Red Snapper Amendment 40 passed

Looks like our amazing feds decided to pass Amendment 40, which is sector separation. Now the federal amount will be divided into three categories, commercial, for hire/charter, and recreational. This means, Commercial sector will still keep its 51% while our 49% for recs will be split AGAIN. Basically, 75% of the qouta will be given to commercial boats and charter boats who purchase the required permits/catch shares. Looks like our rec season will probably not exist down here in our neck of the woods.

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/docs/amendments/Amendment%2040%20Sector%20Separation.pdf

http://www.al.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2014/10/gulf_council_approves_splittin.html
Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's

Replies

• PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Sunsports right now... How to do florida..... It's a shame
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    They can change that show to 'How to Screw Florida's (Recreational Fishermen)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    Not sure if anyone saw the segment of the show on ARS. I think the show was called saltwater cowboys.

They commercial guys would have four electrics drop down on top of a show of snapper. Each line had ~15 hooks. Each line came up full and the snappers they kept were anywhere from 2lbs-14lbs.

Doesn't take long to catch tons of fish at 60 fish per drop.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,288 Admiral
    Pilchard wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone saw the segment of the show on ARS. I think the show was called saltwater cowboys.

They commercial guys would have four electrics drop down on top of a show of snapper. Each line had ~15 hooks. Each line came up full and the snappers they kept were anywhere from 2lbs-14lbs.

Doesn't take long to catch tons of fish at 60 fish per drop.
    Doesn't have anything to do with sector separation
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Looks like our rec season will probably not exist down here in our neck of the woods.

Excellent point, get use to the idea of catch shares, this in only the begining. Some states call it RSA (research set aside) and by permit only only..the idea of charter and party boats getting a different bag limit has be going on for years in the same states that have the RSA guidelines....fair NO not at all
    Capt Bill
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Doesn't have anything to do with sector separation

Never said it did.
  • circus actcircus act Posts: 230 Officer
    Hawkboat wrote: »
    Looks like our rec season will probably not exist down here in our neck of the woods.

Excellent point, get use to the idea of catch shares, this in only the begining. Some states call it RSA (research set aside) and by permit only only..the idea of charter and party boats getting a different bag limit has be going on for years in the same states that have the RSA guidelines....fair NO not at all

I agree this is getting outta control.

Will the Dry Tortugas be open?
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,857 Captain
    I lol'ed
  • Veikx wrote: »
    Looks like our amazing feds decided to pass Amendment 40...

Actually Florida's appointees to the Gulf Council were responsible for it's passage, excepting our FWC representative who opposed it.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 850 Officer
    Some states call it RSA (research set aside) and by permit only only..the idea of charter and party boats getting a different bag limit has be going on for years in the same states that have the RSA guidelines....fair NO not at all

RSA IS NOT SECTOR SEPARATION. Not even close. Hopefully this thread does not go OUTTA CONTROL with misinformation.

I AM ON THE AD HOC panel for GOMFMC. Out first meeting is in December. I will report.

Greg
    keep the side reamaks to your self, when you actually know what your talking about.
    Capt Bill
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 850 Officer
    keep the side reamaks to your self, when you actually know what your talking about.

I do what I'm talking about because I am active in fisheries management and have been since 1989 in New England, FKNMS and the South Atlantic region. Recently I have been paying more attention to the GOM. For that reason I have been appointed to this-

Ad Hoc Red Snapper For-hire IFQ

Gary Bryant
    Shane Cantrell
    Daryl Carpenter
    Troy Frady
    James Green
    Charles Guilford
    Mark Hubbard
    Mark Kelley
    Robbie Langlinais
    Seth Macinko
    Greg Mercurio
    Mike Nugent
    Rene Rice
    Scott Robson
    Bill Staff
    Mike Sullivan
    Skipper Thierry
    Tommy Williams
    Edward Walker
    Johnn Williams
    Troy Williamson
    Bob Zales, II
    Staff Rep.: Assane Diagne

You have no idea what I have been involved in and what I have done.

Sorry for the derail folks.
    Refering to O/C... remark never doubted you quailification or past history
    Capt Bill
  • VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    Actually Florida's appointees to the Gulf Council were responsible for it's passage, excepting our FWC representative who opposed it.

Understood, thanks for the correction!
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
  • circus actcircus act Posts: 230 Officer
    Did you guys hear the great news?

I heard another operation is looking into the SWFL area to show all the local's how it's done, a newly refit boat capable of 40 knots and with a private undersea tunnel straight to Pulley Ridge.

I can't confirm this rumor if anybody else can?

I heard it's called the Outta Business.
    That is what happens when you run Outta Money.
  • Let's stay with this important issue, OK guys?

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    What does this mean for the recreational guys in our region? When is it implemented? Will we have a season this year?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    RMD wrote: »
    What does this mean for the recreational guys in our region? When is it implemented? Will we have a season this year?

I assume everyone is just guessing as of now, but the so called experts are guessing we'll get ~1 day Fed. ARS Season...
    State (not Fed.) Management of the resource is really our only hope at getting our Rec. ARS back...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    Wow. That sucks. Good thing there are plenty of red snapper in state waters off Sarasota.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,857 Captain
    RMD wrote: »

It means if you want to eat ARS you either has to pay a capt. or buy it in a store.

Gotta love OUR guberment....
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,355 Officer
    Let's stay with this important issue, OK guys?

OK back on topic after comedic relief break. Who should we hold accountable in the voting booth?

Who appointed the ones who are not really representing us? Rick Scott, or were they put in under Charlie Crist? Someone else?

Until we start going back up the ladder from these councils who have proven they take "no public input seriously" in their decision making, and hold someone accountable, there will not be a change. IMHO

I bet if the exit polls results at Novembers elections were to report that just 10% of exiting voters replied I voted for not one incumbent because none of them are addressing the "red snapper fiasco" we would see some step up and take notice for a change.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• I don't believe there are any appointees left over from the Crist administration. And I can only think of one that voiced any advocacy for recreational fishermen of those and he retired frustrated and hamstrung.

Scott's appointees all voted for the amendment.

On the other hand, Scotts appointees to the FWC all opposed the amendment and sent Martha to do so on their behalf.

So I don't know if he sent that same message to our representatives on the council.

We will be suing NMFS to stop it's implementation, since it has no authority to create another sector under Magnuson.

I don't believe there are any appointees left over from the Crist administration. And I can only think of one that voiced any advocacy for recreational fishermen of those and he retired frustrated and hamstrung.

Scott's appointees all voted for the amendment.

On the other hand, Scotts appointees to the FWC all opposed the amendment and sent Martha to do so on their behalf.

So I don't know if he sent that same message to our representatives on the council.

We will be suing NMFS to stop it's implementation, since it has no authority to create another sector under Magnuson.

1. Can't we just blame it on Obama?

2. Anything anyone can do to fight this would be appreciated. I would support legal action

3. If this goes through, I will never purchase red snapper in a restaurant simply out of principle. I would rather eat dog food. I will do my part not to support commercial fishing for species the rest of us can't catch and keep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BubbaIIBubbaII Posts: 328 Deckhand

That's CCA's claim? That's the best you got? That won't float a piece of styrofoam. The Council is not creating a new sector. The amendment is quite clear that it is establishing sub-quotas for components of the recreational sector (which includes charter boats - text from MSA), and that when the single recreational quota is reached, both components will be closed. Good luck with that argument as your primary attack. Why don't you just mail me the check that you'll waste on your lawyer?
  • BubbaII wrote: »
    That's CCA's claim? That's the best you got? That won't float a piece of styrofoam. The Council is not creating a new sector. The amendment is quite clear that it is establishing sub-quotas for components of the recreational sector (which includes charter boats - text from MSA), and that when the single recreational quota is reached, both components will be closed. Good luck with that argument as your primary attack. Why don't you just mail me the check that you'll waste on your lawyer?

:grin

Scared all your hard work (and EDF paycheck continuing) won't survive a legal challenge, huh?

That's very encouraging.

Thanks!