Home Politics

California Becomes First State To Ban Single-Use Plastic Bags

SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown on Tuesday signed legislation imposing the nation's first statewide ban on single-use plastic bags, driven to action by a buildup of litter and damage to aquatic ecosystems.

A national coalition of plastic bag manufacturers immediately said it would seek a voter referendum to repeal the law, which is scheduled to take effect in July 2015.

Under SB270, plastic bags will be phased out of large grocery stores starting next summer and convenience stores and pharmacies in 2016. The law allows grocers to charge a fee of at least 10 cents for using paper bags.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/30/california-plastic-bag-ban_n_5904766.html
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Seems like a outstanding idea to me. Cannot count the number of times I have seen a plastic shopping bag floating in our waterways.

Replies

• mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    Irresponsible people. They must be legislated or fined.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,573 Captain
    mikev wrote: »

No doubt. We need to make sure they behave the way we want them to.
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    FreeLiner wrote: »
    No doubt. We need to make sure they behave the way we want them to.

So you guys are for the environment being polluted? Should be bring back asbestos as well? After all it only kills you if you have to be around it.
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage USA, USA, USAPosts: 13,014 AG
    I thought the bags were made of a starchy material that broke down in a couple of weeks if wet?
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
    So you guys are for the environment being polluted? Should be bring back asbestos as well? After all it only kills you if you have to be around it.

Yeah, that's exactly what we said. :Glass

How about what TS said? Better solution?
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    Yeah, that's exactly what we said. :Glass

How about what TS said? Better solution?

Oh, wait, I'm thinking of paper bags.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    Oh, wait, I'm thinking of paper bags.

SAVE THE TREES!! That's partially how this all got started. :rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »

Isn't it always?

Plastic, made from a resource that takes millions of years to come into being, is not able to be recycled and takes hundreds of years to decompose.

Paper, made from trees that take 30 years to grow, can be recycled over and over again and breaks down into soil that can be used to grow more trees in a couple of weeks.

You got to love it BABY!
  • fishbitfishbit Posts: 608 Officer
    Nature goes on her way, and all that to us seems an exception is really according to order.
    (Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe)
    Honestly, I recycle as much plastic as I can, and I get the intent of the OP. However, what I don't like is forcing that on everyone else. And if they don't play it "your" way, you fine them. Most places that I've been shopping also have paper bags at the ready, and at no charge. And, wouldn't it really better to provide an incentive? For example, bring in your reusable bags, get $1 off or something like that.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    Isn't it always?

Plastic, made from a resource that takes millions of years to come into being, is not able to be recycled and takes hundreds of years to decompose.

Paper, made from trees that take 30 years to grow, can be recycled over and over again and breaks down into soil that can be used to grow more trees in a couple of weeks.

You got to love it BABY!

I have never been a fan of plastic grocery bags. Some store chains have gone back to using paper. I guess we do agree on a few things after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Honestly, I recycle as much plastic as I can, and I get the intent of the OP. However, what I don't like is forcing that on everyone else. And if they don't play it "your" way, you fine them. Most places that I've been shopping also have paper bags at the ready, and at no charge. And, wouldn't it really better to provide an incentive? For example, bring in your reusable bags, get $1 off or something like that.

One way to legislate stupidity. Is being a dumb *** a American right. Seems so.
    Cyclist wrote: »
    One way to legislate stupidity. Is being a dumb *** a American right. Seems so.

Apparently it is in good old California. You'd rather punish than give incentive?
    navigator2 wrote: »

Tree's are renewable, plastic, not so much.
    For example, bring in your reusable bags, get $1 off or something like that.

If they were into incentives, they would give you 3% off for cash.
    If they were into incentives, they would give you 3% off for cash.

Seems to me that it's better than legislation. Pretty smart business model if one were so inclined.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    It's California, they can do as they please. If the citizens don't like it, elect new officials.

Personally, I think many people are too stupid or lazy to recycle.
    Vote for the other candidate
    Apparently it is in good old California. You'd rather punish than give incentive?

Last I checked, we don't give incentives for not murdering people, we give punishments when people do murder folks.
    Seems to me that it's better than legislation. Pretty smart business model if one were so inclined.

I would agree . . it is better than legislation, however it does not seem to be working all that well . . hence the need for legislation.

You are correct, incentive is good.

They tried to charge for bags but there were too many lawsuits. In a way that is an incentive to bring your own bags.
    Last I checked, we don't give incentives for not murdering people, we give punishments when people do murder folks.

You should smack yourself right in the face for your response Even you know better than to equate murder with recycling.
    You should smack yourself right in the face for your response Even you know better than to equate murder with recycling.

SOYLENT GREEN!
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Those plastic bags are a nuisance to recycle and most residential recycling systems are apparently not geared up for them.

The stores force them on you as you are guilted into returning to the store and the 'special bin'.

And they brand the day lights out of the, so that people feel weird carrying them into mismatching stores.

Pretty good scam, overall. Nice spin on the old bottle deposit at lower cost.

BUT, but but we're MURDERING mother earth with these plastic bags!
    greggl wrote: »
    Those plastic bags are a nuisance to recycle and most residential recycling systems are apparently not geared up for them.

The stores force them on you as you are guilted into returning to the store and the 'special bin'.

And they brand the day lights out of the, so that people feel weird carrying them into mismatching stores.

Pretty good scam, overall. Nice spin on the old bottle deposit at lower cost.

I take ALL of my bag like plastics to the publix bins.
    Cyclist wrote: »
    I take ALL of my bag like plastics to the publix bins.

Good on you. But, just for the sake of argument, should it be legislated that you do that? Should you be fined for not doing that?
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Should your municipality have to arrange to clean up and recycling for the bags handed out by a private business which provides little more than low end jobs to the community?

The bags are nuisance advertising that costs us money.
    Good on you. But, just for the sake of argument, should it be legislated that you do that? Should you be fined for not doing that?

Not a good question since a fine would have no bearing on me, but on those who are too lazy to do the right thing. And I would have no problem with that.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,889 Captain
    There is something very special,admirable about the "California Outlook".

Might stem back to the early settlement,a certain stock of folk,certain Pacific influence. (Gold Rush influx notwithstanding.....)

It is a real education to meet Northern Californian Deep Ecologist Deer Hunters,others of California ilk that would amaze most Right Winger Southerners.Proof Positive Californians have learned to keep some of the best attributes to themselves.

Plastic Bags easy- compelling. Past year or so my wife has talked me in to re-use. Wash and dry in a contraption I made to dry baggie.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    The place the wife shops at still gives the option of paper or plastic. We prefer the paper bags. They transport better.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"