Gulf Council screws recs even further

2»

Replies

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 647 Officer
    I assume this answers your question ?
    (C&P'd from Gary on Page ~2)
    "The "charter boat crowd"? The charter boat industry (e.g. NACO, FGA) opposed this action and has been actively fighting against it passing for several years.

The advocates are a small group of dual (commercial and recreational) license holders, who with the financial support of the Environmental Defense Fund, seek economic advantage entitling themselves to exclusive participation in both fisheries quotas and seasons.

This separation and effective conversion of recreational fisheries allocations is not authorized by Magnuson - Stevens will be challenged by FRA, CCA and the two mentioned charter boat associations.

We look forward to your financial support in that effort."

Dang Stammy: Who pissed in your cereal? I was just asking which group intended to lead a coalition to put together a legal challenge. I contribute to a number of fisheries organizations, and serve of the Board of Directors of one of them. I've paid my dues and will continue to do so.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    limitless wrote: »
    Dang Stammy: Who pissed in your cereal? I was just asking which group intended to lead a coalition to put together a legal challenge. I contribute to a number of fisheries organizations, and serve of the Board of Directors of one of them. I've paid my dues and will continue to do so.

Clearly you misunderstood my tone... I was simply trying to answer your question w/o being accused of misrepresenting the facts as I read them... Sorry if that's interpreted as being 'pissy' or 'argumentative' or 'negative' in any way... It wasn't meant to convey any 'emotion' whatsoever...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 599 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Lets see, reefish permit, VMS, VMS service(no rec trip declaration), approved Fed Reef fish wholesale dock to land your catch, (must have fed reef fish WDL and State WDL), hail in/hail out(declare purpose of trip), 3 hour notification of docking(dock five minutes early, get a ticket, spin around in the bay if you must), declare unloading date and time( don't do it without FWC, get a ticket).

If you wish to land your fish at your house, then you must get the fed and state WDL if your counties/homeowners assn. zoning board will allow it.
    Don't forget st trip tickets, federal catch, discard, and economic impact logbooks.

Good Luck!

Yeah I know how it works, I got plenty of time in catching reef fish. That's why I said for 20k you can be in business, and right now you can lease yourself some snapper for $2-$2.50 a pound and go catch all you want, wait a few more weeks and might can get it at $1.50.

And trust me there's plenty of fish landed at a dock that don't make it to a fish house. I'm fine with it, there's plenty of boats I can go run and still catch everything except jacks, and it really isn't that big of a hassle. Just saying I kill more on quota by a long shot than recreationally. It's just a pay to play system, that's all.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,261 Admiral
    I have to ask one more time - Is the FRA composed of recreational fisherman and commercial fishermen. Does or did the FRA represent the interests of both recreational fishermen and commercial fishermen?

These are plain simple questions from a simple person. Can any FRA representative answer these questions? This may help greatly in garnering support from the recreational sector.
    Fishing Rights Alliance, Inc. is a Florida Domestic Non-Profit Corporation filed on March 2, 2004. The company's filing status is listed as Active and its File Number is N04000002162.

The Registered Agent on file for this company is O'hern Dennis and is located at 4604 49th Street North St. Petersburg, FL 33709. The company's principal address is 4604 49th Street North #34 St. Petersburg, FL 33709 and its mailing address is 4604 49th Street North #34 St. Petersburg, FL 33709.

The company has 5 principals on record. The principals are Ed Walker from St. Petersburg FL, Kristie Gilford from St. Petersburg FL, Paul Kerr from St Petersburg FL, Dennis O'hern from St. Petersburg FL, and Howie Scarboro from Palm Harbor FL.

Company Information

Company Name: FISHING RIGHTS ALLIANCE, INC.
    File Number: N04000002162
    Filing State: Florida (FL)
    Filing Status: Active
    Filing Date: March 2, 2004
    Company Age: 10 Years, 7 Months

Registered Agent:

O'hern Dennis
    4604 49th Street North
    St. Petersburg, FL 33709

Principal Address:

4604 49th Street North
    St. Petersburg, FL 33709

Mailing Address:

4604 49th Street North
    St. Petersburg, FL 33709

Company Contacts

ED WALKER
    Gm
    4604 49th St N, #34
    St. Petersburg, FL 33709

KRISTIE GILFORD
    Gm
    4604 49th Street N, #34
    St. Petersburg, FL 33709

PAUL KERR
    Gm
    4711 54 Ave N
    St Petersburg, FL 33714

DENNIS O'HERN
    Gmcp
    4604 49th Streen #35
    St. Petersburg, FL 33709

HOWIE SCARBORO
    Gm
    4604 49th Street N, #34
    Palm Harbor, FL 34684
    Does the FRA have a financial report that is available to view?

Look when you solicit for donations the public has a right to know.

Another simple question - Are all those involved doing this work as unpaid volunteers or do the corporate officers and employees get paid? If so how much?
  • The FRA represents recreational fishing interests. If you attend FWC and Gulf Council meetings you will hear Denny O'Hern advocate for the recreation sector.

RFA is more closely aligned with commercial fishing interests.

If you have any questions visit the FRA website http://thefra.org/about-us/ or contact me directly.

No one is "getting paid" to do this nonsense.

Let's focus on the issue , OK?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    So what's your take on the FRA vs. the CCA (if you were going to support one or the other) & why ???
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • I understand that both are bringing legal action in the matter. As in the previous action , I expect that they will merge.

As for which to support, both are effective, historically, so it becomes a matter of which style of advocacy you prefer.

O'Hern is an in your face/ take no prisoners, public brawler. He is one of the most knowledgeable and articulate speakers I know. He is not shy, with his opinions. He reminds me of me.

CCA, is a lot more subtle, well funded and politically connected and plays at the legislative level. Most of the work they do is unseen by the public.

I support both, and have not been disappointed in either.

And for full disclosure, I am the Sr. Vice President of the Florida Guides Association. I expect that we will be joining on the FRA side, although it has not yet been determined.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Years ago, I believe in this forum, the CCA's liberal agenda was uncovered. They lean too strongly towards a liberal tree hugger agenda for our taste. Since then I have quit contributing to them and removed all their stickers from my boats and vehicles.

Upon conclusion of further investigation we may begin to support the FRA, however we will never again contribute to CCA.