Home Politics

No American who works full-time should live in poverty.

Replies

• sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    If I'm not I will eat at home.

As will everyone else who doesn't want to pay 15 bucks for a sub. Then all those happy sandwich artsists will be fired and back on the givt teet.. U get it yet?
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Or that labor will get jobs with less marginal businesses.

Rents will drop, that is for certain.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    walmart, mcdonalds etc RELY ON THEIR EMPLOYEES. Yet don't pay them a living wage. Sure, it's not rocket science they are doing but the mother ship IS COMPLETELY DEPENDENT ON THEM for survival. Seems as if that would matter.

It is a low skill job anyone can flip a burger or drop the fries in the grease. They don't rely on an employee. they rely on their brand and customer willing to eat that crap bc its cheap.
    Most jobs are low skill :)
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Right now I have 2 guys (a gentleman who retired as a school teacher and his nephew who he has raised) working for me part time. I pay them $8.50 an hour for very general labor. They get around 25 hours a week each on average for much of the year. Today they are tearing out some feed bunks I am going to replace next week.

If I were to be forced to pay them more than the $8.50 I would have simply waited until after harvest and had my full timers do the job and not have these guys do the "low skilled" chores that I use them for.

Now you progressives think you are doing them a favor by forcing their wages to be $15 an hour. If successful they would be unemployed but I am sure they would be appreciative of your efforts on their behalf.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    Who is paying for their healthcare after you use them for manual labor?
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    fins4me wrote: »
    Right now I have 2 guys (a gentleman who retired as a school teacher and his nephew who he has raised) working for me part time. I pay them $8.50 an hour for very general labor. They get around 25 hours a week each on average for much of the year. Today they are tearing out some feed bunks I am going to replace next week.

If I were to be forced to pay them more than the $8.50 I would have simply waited until after harvest and had my full timers do the job and not have these guys do the "low skilled" chores that I use them for.

Now you progressives think you are doing them a favor by forcing their wages to be $15 an hour. If successful they would be unemployed but I am sure they would be appreciative of your efforts on their behalf.

Clearly they are just lazy or they would get an education and a real job. So how much government subsidies are they on? Are you withholding from their paychecks or are they 1099 subs with no bennies?
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Has anyone else noticed that this thread has now turned into a minimum wage debate?
    The only people I know who make minimum wage are a couple of teenagers and a few people who have no job skills or to inept to hold down a decent job.
    Now, what about someone making $50K with a wife and a couple of kids?
    greggl wrote: »

Where is it written that you need to pay anyone their "healthcare"?
    sk018 wrote: »
    It is a low skill job anyone can flip a burger or drop the fries in the grease. They don't rely on an employee. they rely on their brand and customer willing to eat that crap bc its cheap.

I'd bet you couldn't hack that low skill job for long at 58 bucks a day. 17 year old with no skills would probably smoke you on the first day.

Not my responsibility...
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    mustang190 wrote: »
    Where is it written that you need to pay anyone their "healthcare"?

Says the guy who is on taxpayer funded healthcare his entire life....

:rotflmao
    We pay for it now.
    Not my responsibility...

You are neither a Sportsman or a Gentleman.
    Clearly they are just lazy or they would get an education and a real job. So how much government subsidies are they on? Are you withholding from their paychecks or are they 1099 subs with no bennies?

One of them is a retired school teacher of 31 years who still wants to work but does not wish to get behind a desk. His nephew is a student at a community college.

General laborers cannot be hired as 1099 workers.
    "Today is MINE"
    Says the guy who is on taxpayer funded healthcare his entire life....

:rotflmao

I am?
    Now, why don't you answer the question?

please expand on your nonsense.
    "Today is MINE"

Why can't a free man negotiate his wage for his labor?
    Bad conservationist.

We established a 'living wage' as like $15k earlier in the thread... will none of you call this guy on him paying half that?
    Bad conservationist.

We established a 'living wage' as like $15k earlier in the thread... will none of you call this guy on him paying half that?

So the best thing for me to do is give them a raise to 15 an hour tomorrow and fire one of them on Friday.
    "Today is MINE"
    So the best thing for me to do is give them a raise to 15 an hour tomorrow and fire one of them on Friday.

For them that would be great they could milk your unemployment insurance for 6 months while doing other jobs under the table. That's what unskilled lazy people do.
    It would be better!

Lets say for the sake of way math that $15 bucks is that living wage.

If half that is coming from a business and the other half from entitlements, it's basically 7.50 being subsidized.

We're looking at close to $15 bucks an hour in subsidies for two unskilled laborers.

Pay one $15 (minimum wage) and no subsidy... $15 to the other as that entitlement.

In the end, the cost of the subsidy is the same with one guy or two.

The 'value' of an hour of employed labor has increased.

Busineeses who cannot afford to pay a living wage will no longer be in business.
    For them that would be great they could milk your unemployment insurance for 6 months while doing other jobs under the table. That's what unskilled lazy people do.

Why are you insulting them?? They are both in their current role by choice. They both understand the purpose of part time work and it fits their needs in different ways. The uncle does not wish to have indoor full time work. He has retired and is simply looking for some supplemental income and enjoys the work. His nephew is in his second year at Northeast State and like his uncle needs part time work.

They are contributors. You seem well versed in the ways of the unemployment system. Probably frequent use has been your instructor.
    "Today is MINE"
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    Not my responsibility...

Of course not, every American that has a job pays for it.
    Vote for the other candidate
    It would be better!

Lets say for the sake of way math that $15 bucks is that living wage.

If half that is coming from a business and the other half from entitlements, it's basically 7.50 being subsidized.

We're looking at close to $15 bucks an hour in subsidies for two unskilled laborers.

Pay one $15 (minimum wage) and no subsidy... $15 to the other as that entitlement.

In the end, the cost of the subsidy is the same with one guy or two.

The 'value' of an hour of employed labor has increased.

Busineeses who cannot afford to pay a living wage will no longer be in business.

Your generalization is idiotic. I pay what the work is worth to me. Not what an idiotic concept of social engineering deems to be a fair sum.
    "Today is MINE"
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    We already have universal healthcare, why not just made it formal and write some rules?
    Vote for the other candidate
    You generalization is idiotic. I pay what the work is worth to me. Not what an idiotic concept of social engineering deems to be a fair sum.

You are shirking your responsibility as an employer.
    You are shirking your responsibility as an employer.

Please show us the rule that states it is the responsibility as an employer to provide healthcare.
    "Today is MINE"
    Why are you insulting them?? They are both in their current role by choice. They both understand the purpose of part time work and it fits their needs in different ways. The uncle does not wish to have indoor full time work. He has retired and is simply looking for some supplemental income and enjoys the work. His nephew is in his second year at Northeast State and like his uncle needs part time work.

They are contributors. You seem well versed in the ways of the unemployment system. Probably frequent use has been your instructor.

Me.... insulting them? I believe it has been established by the brain trust here that anyone that will work for that sort of money isn't all that bright. Fact that one is an x teacher and loves the work ... oh my what are they teachin down there in the hills of Tennessee? Seems your ignorance of the unemployment system throws your role as an employer and their employment under the shadow of possible impropriety...

Just sayin....:rolleyes