Home Politics

No American who works full-time should live in poverty.

CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
No American who works full-time should live in poverty.

Congress could do one single thing that would have a greater positive impact on our economy, than any other. It could double the minimum wage and link it to the cost of living. The result would be an economic boom unlike anything we have seen since the 1950s.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/02/1318650/-Double-the-Minimum-Wage-and-set-off-an-Economic-Boom

Replies

• SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    Yup, but it may cut a penny from their corporate profit, so why would any company do what's right for America?
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Cyclist wrote: »
    www.dailykos.com

:Spittingcoffee
    :Spittingcoffee

Do you disagree with the idea or the source?

10644799_761286003939166_7005931909263172097_n.jpg?oh=64b1922755d7c99c84e9884e5ada3069&oe=54BC4D85&__gda__=1422698931_6f3d8750e5c5310554898d0a5181f901
  • guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,247 Captain
    DAILYKOS....?????!!!!!!
    That's all you got for looney troll pieces???!!!
    C'mon... You can do better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,573 Captain
    So all full time jobs should be considered careers?
    FreeLiner wrote: »
    So all full time jobs should be considered careers?

Not necessarily, but you should be able to provide for yourself at the very least, without burdening the tax payer.
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,813 AG
    Double the min wage, all other wages will increase. Prices follow suit - nothing changes.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,573 Captain
    Not necessarily, but you should be able to provide for yourself at the very least, without burdening the tax payer.

Thats cool with me. Are you cool with paying $15 for a sub?
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    In 1914, Henry Ford decided to pay the workers on his assembly line $5.00 a day. That was considered radical. It was, by far, the most money ever paid to industrial workers up to that time. In today's money it amounts to $114.00 per day, or about $30,000 annually. Nearly 100 years ago Ford was paying almost twice in real dollars than America's largest employer, and one of the most profitable companies in the history of the world, is paying its workers today.
    Henry Ford was very clever. He said he wanted his employees to be able to buy his cars, so he paid them enough so they could buy his cars, and they did
    In fact, the American taxpayer is subsidizing these enormously profitable corporations through the food stamp, Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC), and other aid programs these employees qualify for because they are being paid so little. In 2004, a study published by the University of California-Berkeley Labor Center found that Walmart employees in California were receiving $86 million in public assistance. A documentary also was made, based on the study. Walmart attempted to refute the study by arguing that the reliance on public assistance by their workers was not substantially different from that of the employees of their competitors. Of course, their market dominance almost certainly has had a deflationary effect on wages throughout their industry as many competitors keep prices and wages low in order to compete.
    Subsequent to the Berkeley study, there were studies in other states showing similar levels of reliance on public assistance by Walmart employees. A 2004 Congressional committee staff report estimated that the total amount of public assistance received by Walmart employees each year could have been as much as $1.5 billion. A 2014 report said the amount of government aid to Walmart employes had reached $6.2 billion.

Walmart’s low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.
    Americans for Tax Fairness, a coalition of 400 national and state-level progressive groups, made this estimate using data from a 2013 study by Democratic Staff of the U.S. Committee on Education and the Workforce.

Walmart’s annual profits are approaching $100 billion. If the company's average wage was raised to $15.80 an hour, accounting for slightly higher pay for supervisors and managers, or annually, an average of $30,576, that would be a living wage. Walmart’s profits would be reduced somewhere in the range of $15 billion. And that only would occur if their employees didn't spend more money in their stores. But history shows that is not what would happen. Some percentage of that increase would be returned to Walmart through employee purchases.
    Imagine what would happen throughout the economy if every major employer had to pay at least $14.50 per hour, twice the current minimum wage. There would be no one left in the current classification of “low wage.”.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG

Define "provide". And just for yourself?
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Cell phones, computers/internet, Jordans, gold teeth, are not things you get when you live in poverty.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    'The rents are too high'.

- Banks own all the homes.
    - Banks lend on those homes based upon projected 30 year continuing employment plus collateral

Those projections have no basis in reality.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Red Fish wrote: »
    Cell phones, computers/internet, Jordans, gold teeth, are not things you get when you live in poverty.

They are if you live in an Obama world.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    dstockwell wrote: »
    Double the min wage, all other wages will increase. Prices follow suit - nothing changes.

How such a simple concept escapes some people is completely amazing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    dstockwell wrote: »

This has not happened in the past. Why should we believe it will in the future.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    Cyclist wrote: »
    In 1914, Henry Ford decided to pay the workers on his assembly line $5.00 a day. That was considered radical. It was, by far, the most money ever paid to industrial workers up to that time. In today's money it amounts to $114.00 per day, or about $30,000 annually. Nearly 100 years ago Ford was paying almost twice in real dollars than America's largest employer, and one of the most profitable companies in the history of the world, is paying its workers today.
    Henry Ford was very clever. He said he wanted his employees to be able to buy his cars, so he paid them enough so they could buy his cars, and they did

In a manner of speaking, Walmart is using the same concept. They hire basically unemployable people, and they sell them their cheap goods. Not that I am a big fan of Walmart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    mikev wrote: »

???? Anyone?
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    ???? Anyone?

Not needing government assistance to survive.
    Not needing government assistance to survive.

Good start. So how much that cost?

?
    ?

Exactly! Not that much.
    Exactly! Not that much.
    How much?
    FreeLiner wrote: »
    Thats cool with me. Are you cool with paying $15 for a sub?

If I'm not I will eat at home.

Provide . .provide a home, food, clothing, etc . . just for yourself at a minimum (hence my comment at the very least).
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    For the most part people are paid in direct relation to their contribution or importance toward the conclusion of a productive enterprise... Some provide minimal contribution and are paid accordingly.

That seems to be fair.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    How much?

SWFL_F1s0n should know. He said "provide". I just asked for clarification. You started that, but we need more details.

Depends, but some where around 150% of Poverty level.
    fins4me wrote: »
    For the most part people are paid in direct relation to their contribution or importance toward the conclusion of a productive enterprise... Some provide minimal contribution and are paid accordingly.

That seems to be fair.

People are paid just enough so they won't go find a better job. They are NOT paid what they are worth . . if they were there would be no profit.