Home Tropics

Short Term Island Prep 2014/15

Replies

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Fishing 42 on Friday... Making ready with my stuff to fish the 65. I guess its ok since hes been posting about it to do the same. yes we are fishing the Smackdown and yes we are fishing Guy Harvey one up at OBB the next week. From there take it to yard for fresh bottom and make ready for BBC...
    Looks like I added yet another ride to the stack. Buddy from Jersey has friend who bought a 55 Viking on the west coast of Florida and keeping here til late spring. They asked me for some local help for maiden voyage today. Long story short, we wrecked sails and dolphin. Owner impressed and now islands on radar for him.

Also represents potential ride for summer up north. If that pans out I guess I'm just gonna write off the 61 thats still for sale and not paying my bills...
    Fished yesterday on 42 and planning a late April run to Chub... Today was back on the 55 and that looks like another Chub run in late March...
    55 has some really "creative" plumbing thats an issue so it has to be swapped out before we go. Slick ride though... It got pretty "brisk" out there today and she ate the big stuff up,,, More important is that the owner is not some "fair weather" sailor...
    More fishing on 55 Vike... Picking steady... Tomorrow is plumbing...
    This guy not dragging his heels... Locked down dates for a week at Chub. I get back from running the 65 Bert. Local on 42 and 55 a few days. Go do the Chub thing. Back for more local then 42 going to Chub. Get back from that and do couple of Skips tournaments and the BBC.
    After that is up in air but looking like I will do mako tourneys right after BBC and possibly run this 55 up north for the summer...
    55 moving forward quick. Fished today, now replacing salon furniture to new that we can store island supplies. He wants to try some of everything so its scramble time. 4 light spins, 4 heavy spins, 4 spectra loaded jigging sticks, 4 x spectra backed 30's, 4 x spectra backed 50s, 3 x spectra backed 80s... Handed him a long list of other end tackle and green light given. So 2 dozen rigger rigs for each side, 2 dozen left flat and a dozen secret right flat baits on the way. I have enough built up but he wants his own so who am I to argue. He wants to see my personal big stuff on insides then build a set when we get back.
    Monday is 42 local again. Then down to 65. One day walk through, one day fish and make lists for that one. Return in couple days to take to Bimini for Smackdown and then to Guy Harvey's one in west end. Gonna be a bit squished on that run with bottom job stuff aboard. We stop in Miami on way back for that.
    Run back up here, collect 42 for quicke back over to West End then jump back on 55 for that Chub run. I love finally being busy again!
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    Help you forget about pigzilla and getting stalked by a kitty.
    Actually turns up the heat... Need to bring a piggie over to Chub... On the subject of "kitty" I guess I'm a ***** magnet... :)
    Weed lone in 680 coughed up a blue one about 200lbs today. Didn't stay stick very long but good to see one this side. First I have seen off Palm Beach in quite a while. We saw a couple this summer on the 61 but that was up deep off Stuart... Owner of 42 wants to cry that I'm going to be gone on the 65 for a couple weeks. He really enjoyed today and wanted to head right back out. Tomorrow I shoot down to Marathon and get the 65 prepped. Either back late tomorrow or come back day after. Friday I will be making some lures. Saturday is back on the 55 local. They should have my requested tackle gathered up and with luck Sunday will give me a window to rig that up. Depending on crossing day I may get one more shot with the 42 on Monday then dash back down to Marathon for Tuesday or wednesday cross.
    Thursday is Capts. Meeting for Smackdown. Seems that he is having some issues pulling together more than a few boats... I hope that improves. I'm doing my part by attending... Lets hope the bite is good.
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    Hug the beach. It was honkin' 20 out of the NNW in Ft. Pierce today! Had a long run on the mullet skiff we use to net fish and I think I need a chiropractor.
    Schedule tightened all the way up... Day after last trip I was in Keys getting big boat dialed in and rigged out. Made lists for owner and staff to fill. Back up here to make stuff, rig stuff and fill in the missing links...
    55 next two days. Island rig after fishing tomorrow. Fish Sunday and hit the road back to Marathon and the big boat for a first light departure Monday. 42 owner wanted me for Monday and 55 Owner again for Tuesday but there is only one of me. Simple solution would be to hire me full time. I like all three guys and it would be a first come first serve on that after Abaco run is done.
    Big boat owner wants to scout and experiment with spreads on Tuesday. Maybe I'll go bonefish Wednesday. Tourney meeting is Thursday with fishing Friday and Saturday... When weather breaks move to West End for next one...
    Nothing but silk sharks and a jack today... Finishing touches on few things. Fish tomorrow then bolt to the Keys to finish loading...
  • MikeOMikeO Posts: 112 Deckhand
    We are bringing our boats to Bimini for a few weeks at the start of next week so will miss the tourney. We are normally stuck in Nassau when the comp is on but now we miss it by a few days!
    I think we will be there til Monday or so before moving on...
    Some of these posts are directed at being "ready". Wahoo fishing is something I don't do a lot of but we are racing through rigs far faster than anticipated. The cudas yesterday along with a few wahoos brutalized our gear but good. Today was get organized day. Got the boat really detailed. Did a mountain of laundry. Played with the engines. Then I had to basically redo every one of my bait rigs and reskirt some of the plastic. We had a couple of those cable rigged leads some how start to come apart. No longer usable for trolling but will I guess find a job on the bottom at some other point...
    Reloaded with fresh rigs. The 42 had its oil and fluids changed along with an aftercooler boiling while I was gone. Plan was to go east today in the nice but boss/ guest schedules wouldn't allow... Gonna try tomorrow but may just wind up staying thos side because they gotta be back Sunday afternoon..
    42 trip was just this side. Switched gears to the 55 to make ready for Chub... They want their own set of "stuff". Thats a lot of work just on the rigging end!
    We're gonna be there on peak moon so it should be wide open insane bite. Will be six days of fishing. Even though rigs can be reused the cudas and hoos cut some of em up and the dolphin and billfish destroy a lot of the acrylic heads. Even with the re rigging figure on four rigs per position per day. 24 rigs per position times 4 positions. Thats 96 rigs just for the bait positions. The big lures don't see as much action but still three back ups for each position is safe. Then we get to the bottom stuff. 2 dozen bucktails, 3 dozen hi low rigs, 2 more dozen butterfly jigs... Add in a yellowtail set which for six guys and two chub blocks worth is still a lot.
    This is their first run at it so even that has to be spelled out. 3 pounds each of a couple kinds of cold cuts, 72 slices of cheese at minimum, PBJ, 12 loaves bread, mustard, mayo... Conch salad and sushi fixins... Figure 24 soft drinks per man. Thats a gross... Beer? Booze? I'll piece together a small pharmacy to cover aches and pains and cuts and gut ailments.
    Got them their customs decal for the boat and will be handling all that paperwork just to keep that end smooth. Much to do so not fishing doesn't mean not busy...
    Took 55 on test troll to see whats what for speed and sweet spots... Got an idea of what will drag and wont. Spanking a few fish along the way didn't hurt either. We boxed some dolphin and two sails anxious to play shows me that this boat might be a good fish raiser...
    Not sure how it happens. But it does. Routine inspection of 42 today. Do once or twice a week and maybe two or three things found in last 10 months. Today I walked on and all good. Then went inside. Dehumidifier not running? No power on one side. Go back outside and one of the power cords has pulled out of the socket. Go to plug back in but wont reach?
    Were about 2 feet farther forward in slip than usual. Dock lines had been moved around? Tape on them shows they were where they should be but they weren't. I just don't get it...
    Becoming clear that I really need to do all of everything that needs doing myself. Stuff we need not even ordered yet? No biggie. Most of the years I have done Chub runs I just do it all myself any way. At least it gets done right. Advance knowledge of stuff like this comes in handy. I have enough stuff pre rigged and set aside to do a couple months there. I'll just pull from my own stock and they can replenish what I'm providing... Last minute is no time to be doing all the chores and stocking and stowing.
    45 years of Chub this week!... Like fishing it as much now as I did then...
    chub1.jpg
    Reservations made... Stopping at BBGC on way over. Wow! did their room rates go up!!! Happy to get through to Chub and seamless booking there first time. In the past that has been something tough to do...
    Went to print customs forms. Site I usually use was showing virused each time I tried to use. Tried going to the .gov forms page but they just didn't want to print right. Finally went to... http://www.bahamas.com/sites/default/files/Bahamas_Custom_Clearance.pdf and was able to get the right forms. Not interactive like the one I was using but got the job done.
    Ordered ballyhoos. Will be getting squid and shrimp and chum and stuff later. I have a mountain of macks. Sometimes I like em and other times I just like others but I think I'm gonna go back and rig a pile of em for this run. That and use the questionable ones that didn't process so well as bottom baits and strips for our jigs.
    The full timer on the 55 got called away last night to go out of state for a family emergency. Tons of boat projects left undone that I now have to take charge of in addition to all the chub prep that needs doing. In among all this the owner wants to fish saturday. We have an icemaker, a fridge/ freezer combo, a bilge pump, a live well pump and a drain manifold all out of the boat and he gets here at noon tomorrow. The fridge/ freeze weighs 200 pounds so thats a 4 man job just to get aboard...
    Tackle for rigging my buddy was supposed to get three weeks ago doesn't get here til tuesday? Glad I didn't wait and glad I had on hand to cover. How was he expecting to do a hundred trolling rigs and another 100 bottom rigs un two day along with all the other stuff that needs doing. F it... Want it done? Do it yourself...
  • BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 186 Deckhand
    Looking forward to reading some fishing reports out of chub. Good luck over there!
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
    I had the good sense to do tackle and stuff I can do alone last night so it was done. All the above got done with just seconds to spare before owner and wife boarded. Man it was a go go go thing and couldn't have gone smoother. It helps when you have the right help. Not a second wasted by these guys. Not a dropped screw, right tool in hand. 4 man lift became two man to gunwale then I became that second man for the rest of the trip into its slot. I do love smooth!
    Got owner settled in then gave privacy and still going at lightning speed. Picked up freezer. Picked up stuff ordered at West. Pulling out my pre tied bottom rigs cause I doubt highly my bud is gonna have time when he gets back. Making up food shopping lists tonight.
    Will pick up #64 rubber bands for the tag lines that I installed also in the night. Rigging a dozen macks now that I have a freezer to transfer them to. Not sure when bait is supposed to come but we double ordered and my stuff is here
  • youngeryounger Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    9 pages over 5 1/2 months about getting ready to go 60 miles to an island for the weekend. Lol.
    Brian Young, Realtor
    Five Star Realty of Charlotte County Inc., Broker
    [email protected]
    www.fivestarrealty.com
    941-769-3803
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,743 Admiral
    younger wrote: »
    9 pages over 5 1/2 months about getting ready to go 60 miles to an island for the weekend. Lol.

Nice contribution. :blowkiss:rolleyes
  • mfieldvimfieldvi Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    If you don't enjoy it, don't read it. Personally I've been going over since 1977. Reading Paul's posts is often amusing, sometimes informative and always evokes a little nostalgia.
  • Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 304 Deckhand
    younger wrote: »

I enjoy this thread also, but this comment was funny.
    Well I guess mr. Younger failed to see the other six or seven threads that branched off this one for each trip we have taken during these short term preps... Shame, he missed out on several tuna beat downs and obscene stacks of wahoo. Along that way he missed a few billfish and slob dolphin too...
    Sorry its not the Bahamathon or Chubathon threads but these have all been short ones being usually a week or so long. Prep for them is just as important as it is for the long trips. Just different.
    9 pages and one dig from someone stuck in Jersey snow and gloom. I guess I can live with it. Todays topic was gonna be "Wheels". You know those metal things that go round and round to push your boat. Bringing a spare set? I flip flop on this topic. While I believe in being prepared, the best prevention from banging a wheel is knowing where you are going . This run is a regular one I make and don't know that shoving 300 pounds of nibral art back in a weight sensitive hold is necessary. Mirage, the 43 Viking was real weight sensitive and bringing them not only changed how the boat ran but burned more fuel. This boat I just don't know that well. What I do know is that we have had ongoing issues below deck aft with plumbing, pumps, etc and these wheels would be very much in the way if we have to access that area.
    I mentioned above that knowing where you are is best prevention. Is it flawless? No. I have had a blade just shear off. I've had shafts shear in which case just a spare wheel isn't gonna help. I've even had the shackle break on the anchor in the pulpit and drop it so I could cleanly smack it at 25 knots... So while the wheels have not been stowed for this trip, I don't know if its gonna stay that way...
  • youngeryounger Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Compleat wrote: »
    Well I guess mr. Younger failed to see the other six or seven threads that branched off this one for each trip we have taken during these short term preps... Shame, he missed out on several tuna beat downs and obscene stacks of wahoo. Along that way he missed a few billfish and slob dolphin too...
    Sorry its not the Bahamathon or Chubathon threads but these have all been short ones being usually a week or so long. Prep for them is just as important as it is for the long trips. Just different.
    9 pages and one dig from someone stuck in Jersey snow and gloom. I guess I can live with it. Todays topic was gonna be "Wheels". You know those metal things that go round and round to push your boat. Bringing a spare set? I flip flop on this topic. While I believe in being prepared, the best prevention from banging a wheel is knowing where you are going . This run is a regular one I make and don't know that shoving 300 pounds of nibral art back in a weight sensitive hold is necessary. Mirage, the 43 Viking was real weight sensitive and bringing them not only changed how the boat ran but burned more fuel. This boat I just don't know that well. What I do know is that we have had ongoing issues below deck aft with plumbing, pumps, etc and these wheels would be very much in the way if we have to access that area.
    I mentioned above that knowing where you are is best prevention. Is it flawless? No. I have had a blade just shear off. I've had shafts shear in which case just a spare wheel isn't gonna help. I've even had the shackle break on the anchor in the pulpit and drop it so I could cleanly smack it at 25 knots... So while the wheels have not been stowed for this trip, I don't know if its gonna stay that way...

Not in Jersey anymore, cashed out of everything and raising first class Thoroughbreds here in the heartland of FL. Even get to fish a few days a week. Prep consists of pulling my Pathfinder out of the shop and heading to the ramp. All my gear is perfect so not much else to "prep".
    Brian Young, Realtor
    Five Star Realty of Charlotte County Inc., Broker
    [email protected]
    www.fivestarrealty.com
    941-769-3803