywhit Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Will spoons work as well as top waters?
  • DubbleDeeDubbleDee Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Spoons will work well, add a grub to a johnson silver minnow and you will have a lot of fun. Along with that we always have luck with frozen shrimp on either a jig head or a light chicken rig with size #1 circle hooks (helps with the release).

Have fun on the Island, we can't wait to get back at Christmas.

DD
    Spending time on LGI! "The difference between living and LIVING WELL!"

http://tarponrealestate.com/all-rentals/0192-2/