Home Politics

Jesus Debunked

12627283032

Replies

  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    cadman wrote: »

    Have you read the Bible, the Koran. and the Book of Mormon. If not how can you decide the bible is the only true document. Maybe the latter writings are continuation of God's word?

    I have read the Bible cover to cover. I did so because I wanted to learn what was actually in it in it's entirety rather than have people pick and choose verses to suit their needs, or to make their points. I started reading it in 1994 and finished in 2010. It took that long because I really took my time, picked it to bits piece by piece, and made plenty of notes.

    I have not read the Koran or the book of Mormon. If you notice, I have not said anything to discredit either book.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,369 AG
    David C. wrote: »
    I have not read the Koran or the book of Mormon. If you notice, I have not said anything to discredit either book.

    You should read them, they might modify your beliefs.

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    cadman wrote: »
    It won't do you any good to believe just because a lot of others believe or you just want to play it safe just in case.

    By the same token, it's not doing you a whole lot of good to NOT believe just because you have a relatively closed mind, and are unwilling to investigate your lack of faith for whatever reason. Scroll down a bit and check out this pie chart;

    http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/iii-background-and-context/3-current-discrimination-trends

    Identifying yourself as "Non-Religious" (in other words "atheist") puts you in the 0.7% in the world population. That's HALF of the 1.4% identifying themselves with "witchcraft". (Just saying..)
  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    cadman wrote: »
    You should read them, they might modify your beliefs.
    Because I have an open mind, and because I have a desire to learn, I might just do that. Not that it would change my faith, but because I will probably learn a lot, and it would give me insight that I did not have.

    By the way, have you read the Bible?
  • Luke 1:26-38, the condensed version.

    26 Spring is in the air and God has an idea and sends Gabriel out to find Him a date.

    27 After some hunting around, Gabriel locates Mary who despite being married shows no interest in having kids or sex.

    28 Gabriel shows up at her house and Says “Hail, Mary (that’s where that comes from) my Boss digs you, and wants to get together, and He don’t say that to just anybody.

    29 This scared the bejesus out of Mary and she asked what the hell that was supposed to mean.

    30 Gabriel says, "It’s cool, He’s been admiring you from afar."

    31 "Here’s the deal; you are going to get pregnant and have a Kid who you will call Jesus!" (maybe because she was so scared )

    32 "He is going to be cool and a genuinely nice guy. People are going to dig him. Well, most anyway."

    33 "In fact, He is going to be kind of a king in perpetuity.

    34 Mary then says, "Um OK. How is this all going to take place? Joseph hasn’t even gotten to third base!"

    35 Gabriel then tells her, “You will be visited by three spirits. Expect the first when the clock strikes twelve!” Oops, wrong story. “The Holy Ghost, (who is really the Boss :wink ) is going to appear and you are going to be very impressed! Then you’ll have His Kid."

    36 "Oh and cousin Betty ? We have a surprise in store for her too!"

    37 "He’s pretty clever."

    38 So Mary said, "OK , if you say so, I guess I’m good with it."
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    David if you think you will change any of their opinions its just not going to happen brother. As Christians we are to plant the seed and defend our faith. Its not our responsibility to convert them. Matthew 13:3 through 13:9
    Many will reject God we know this, its no surprise.
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,369 AG
    David C. wrote: »
    By the same token, it's not doing you a whole lot of good to NOT believe just because you have a relatively closed mind, and are unwilling to investigate your lack of faith for whatever reason. Scroll down a bit and check out this pie chart;

    http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/iii-background-and-context/3-current-discrimination-trends

    Identifying yourself as "Non-Religious" (in other words "atheist") puts you in the 0.7% in the world population. That's HALF of the 1.4% identifying themselves with "witchcraft". (Just saying..)

    Actually, atheist are about 2% of the world's population and non religious is about 16%. Your link is only discussing those who filed complaints with the HRTO.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

    This one puts the number as high as 18%
    http://www.christianpost.com/news/global-poll-most-believe-in-god-afterlife-49994/


    It would do me less good to proclaim a belief that was not true. My mind is not closed. I grew up in a religious home. Both parents were Christians, baptist to be specific. I have read the bible. A nice piece of literature about Judaism and it's teachings. I don't see how I can investigate something that does not exist. That would be like saying I am closed minded if I don't believe the aliens from another galaxy are here on earth. Some people believe that, so I should believe it because they do? Am I closed minded to believe Elvis is dead?

    What does it matter how many people believe something. 48% of people believe UFO's are visiting aliens. 45% believe in ghosts. 25% of people believe the sun goes around the earth.

    A lot of people believe things that are not true. Simply believing something because others do is simple minded.

    It sounds to me like you believe because your parents believed, your friends believe , and it makes you part of the group.

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    Catch 22 wrote: »
    David if you think you will change any of their opinions its just not going to happen brother. As Christians we are to plant the seed and defend our faith. Its not our responsibility to convert them. Matthew 13:3 through 13:9
    Many will reject God we know this, its no surprise.

    It's really not about trying to convert anyone, it's more about a healthy discussion of why certain people believe or don't believe. I have an open mind, and I want to learn anything related to the faith, or anything contradicting the faith. It's a natural curiosity more than anything.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,369 AG
    David C. wrote: »
    Because I have an open mind, and because I have a desire to learn, I might just do that. Not that it would change my faith, but because I will probably learn a lot, and it would give me insight that I did not have.

    By the way, have you read the Bible?

    The part in bold demonstrates you are closed minded. How can you claim to be open minded, yet state that a book you have not read can not change your mind about your faith?

    You are funny. You claim I am closed minded even though I have read the bible and parts of the Koran and the Book of Mormon. I even have weekly conversations with JWs and read the little books they distribute. Some of their stuff is rather neat.

    Yet say you are open minded but reading other religious material can't change your mind.

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,369 AG
    Catch 22 wrote: »
    As Christians we are to plant the seed and defend our faith.

    I have done a better job defending the faith than you have.

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    cadman wrote: »
    Am I closed minded to believe Elvis is dead?

    Just for the sake of argument, did you SEE him in the casket?

    I always did like a good intelligent discussion.
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    David C. wrote: »
    It's really not about trying to convert anyone, it's more about a healthy discussion of why certain people believe or don't believe. I have an open mind, and I want to learn anything related to the faith, or anything contradicting the faith. It's a natural curiosity more than anything.

    You wont find that here brother. Healthy discussion that is. A hand full of these guys aren't interested in anything meaningful they simply want to provoke discord. They get there jollies from seeing who can out insult the next. This forum is there life and that's pretty sad if you ask me. Its little more than entertainment for me. It kills a little time here and there between projects....:wink
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    cadman wrote: »
    I have done a better job defending the faith than you have.

    LOL you cant even defend yourself....:wink
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • Here he is:

    Elvis%20in%20his%20casket.JPG

    And here is how I know he is.

    Autopsy%201.JPG
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    Catch 22 wrote: »
    You wont find that here brother. Healthy discussion that is. A hand full of these guys aren't interested in anything meaningful they simply want to provoke discord. They get there jollies from seeing who can out insult the next. This forum is there life and that's pretty sad if you ask me. Its little more than entertainment for me. It kills a little time here and there between projects....:wink

    IMHO, you should try to lighten up just a notch. You have the ability to debate and you have done an excellent job in my opinion, but you also have let them get to you a bit more than you should have. Remember that you have the truth, and the truth shall set you free. (John 8:32)
  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    Here he is:

    Elvis%20in%20his%20casket.JPG

    And here is how I know he is.

    Autopsy%201.JPG
    OK, but what if this evidence has been tampered with? (IE the shroud of Turin..)
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,369 AG
    Catch 22 wrote: »
    LOL you cant even defend yourself....:wink

    You really are disillusioned.

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    David C. wrote: »
    IMHO, you should try to lighten up just a notch. You have the ability to debate and you have done an excellent job in my opinion, but you also have let them get to you a bit more than you should have. Remember that you have the truth, and the truth shall set you free. (John 8:32)

    Well thank you brother but Its all really laughable to me. I mean these are just a couple of faceless names on an internet forum, when you have the truth as we do its all good. They may think they get to me yet these are the same guys that think the universe created itself out of nothing. Believe me I'm not loosing any sleep. Again this is just a little pastime when I'm idle...:wink
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    David C. wrote: »
    OK, but what if this evidence has been tampered with? (IE the shroud of Turin..)

    C'mon, Gary, you can't tell me that you didn't at least get a chuckle out of that comment. Man, he looks really young there. We watched Blue Hawaii last night, what a great talent he was, both as a singer and actor. The world lost a true American icon when he died.
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    The truth is all religions are based on lies. It's like a bunch of 6 year olds all confirming that there is a Santa.
  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    Catch 22 wrote: »
    Well thank you brother but Its all really laughable to me. I mean these are just a couple of faceless names on an internet forum

    Of course, but it's more important than you might think. if you think about it, we are really dealing with the core issues that have rocked the world as we know it. If only they knew...
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,369 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    I have done a better job defending the faith than you have.

    There were people who said they saw Jesus dead and then later saw him alive.

    There are people today who say they have seen Elvis alive and well after his death. Maybe Elvis was another Messiah?

    My point was people believe a lot of things and you claim I should believe in something just because others do.

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    The truth is all religions are based on lies. It's like a bunch of 6 year olds all confirming that there is a Santa.
    Is that right? OR is it more like the world has some people that are HOPING that there is no God so that they can do whatever they want with no repercussions?
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    David C. wrote: »
    Of course, but it's more important than you might think. if you think about it, we are really dealing with the core issues that have rocked the world as we know it. If only they knew...

    keep up the good work bro...:)
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    cadman wrote: »
    There were people who said they saw Jesus dead and then later saw him alive.

    There are people today who say they have seen Elvis alive and well after his death. Maybe Elvis was another Messiah?

    My point was people believe a lot of things and you claim I should believe in something just because others do.


    http://youtu.be/iMpXAknykeg
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    David C. wrote: »
    Is that right? OR is it more like the world has some people that are HOPING that there is no God so that they can do whatever they want with no repercussions?

    That would be correct David.
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Lemme know if ya need any light ;)
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    David C. wrote: »
    Is that right? OR is it more like the world has some people that are HOPING that there is no God so that they can do whatever they want with no repercussions?
Sign In or Register to comment.