Jack plates and trim tabs

I recently got a great deal on an older Dolphin Back Country 16. I am in the process of "tricking it out" so to speak. I put a riptide 80 i-pilot on it last week. I love playing with that, but now I am wanting to squeeze some running depth out of the boat. I presently have smart tabs and a manual jack plate on it, with a three blade prop. It gets out of the hole rather fast, but I know it can get out a good bit faster and probably run a few inches shallower with the addition of a hydraulic jack plate and some electronic trim tabs. I also know a four blade prop will help me get out of the hole faster....will be getting one of those too.

What would be the optimal setback on a hydraulic jack plate along with what are some of the better jack plates for my particular hull? I have pretty much decided on lenco trim tabs, but are there better ones out there? All responses from those who know about this stuff would be greatly appreciated. Most of my experience is in offshore boating and fishing and this shallow water stuff is new to me, used to inshore fish alot, but that was well over 30 years ago and I used a wooden skiff with a tiller outboard. My how times have changed...thanks in advance.

Replies

• edczachor36edczachor36 Posts: 219 Officer
    I have a Bob's Machine jack plate and Bennett tabs on my ActionCraft 1890 and both have been extremely reliable. I have been able to get into and out of some really skinny water with my setup. It takes a little time to learn your settings for holeshots. You have to be conscience of you weight that day, livewells, tackle-who is on boat and where. And your changing fuel weight, that's a biggie. We practiced with various weight loads in about two feet of water and would watch for squat similar to drag cars. We would move the plate and tabs to avoid washout and minimal squat, but it's something we pay attention to. Call Bob's for picking the correct plate. Good luck.