Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Central FL lakes and ponds

Bass Hunter 85Bass Hunter 85 Junior MemberOrlando, FLPosts: 22 Greenhorn
So does anyone recommend any lakes or ponds out there in the Central FL area, preferably around Geneeva and Chuluota?
A bad day of fishing is still a good day.

Replies

• GrillaGGrillaG Senior Member Vero BeachPosts: 1,260 Officer
    Okeechobee, Kissimmee, St. Johns river
  • BD27BD27 Senior Member Tarpon Springs / Crystal Rivers/ Fl KeysPosts: 1,179 Officer
    GrillaG wrote: »
    Okeechobee, Kissimmee, St. Johns river

You forgot Rodman , George and Rousso
  • red owlred owl Senior Member Posts: 716 Officer
    Small private ponds would be great if you can get permission to fish them. Other than that, I'd just stick with the St. John's- miles and miles of nooks and crannies.
  • JettyparkJettypark Senior Member Central FlPosts: 1,972 Captain
    if you are fishing from shore..... do a lot of scouting.. Google earth or Bing maps is your best bet at finding lakes/ponds in your
    area.. I live over in the Casselberry area and I'm always finding new areas to hit..... a good thing to also hit are any water around
    the roads over there.... the only bad thing about your area is that a lot of it is fence in...... make sure to look for signs before you
    try any area (No fishing signs).... or you can always do what we do... Fish it at nite...

another area that holds a lot of nice bass are Golf courses..... but most will run you off... again hit them at nite..
    and if you are going to fish at nite.... try to do it with a friend... incase something happens..

Bug spray will be your best friend..... Good luck:wink
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • LilJimLilJim Senior Member TitusvillePosts: 255 Deckhand
    Jettypark wrote: »
    if you are fishing from shore..... do a lot of scouting.. Google earth or Bing maps is your best bet at finding lakes/ponds in your
    area.. I live over in the Casselberry area and I'm always finding new areas to hit..... a good thing to also hit are any water around
    the roads over there.... the only bad thing about your area is that a lot of it is fence in...... make sure to look for signs before you
    try any area (No fishing signs).... or you can always do what we do... Fish it at nite...

another area that holds a lot of nice bass are Golf courses..... but most will run you off... again hit them at nite..
    and if you are going to fish at nite.... try to do it with a friend... incase something happens..

Bug spray will be your best friend..... Good luck:wink

I couldn't agree more with what jetty said.

Golf course and small residential ponds are your friends. Drive to them at night, take a head lamp and bug spray and throw topwater lures. Don't fret about cops or anything like that, as long as there isn't any signs the worst they can tell you is to leave. I've been stopped by cops and they just wanted to see if I was catching. Show 'em a couple of pictures and you're good to go.

I've had 11 fish over 8 pounds this year alone doing this. Just got one on video this past weekend in a residential pond in my neighborhood that I always see people fishing in, but they are usually just using wigglers. Those ponds are your friends, no-one knows how to target the big boys on those ponds. :rotflmao
  • roachbusterroachbuster Senior Member Posts: 553 Officer
    Whats your go to lure on retention ponds..i like the ol speed worm.,i can dead stick it or use it as a swim bait or fish it topwater...one pack stuck in my back pocket covers most of the water column
  • Bass Hunter 85Bass Hunter 85 Junior Member Orlando, FLPosts: 22 Greenhorn
    I use the top water frog from BOOYAH. Never fails. Great for dense weeds and lily pads.
  • JettyparkJettypark Senior Member Central FlPosts: 1,972 Captain
    different lures for different areas.... if you don't have backup plans, then more then likely you are doomed to fail...
    I start out with worms close to the shoreline and watch what the bass are telling me... if they are busting the topwater than I go to
    a topwater bait or a slow sinking worm and see what happens... if they are busting the shoreline and blowing everything up than I go
    to the frog and fish it hard.... but YOU have to also be able to see what's going on around you... I have seen crawdads moving around
    the shore line.... I quickly change to a brown color soft bait and BAM it was on.... I notice frogs jumping around and I change over to the
    frog.... but always go with some type of mindset .....

I carry three rods with different lures and work an area with each one..... when you try to FORCE them to eat something they aren't
    after... You are more likely to fail... I change out lures a lot during the nite and once I get the small ones to hit and know they are in
    the mood.... I fall back to my old motto> GO BIG OR GO HOME :grin i'm not out there to load up on small bass
    and i'm okay without catching anything... but the ones I do catch...OH SON!!!!! :wink

My friends can't understand me....but they are only there to catch fish...i'm there to catch a lifetime bass...:cool
    I also have the same mindset when it comes to saltwater.... don't get me wrong I love having fun with the little
    guys.... but i'm there for their Mom...:hail:hail:hail

WHOO HOO> Go BIG or go HOME....that's my motto...
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • Bass Hunter 85Bass Hunter 85 Junior Member Orlando, FLPosts: 22 Greenhorn
    Jettypark wrote: »
    different lures for different areas.... if you don't have backup plans, then more then likely you are doomed to fail...
    I start out with worms close to the shoreline and watch what the bass are telling me... if they are busting the topwater than I go to
    a topwater bait or a slow sinking worm and see what happens... if they are busting the shoreline and blowing everything up than I go
    to the frog and fish it hard.... but YOU have to also be able to see what's going on around you... I have seen crawdads moving around
    the shore line.... I quickly change to a brown color soft bait and BAM it was on.... I notice frogs jumping around and I change over to the
    frog.... but always go with some type of mindset .....

I carry three rods with different lures and work an area with each one..... when you try to FORCE them to eat something they aren't
    after... You are more likely to fail... I change out lures a lot during the nite and once I get the small ones to hit and know they are in
    the mood.... I fall back to my old motto> GO BIG OR GO HOME :grin i'm not out there to load up on small bass
    and i'm okay without catching anything... but the ones I do catch...OH SON!!!!! :wink

My friends can't understand me....but they are only there to catch fish...i'm there to catch a lifetime bass...:cool
    I also have the same mindset when it comes to saltwater.... don't get me wrong I love having fun with the little
    guys.... but i'm there for their Mom...:hail:hail:hail

WHOO HOO> Go BIG or go HOME....that's my motto...

LOL PREACH IT BROTHA! PREACH!