Home Politics

Jesus Debunked

1262728293032»

Replies

• FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    One out of context sentence & DC thinks he's got a lock. You can't make this stuff up.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
    ― Bertrand Russell
    David C. wrote: »
    Oh, by the way, here is a quote;

P.S. “I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.” Bertrand Russell

Oh how confident he was in his own opinion!
    I can't make this stuff up....

Read the entire link of quotes & get some idea of his opinion before trying to speculate about "how confident he was". Pretty sure he didn't see any "good evidence" for your ghosts & magic myth.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/17854.Bertrand_Russell
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    "There are causes worth dying for, but none worth killing for.” - Camus
  • Holmes BeachHolmes Beach Posts: 969 Officer
    greggl wrote: »

Amen
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    Seriously, can religion go to another thread? Pretty please?

We could actually stop all the religion threads if someone would just post up all this "evidence" they claim to have.

Or of course they could just pray they stop.....
    I'd be happy if a cultist "would just post up" a single shred of "good evidence" for any garden variety ghost or magic.
    We could actually stop all the religion threads if someone would just post up all this "evidence" they claim to have.

Change a spoonful of water into wine & I'll be willing to accept it on faith that you can change Lake Superior to wine.

Let me casually chat (2 way conversation) with any ghost of a deceased person I knew & I'll be willing to accept it on faith that there must be a king of all ghosts.

Simple as that.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral

If an intruder breaks into your home, and is attempting to **** your daughter in her own bed, is preventing that a cause "worth killing for?"

Was stopping ****/ Mussolini/ Hirohito a "cause worth killing for?"

What about stopping the old Ottoman Conquest?

What about stopping the new Ottoman Conquest?

Is there not a cause worth killing for?
    If an intruder breaks into your home, and is attempting to **** your daughter in her own bed, is preventing that a cause "worth killing for?"

Was stopping ****/ Mussolini/ Hirohito a "cause worth killing for?"

What about stopping the old Ottoman Conquest?

Read Camus.
    My answers would sound absurd.
    Reminds me of hawkish people bashing antiwar demonstrators during Vietnam War.

Pro-war folks were so sure PeaceNiks were just afraid to die for Uncle Sam & whatever rationalization there was for Carpet Bombing a people that were lucky to get a bowl of rice. Personally my objection was at being compelled to go kill foreign strangers for dubious reasons.

The ghosts & magic myth being DEBUNKED here charges its faithful to stone people to death for a litany of ridiculous breaches of conformity, that have nothing whatsoever to do with responding to life threatening physical assaults.

• Is there not a cause worth killing for?

Not to a Christian. You should read up on them and what that Jesus guy said.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Isn't this the rationale used by the terrorists?

Don't they think they're all "about stopping" Bush's Crusade Against Islam & protecting their culture from the invading influence of the infidels? You know, Christian's goal for world domination, by insisting everybody else's ghosts & magic myths aren't worth crap.
    Thou Shall Not Kill - anything ambiguous about that?

Or is there a section of mumbo-jumbo fine print that licenses the faithful to play Rambo?
    Don't they think they're all "about stopping" Bush's Crusade Against Islam & protecting their culture from the invading influence of the infidels? You know, Christian's goal for world domination, by insisting everybody else's ghosts & magic myths aren't worth crap.

I get you're beholden to moral equivalency when it suits you, but if Christian's efforts at "world domination" are by insisting everybody else's ghosts & magic myths aren't worth crap," there's really nothing to lose your head over (figuratively and literally.). But the question is moot in that there is nothing in Christian doctrine that demands "world domination." Unlike the "other guys."
    Thou Shall Not Kill - anything ambiguous about that?
    Or is there a section of mumbo-jumbo fine print that licenses the faithful to play Rambo?

You're all out of context concerning both parts. But you know that.
    Not to a Christian. You should read up on them and what that Jesus guy said.

Why don't you tell me- In His own words?
    Just answer the questions instead of trying to evade them with more mumbo-jumbo about "moral equivalency" & appealing to a Red Herring "out of context". Bible has people getting stoned to death for stupid things.

Didn't mention any "demands" - consider it more like an obsessive wish.

• Why don't you tell me- In His own words?

We don't know what his own words were, since there is no eyewitness account or transcription of them.

We do know that he taught people not to kill each other, for any reason and that it was better to let someone take your life rather than to take theirs, something he scolded his followers about on occasion.

This is theme of refusing to engage in violence to others is a central theme to Christianity although not to whatever it is you practice or think you are.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,813 AG
    Why don't you tell me- In His own words?
    Impossible, no one can do that.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
    PP has convinced himself that he does "know".
    We don't know what his own words were, since there is no eyewitness account or transcription of them.

Of course he also thinks he knows what other contributor's "words were" better than they know themselves. Even those words that appear here in B&W for everyone else to read.
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    Maybe Catch could've learned something from Oscar Wilde's play 'The Importance of Being Earnest'?

Although married & having 2 kids, Wilde had a gay relationship with the son of a vengeful man, who made the affair public, persecuted Wilde & caused him to be arrested & imprisoned.

Average life expectancy in Ireland was scarcely more than 40 years at that time.

I'd guess Oscar Wilde was a genuine Oxford educated intellectual & no doubt found more light than the typical internet fishing forum fundamentalist ever even dreamed of.

Well I don't know if he found the light, looks like he found the frank and beans though...:grin, You like that to right....
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
    Who would Jesus kill?
    Smart money says anybody with a degree from Oxford found more light than you.
    Catch 22 wrote: »
    Well I don't know if he found the light, looks like he found the frank and beans though...:grin, You like that to right....

The ghosts & magic myth "You like" so much has always been obsessed with "the frank and beans".

We do know that he taught people not to kill each other, for any reason and that it was better to let someone take your life rather than to take theirs, something he scolded his followers about on occasion.

This is theme of refusing to engage in violence to others is a central theme to Christianity although not to whatever it is you practice or think you are.

If you"know" what He taught, then you know His own words.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Of course He did not advocate violence, but also understood basic rights of self defense. He did oppose self defense when it came to persecution for the gospel's sake, best as I can tell. He was the guy that braided a bullwhip, and used it on some folk, though.

I appreciate that in my religion there seems to be some latitude afforded to the individual conscience when it comes to many subjects.
  • If you"know" what He taught, then you know His own words.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Of course He did not advocate violence, but also understood basic rights of self defense. He did oppose self defense when it came to persecution for the gospel's sake, best as I can tell. He was the guy that braided a bullwhip, and used it on some folk, though.

I appreciate that in my religion there seems to be some latitude afforded to the individual conscience when it comes to many subjects.

We don't know who wrote that. We know that it was not Luke. There are many versions of that passage qualifying it only as an interpretation, and disqualifying it as a direct quote.

What we do know is that He never advocated killing anyone for any cause or reason . Your "religion" perverts that through interpretation to conform with your personal philosophy, which is not representative of Christ's nor that of Christianity.

The sword is not a literal sword but a metaphor, BTW.

• MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,957 Captain

Then we really can't know if there actually was an "official hand off " to Peter. :huh
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,957 Captain
    Response to OP............

Tacitus says no "debunking" Jesus..........
  • MACD wrote: »
    Then we really can't know if there actually was an "official hand off " to Peter. :huh

We know that that's the story. We don't know exactly what He said when He said it. The gospels are chronicles, reflecting four separate and often conflicting points of view, not transcriptions.