Gulf Council screws recs even further

By 10 - 7 vote they approved sector separation.
This means charter for hire boats get half of the recreational quota.
This means that between commercial boats, and charter boats, they have
75% of the quota.
F the feds

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    This means Private Rec. Fishermen will get ~1 Day to keep ARS in Fed. Waters, but while you (& I) are catching & releasing those 20lbrs (hoping for something 'In Season'), the Charter Boat next to you (& I) will be tossing them in the cooler & laughing at you (& me)...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Got the roll call?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,941 Captain
    The vote to approve A40 broke down as follows:

Corky Perret (MS) – y
    Roy Williams (FL) – y
    Johnny Sanchez (FL)– y
    Harlan Pearce (LA) – y
    Pam Dana (FL) – y
    Camp Matens (LA) – n
    Leean Bosarge (MS) – y
    Dale Walker (AL) – y
    Roy Crabtree (NMFS) – y
    Dale Diaz (MS) – n
    Doug Boyd - (TX) – n
    Greg Stunz (TX) – n
    Johnny Greene (AL) – y
    Robin Riechers (TX) – n
    Martha Bademan (FL) – n
    Myron Fischer (LA) – n
    Kevin Anson (AL) – y

Fl. reps voted 4-1 for it, creeps.
    F the feds
    These people voted for:

Green x

Walker x

Perret x

Pearce x

Crab x

Bosarge x

Anson x

Williams x

Sanchez x

Dana x
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • FV Miss MaryFV Miss Mary Posts: 497 Officer
    Don't blame all charter boats. Some tried to stop it. Those that pushed it are in for a shock. Divide and conquer will be their demise.
    This means Private Rec. Fishermen will get ~1 Day to keep ARS in Fed. Waters, but while you (& I) are catching & releasing those 20lbrs (hoping for something 'In Season'), the Charter Boat next to you (& I) will be tossing them in the cooler & laughing at you (& me)...
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,490 Officer
    Anyone know what commercial quota allocation is?
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,941 Captain
    Comm= 51%
    F the feds
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,372 AG
    Is anyone surprised?
    Warning Level 2
  • THOMAS CITY CURVETHOMAS CITY CURVE Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    ---- THE FEDS !!!!!!
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,243 Admiral
    First we were "used" by the commercial fishermen with that "Fishing Alliance" crap. Now we have been had by the charter boat crowd. I hate to say it but I felt it coming for some time. Nothing will change until individual recreational fisherman stand up for themselves as a group. A GREAT start would be to stop using charter boats altogether. Charter captains being friends or not we will never charter another trip. Time for the "buddy boat" system to go into effect.

A sad state of affairs for sure. It will be years before the local economies are rocked enough to realize what has happened to them. I see a steady stream of boats leaving the coast, along with the hard cash they used to spend.
  • First we were "used" by the commercial fishermen with that "Fishing Alliance" crap. Now we have been had by the charter boat crowd. I hate to say it but I felt it coming for some time. Nothing will change until individual recreational fisherman stand up for themselves as a group. A GREAT start would be to stop using charter boats altogether. Charter captains being friends or not we will never charter another trip. Time for the "buddy boat" system to go into effect.

A sad state of affairs for sure. It will be years before the local economies are rocked enough to realize what has happened to them. I see a steady stream of boats leaving the coast, along with the hard cash they used to spend.

The "charter boat crowd"? The charter boat industry (e.g. NACO, FGA) opposed this action and has been actively fighting against it passing for several years.

The advocates are a small group of dual (commercial and recreational) license holders, who with the financial support of the Environmental Defense Fund, seek economic advantage entitling themselves to exclusive participation in both fisheries quotas and seasons.

This separation and effective conversion of recreational fisheries allocations is not authorized by Magnuson - Stevens will be challenged by FRA, CCA and the two mentioned charter boat associations.

We look forward to your financial support in that effort.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Gary is absolutely correct! The Charter Fisherman's Association was/is ENGO "astroturf".
    FRA is "Fishing Rights Alliance", right? Didn't that group consist of commercial & recreational fisherman? Am I wrong?

As far as CCA, I quit donating and scraped their stickers off all my vehicles as some of their liberal agendas became evident a few years ago.
  • So, does that mean that we can't depend on you for $100 to support the legal efforts to overturn this action which you so vehemently object to?

• Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 593 Officer
    So, does that mean that we can't depend on you for $100 to support the legal efforts to overturn this action which you so vehemently object to?

Why should anyone send money? We've been sending money for years and our fishing rights have consistantley dwindled away over the last 7 years. There's always talk about lawsuits and this and that but yet I have seen zero results. It's to a point now where Jacks, Snaps, triggers and red grouper are closed. I mean really, triggers and jacks? Ctfo! However if you have a permit everything except jacks is open as long as you pay $1-$4 per pound to lease it. From where I stand we as recreational anglers have been failed miserably. It's going to take something much more radical than lawsuits to change anything.
    You got it not $100 - not $1 - not 1 cent ............ As far as I'm concerned all these "fight for our fishing rights groups" that now exist are either a bunch of phonies or have their own self interests at heart.

Those that know us know we are not cheap, we are just tired of all the BS phony crap. Get something real going that can be PROVEN to be for us, the individual rec fisherman alone, and we - and I'm sure a whole lot of other like minded fishermen, will put up much more than $100. Until then we trust no one. Too much deception and hidden agendas - sorry!
  • Why should anyone send money? We've been sending money for years and our fishing rights have consistantley dwindled away over the last 7 years. There's always talk about lawsuits and this and that but yet I have seen zero results. It's to a point now where Jacks, Snaps, triggers and red grouper are closed. I mean really, triggers and jacks? Ctfo! However if you have a permit everything except jacks is open as long as you pay $1-$4 per pound to lease it. From where I stand we as recreational anglers have been failed miserably. It's going to take something much more radical than lawsuits to change anything.

FRA and CCA were successful in their previous suit which involved similar overreach.

I understand and it's fine with me if you do not wish to continue to spend anything more than a few minutes whining about your mistreatment at the hands of federal fisheries managers. It's the easiest thing to do.

I myself am exhausted having traveled and pleaded and been insulted or ignored in the 20 years I've been doing it. I am not going to stop and I'm not going to lose.

I'm not throwing any more good money at the bad. Yeah they've won some small battles but are getting their butts **** in the war!

Somebody starts breaking some eggs I'll start writing checks again.
    I'm not throwing any more good money at the bad. Yeah they've won some small battles but are getting their butts **** in the war!

Somebody starts breaking some eggs I'll start writing checks again.

The GUINDON et al v. PRITZKER case resulted in the nine day federal recreational snapper season last year.

Well look who is contributing to Gwen Grahams campaign against Rep. Steve Southerland!!!! Below are what appears to be campaign contributions to Gwen Graham from the GUINDON et al v. PRITZKER et al Plaintiffs.

KENNETH GUINDON
    No info.

QUALITY AMERICAN SEAFOOD, LLC
    No info.

A&B SEAFOOD, INC
    No info.

WILLIAM WRIGHT
    No info

WALKER FISHING FLEET, INC.

WALKER, DAVID
    ANDALUSIA, AL 36420 WALKER FISHING FLEET, INC. 11/26/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)
    WALKER, DAVID
    ANDALUSIA, AL 36420 WALKER FISHING FLEET, INC. 6/29/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)

LINDA BOVAIRD
    No info

BLUE DOLPHIN FISHING, INC.
    No info

LEWIS T BESSINGER
    No info

JAMES M WHITFIELD
    WHITFIELD, MIKE??
    LYNN HAVEN, FL 32444 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 6/26/14 $500 Graham, Gwen (D)
    WHITFIELD, JAMES
    LYNN HAVEN, FL 32444 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 3/31/14 $500 Graham, Gwen (D)
    WHITFIELD, MIKE
    LYNN HAVEN, FL 32444 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 6/26/13 $500 Graham, Gwen (D)
    WHITFIELD, MIKE
    LYNN HAVEN, FL 32444 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 11/27/13 $500 Graham, Gwen (D)

WILLIAM COCHRANE-Shareholders Alliance

CHRISTOPHER NIQUET
    NIQUET, CHRIS
    LYNN HAVEN, FL 32444 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 11/8/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)
    NIQUET, CHRIS P
    LYNN HAVEN, FL 32444 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 7/23/14 $2,500 Graham, Gwen (D)
    NIQUET, CHRIS

BARTHOLOMEW NIQUET
    NIQUET, BARTHOLOMEW

JAMES M CLEMENTS
    CLEMENTS, JAMES M
    CARRABELLE, FL 32322 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 5/2/13 $250 Graham, Gwen (D)
    CLEMENTS, JAMES M
    CARRABELLE, FL 32322 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 2/27/14 $1,000 Graham, Gwen (D)
    CLEMENTS, JAMES M
    CARRABELLE, FL 32322 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 4/9/14 $500 Graham, Gwen (D)
    CLEMENTS, JAMES M
    CARRABELLE, FL 32322 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 4/25/13 $250 Graham, Gwen (D)
    CLEMENTS, JAMES M
    CARRABELLE, FL 32322 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 9/30/13 $250 Graham, Gwen (D)
    CLEMENTS, JIM M
    CARRABELLE, FL 32322 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 11/8/13 $400 Graham, Gwen (D)
    CLEMENTS, JIM M
    CARRABELLE, FL 32322 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 10/30/13 $250 Graham, Gwen (D)

BUCCANEER FISH CO., INC.
    No info

JOHN ANDERSON
    ANDERSON, JOHN DAVID
    PANAMA CITY, FL 32408 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 6/26/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)
    ANDERSON, JOHN DAVID
    PANAMA CITY, FL 32408 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 7/31/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)
    ANDERSON, JOHN DAVID
    PANAMA CITY, FL 32408 3/12/14 $-100 Graham, Gwen (D)

GLENHART BROOKS , III-Shareholders's Alliance

RUSSELL UNDERWOOD
    UNDERWOOD, RUSSELL
    LYNN HAVEN, FL 32444 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 12/12/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)
    UNDERWOOD, RUSSELL
    LYNN HAVEN, FL 32444 COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN 8/21/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)

F/V DREAMCATCHER, INC.
    No info.

ARIEL SEAFOODS OF FLORIDA, INC.

DAVID KREBS - Gulf Seafood Institute
    KREBS, DAVID
    DESTIN, FL 32541 6/28/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)

DONALD A. WATERS
    No info.

WAYNE WERNER
    WERNER, WAYNE W
    ALACHUA, FL 32615 OWNER 11/8/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)
    KATIE S SEAFOOD MARKET, LLC

KEITH GUINDON
    GUINDON, KEITH
    GALVESTON, TX 77550 KATIE'S SEAFOOD MARKET 9/30/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)
    GUINDON, KEITH
    GALVESTON, TX 77550 KATIE'S SEAFOOD MARKET 12/13/13 $2,600 Graham, Gwen (D)

MARTIN ARNOLD
    No info.

FISH FOR AMERICA, LLC

GULF FISHERMENS ASSOCIATION, INC.

GULF OF MEXICO REEF FISH SHAREHOLDERs ALLIANCE

JARVIS, GARY
    DESTIN, FL 32540 BACK DOWN FISHING CHARTER 12/30/13 $1,000 Graham, Gwen (D)
    JARVIS, GARY
    DESTIN, FL 32540 BACK DOWN FISHING CHARTER 9/3/13 $250 Graham, Gwen (D)

Some ARE writing checks.

:wink
  • We are "they". If you don't want to play, don't pay.

We really shouldn't have to 'pay to play'... This is just another example of how far gone our country really is... I pay >$100K in taxes/yr... That should be enough GDammit...
  • What we shouldn't have to do and what we need to do are very different things.

No one needs to do anything and those of us who do something understand the complexity, difficulty and frustration of those who do not. It's simply the game. And I fault no one for not playing. It's no fun and very expensive.

Although I don't encourage Anarchy, (in the long run) it's probably cheaper to keep whatever you want to eat vs. sending money down a rabbit hole...
    Well We, They and Us have failed. Bottom line is things have only gotten worse in the last 7 years. I hate to tell you Gary, but you're not even trending water, you're just drowning.

Somebody come up with a real way to make a change and hit em where it hurts, let me know. I'll sign up in a heart beat. The definition of insanity, that's what's happening on "our" side. The only change I've seen has been for the worse.
  • We are going to sue NMFS and we will win.

For our sake I hope you're right Gary!
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 597 Officer
    We are going to sue NMFS and we will win.

We??? Who's we Gary?

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation now part of Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/

Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

limitless wrote: »
    We??? Who's we Gary?

I assume this answers your question ?
    (C&P'd from Gary on Page ~2)
    "The "charter boat crowd"? The charter boat industry (e.g. NACO, FGA) opposed this action and has been actively fighting against it passing for several years.

The advocates are a small group of dual (commercial and recreational) license holders, who with the financial support of the Environmental Defense Fund, seek economic advantage entitling themselves to exclusive participation in both fisheries quotas and seasons.

This separation and effective conversion of recreational fisheries allocations is not authorized by Magnuson - Stevens will be challenged by FRA, CCA and the two mentioned charter boat associations.

We look forward to your financial support in that effort."
    Best case scenario is what? A win and were back to our glorious 9 day season? When are or will we ever have 4 per person 180 day seasons?

The sad fact is you can just spend $20k get permits and fish whenever you want. Or nickel and dime $100 or $1000 here and there for ten years and still have 9 days to catch snapper, AJs (trash fish) closed, gags open half a year (maybe), triggers closed (WTH?), and red grouper shut down part of the year.

This is where it's gotten to. 7 years in the wrong direction, what's been tried on the recs behalf obviously isn't working and looks like if you want to fish in the future you might want to pick up some commercial permits and lease some quota.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,890 Admiral
    Lets see, reefish permit, VMS, VMS service(no rec trip declaration), approved Fed Reef fish wholesale dock to land your catch, (must have fed reef fish WDL and State WDL), hail in/hail out(declare purpose of trip), 3 hour notification of docking(dock five minutes early, get a ticket, spin around in the bay if you must), declare unloading date and time( don't do it without FWC, get a ticket).

If you wish to land your fish at your house, then you must get the fed and state WDL if your counties/homeowners assn. zoning board will allow it.
    Don't forget st trip tickets, federal catch, discard, and economic impact logbooks.

Good Luck!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.