Home Politics

No American who works full-time should live in poverty.

Replies

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    No evidence to support that claim. minimum wages have gone up while average wage has gone down.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,369 AG
    snipper wrote: »
    I believe the minimum wage were it created today would have the minimum wage north of $25 an hour based on the original design of minimum wage. I haven't read the 30 pages here, but the argument set up by reps and dems moved the goalpost from north of $25 to $10.10, essentially sticking it to the US poor and middle class. I wonder how long this will last before there's a real revolution in this country. I have nothing against people who make a lot of money, but when the system is designed to keep the poor poor through the judicial, legislative and executive branches of government our grand social experiment isn't really working out all that well.

Then you believe incorrectly. In 1938, when the minimum wage was established it was set at .25c an hour or the equivalent of $4.22 in today dollars. But it did rise under the act until it got to $1.25 and hour in 1963. That is the equivalent of $9.72 an hour in today's dollars. So it did surpass the current minimum wage by 1963 by a couple of dollars.

If the minimum wage in 1938 had been set at the equivalent of $25 back in 1938, it would have been $1.48 or six times what it was.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Ask for raise. Im not the cheap one.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    greggl wrote: »
    We have collusion and wage fixing at the top, lies and misinformation about the true value of advanced degrees with very little accountability, massive and wide-spread wage theft, the H1B visa dilution and outsourcing at play.

Minimum wage increases will help, not hurt.

Low wages are a commodity that attracts investment.
    Isn't that the purpose of immigration?
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    cadman wrote: »
    Then you believe incorrectly. In 1938, when the minimum wage was established it was set at .25c an hour or the equivalent of $4.22 in today dollars. But it did rise under the act until it got to $1.25 and hour in 1963. That is the equivalent of $9.72 an hour in today's dollars. So it did surpass the current minimum wage by 1963 by a couple of dollars.

If the minimum wage in 1938 had been set at the equivalent of $25 back in 1938, it would have been $1.48 or six times what it was.

That "couple of dollars" is killing the middle class.
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Low wages are a commodity that attracts investment.
    Isn't that the purpose of immigration?

Importing a guy and paying 35k to do the same job as an American making 120k is what is happening.

Erroding that 120k wage is the goal.
    Well aren't you just a geographical oddity.

I am actually quite average. You, my friend, are the oddity.

Mini Mart Magnate

That "couple of dollars" is killing the middle class.

That couple of dollars is not the problem with the middle class. MIDDLE CLASS WAGES WILL CONTINUE TO FALL UNLESS WE FIX THE EMPLOYMENT PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY. We have too many workers and not enough jobs. why can't you get that through your head.

Mini Mart Magnate

And he legally choses to pay below poverty wages as denies in this thread.

We have already established that $8.50 an hour is above the poverty level in the U.S. currently.

Mini Mart Magnate

So hows it working out for you? I hear the median income is not doing well.... Vicious rumor?

Raising the minimum wage won't change that. In fact in will drive the median wage lower if unemployment is high.

Mini Mart Magnate

• Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    Raising minimum wage reduces unemployment.

Your race to the bottom mentality is baseless.
    Would you guys be pissed if there was a 'maximum wage'?

Would not effect anyone and you know that. Limiting income to a max by taxation would make a lot of people mad and would never happen, so there isn't any reason to discuss that.

Mini Mart Magnate

No it does not.

From 2007 to 2009 minimum wage increased, unemployment increased 5%

From 1996 to 1997 minimum wage went up and unemployment decreased a half percent.

From 1990 to 1991 minimum wage went up and minimum wage increased 1/10 of a percent.

From 1974 to 1981 minimum wage increased and minimum wage increased 5%.

In the 60s the minimum wage went up and unemployment went down then it went back up during this period

I can not find any correlation between raising the minimum wage and employment increasing. If you can find clear evidence this has happened, please post it or stop with the BS.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104719.html

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm

Mini Mart Magnate

Now let's discuss the median wage compared to unemployment. I will adjust for inflation and can only go back to 1967 since that was the time limit of my source

From 1967 to 1974 unemployment was below 5.5% and the median income grew. In 197 unemployment started increasing and hit 9% in 1982. Median income stagnated and then decreased.

In 1983 unemployment started falling and was back below 5.5% and median income started growing until the early 90 recession when unemployment spiked again and median income fell. During the latter half of the 90s unemployment was low and median income started to grow again. This trend continued until we got to where we are now. The worse the recession, the higher the unemployment the more the median income fell. The lower the unemployment rate, the faster median income increased.

My mentality is backed by facts. My mentality is to raise the median income and pull the middle class out of your minimum income world. If we improve the economy and lower the number of unemployed, minimum wage will not be an issue. The need for workers will increase pay without government force.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104719.html

http://www.davemanuel.com/median-household-income.php

Mini Mart Magnate

• fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Importing a guy and paying 35k to do the same job as an American making 120k is what is happening.

Erroding that 120k wage is the goal.

Sounds as though the professional photoshopper/videogamers have priced themselves out of a job.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    We have collusion and wage fixing at the top, lies and misinformation about the true value of advanced degrees with very little accountability, massive and wide-spread wage theft, the H1B visa dilution and outsourcing at play.

Minimum wage increases will help, not hurt.

That is a problem in your industry. We aren't discussing Greg's problems.

Mini Mart Magnate

• S.S.TupperwareS.S.Tupperware Posts: 1,057 Officer
    Why should there be a minimum (Wage) if you don't have a marketable skill, and that doesn't mean a degree...
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral

Sure, because people making above minimum wage have to get second jobs and their spouses have to go to work in order to afford the increased cost of goods and services.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Sure, because people making above minimum wage have to get second jobs and their spouses have to go to work in order to afford the increased cost of goods and services.

Yep, costs will be passed on to consumer
    Why should there be a minimum (Wage) if you don't have a marketable skill, and that doesn't mean a degree...

There needs to be a minimum wage because some people are dishonest. the question isn't whether there should be a minimum wage, but what it should be. In my opinion, what we should be discussing is the purpose of the minimum wage. Is is intended to insure a person is paid above the national poverty level, which it currently does or is it's intent to provide what proponents call a "living wage". A wage designed to move minimum wage workers into the lower middle class. I do not think that was the intent of the law. The law was meant to keep you out of poverty only. That was the original intent of all of our social legislation, Get Americans out of poverty, not legislate 50% of the work force to the same wage.

Mini Mart Magnate

Minimum wage wasn't intended for people to work at that level forever. People need to improve their own future and stop waiting for the govt to do it for them.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,962 Captain
    One of my observations of this thread , is how many people that associate themselves with
    Christianity,(saying god bless America), are so defiant about raising minmun wage to
    a social liviable standard.
    MACD wrote: »
    One of my observations of this thread , is how many people that associate themselves with
    Christianity,(saying god bless America), are so defiant about raising minmun wage to

What does one have to do with the other?

Could you define a social livable wage for me?

what are the factors that determined what a social livable wage is?

Could you then cross reference this to Jesus' teachings and how they apply to Christianity.

Mini Mart Magnate

If you want higher prices for everything and screwing all consumers, go for it
    FishInFL wrote: »
    If you want higher prices for everything and screwing all consumers, go for it

The cost of fuel just went up again, did minimum wage cause this ?

I'll take that chance of raising minimum wage, I'm not scared of a delusional result of social failure.
    cadman wrote: »
    What does one have to do with the other?

Could you define a social livable wage for me?

Do you really need me to define that for you? Are you
    so overwhelmed with your own obtuse version of reality based on your Convenience Store business model.

Don't even try to talk to me about the originals Christianity.....
    It will 100% happen. If we keep enforcing private companies to pay higher wages, they will just offset it with higher prices to make shareholders or private owners happy.
    FishInFL wrote: »
    It will 100% happen. If we keep enforcing private companies to pay higher wages, they will just offset it with higher prices to make shareholders or private owners happy.

So what , American companies will still have to compete in the Global market as other foreign markets expand.

Subsidizing our low income labor market with an unreal expectation of results is backward thinking.
  • Holmes BeachHolmes Beach Posts: 969 Officer
    Cyclist wrote: »
    ....Congress could do one single thing .......It could double the minimum wage.......unlike anything we have seen since the 1950s.[/url]

Negative Ghostrider.

I did some simple math this morning, and according to my antiquated Texas Instrument, if we just give everyone currently receiving benefits another 250K, then all those 132 million deficient souls can get a beach house and free Starbucks lattee every morning for life.

Why ask congress to help when the Treasury can simply print some more Benjamins for these oppressed souls? Perhaps the USPS can deliver the fresh minted notes for free also....assuming the concrete medians on SW Archer Rd have a mailing address
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Do you really need me to define that for you? Are you
    so overwhelmed with your own obtuse version of reality based on your Convenience Store business model.

Don't even try to talk to me about the originals Christianity.....

What does the association with religion have to do with government legistlation. If you want to make the case of an individual employer and his morals, then go ahead but to tie with a federal mandate is idiotic.