Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Pinellas county schools purchased 28 M-16s

Replies

• FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    AR-15 is a semi-auto weapon. One trigger pull=one round out of the chamber. M-16 is capable of full-auto function, as well as 3 round bursts with a single trigger pull. They are almost identical in appearance, with the exception being the safety/select fire switch above the hand grip on the reciever.

Since it is unknown if the police will be encountering a threat outside at a longer range or inside confined areas, an easily controllable long gun with good accuracy seems like a good compromise. A short-barreled rifle with a decent optic on it would be the best choice, IMO. A Shotgun would be range limited, and a pistol or pistol based rifle (such as those that use 9mm rounds) would lack stopping power at longer ranges.

Glad I didn't have to go through metal detectors when I was at school.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    FWCSnook wrote: »
    AR-15 is a semi-auto weapon. One trigger pull=one round out of the chamber. M-16 is capable of full-auto function, as well as 3 round bursts with a single trigger pull. They are almost identical in appearance, with the exception being the safety/select fire switch above the hand grip on the reciever.

Are you trying to say an ar15 can't be full auto?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    jad1097 wrote: »

It can be modified...but is not full auto from the manufacturer.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    I think an MP 5 would be a better choice....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    I don't know about you folks but guards in schools with auto weapons pretty much means we lost.

Where does it end?

I know where it starts. With attention to the problem, not the symptoms of the problem. America is sick, we ignore entire segments of our population that need help, then we shoot them.

Gotta be another way.
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,772 Captain
    Schmidty wrote: »
    Wow.....

....full auto in schools....

I really don't know what to say other than ...Eeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaawwww!

"Full Auto" weapons were designed for fire power superiority.....in other words..."You fire one bullet at me and I shoot a thousand at you".

The more bullets you pump out...the greater the chances are that you'll hit your target...

I most definitely don't have a problem with long guns in the hands of leo...

As a matter of fact I believe that all units should have a high powered rifle .....not a full auto.... maybe not even a semi-auto...but a high powered rifle none the less....

"M-16's" are for combat......the full auto feature is for multiple targets at close range where maximum carnage is to be expected...In a school with kids?.......not a chance....

Train the teachers and arm them........give the school cops a gauge with slugs..... and lots of training...

I would suspect the M-16's will be converted for patrol use. We were looking at purchasing M16's through the 1033 program and converting them some time back but never did. Currently, are patrol rifle program is funded solely by our officers. If an officer wants to carry a patrol rifle, they must purchase their own and it must meet our agency specifications and qualifications.
  • Cyclist wrote: »
    I don't know about you folks but guards in schools with auto weapons pretty much means we lost.

Where does it end?

I know where it starts. With attention to the problem, not the symptoms of the problem. America is sick, we ignore entire segments of our population that need help, then we shoot them.

Gotta be another way.

Pete there's a bunch of words coming out of your mouth but you're not saying anything
    OK, agreed but when people are mentally ill, sometimes you have to separate them from society until they're well.

What are some other ways we can address the real issues and at the same time protect our kids and faculty?

I want to hear, in your own words, specifically what you would do and how you would do it.

Whatchu got Pete?
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,817 AG
    Pete there's a bunch of words coming out of your mouth but you're not saying anything

Whatchu got Pete?

X2.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."

I can't have an opinion without a solution? We all know that our current system (there is no system) is broken.

We know that when raygun emptied the institutions issues with the mentally ill got worse.

Whatchu got Pete?

I can't have an opinion without a solution? We all know that our current system (there is no system) is broken.

We know that when raygun emptied the institutions issues with the mentally ill got worse.

Start with a back ground check on ALL FIREARM PURCHASES (including family transactions) NO LOOPHOLES is a start.
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,490 AG

not without milling out the shelf in the receiver and adding a third hole for the different fire control
    169304.GIF
    Cyclist wrote: »

Start with a back ground check on ALL FIREARM PURCHASES (including family transactions) NO LOOPHOLES is a start.

it was the late 60's when the ACLU shut down the mental health hospitals, if you had not smoked so much weed you would know that Reagan was NOT THE PRESIDENT you dope
    169304.GIF
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain

Is that when you got out? You seem to be fixated on this subject. If you feel you're experiencing some issues you should seek immediate attention... Just sayin...:shrug
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    M16 is a military rifle, AR15 is the commercial verision.

Full auto is for suppression fire.

Not sure why the schools need an M16 (or AR15) which ever they got. Was this one of those military surplus buys that they couldn't pass up?

you could make a case for needing a rifle to go up against a kid with a rifle I guess, but then what are you going to do, have the SRO carry the rifle as he patrols the campus? No. And if a shooter comes in, the SRO is going to respond to the shooter, not run out to his patrol car to get the AR out of the trunk.

As awful as the mass shooting are, they don't occur that often. Do we really need a police state and if so, will it really stop it?
    In some places the Police are always in tactical gear with a long gun on a sling around their body...and it doesn't have to happen "often"...if it kills your son or daughter or grandchild.... I would rather there be a super strong "presence" that some kid will not want to go up against...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    In some places the Police are always in tactical gear with a long gun on a sling around their body...and it doesn't have to happen "often"...if it kills your son or daughter or grandchild.... I would rather there be a super strong "presence" that some kid will not want to go up against...

so we should have M16 toting cops in tactical gear at movie theaters as well????

That also means more SRO's at the schools. The tactical gear patrol unit won't be able to respond to the normal SRO duties because of that gear (fights, searches, rowdy parents, ect). So we need normal patrol SRO as well as SWAT teams on each campus
    coldair wrote: »
    not without milling out the shelf in the receiver and adding a third hole for the different fire control

I sure don't claim to know but this does not appear to be difficult to do

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/long-guns-discussion/39347-arfa-kit.html

http://www.scribd.com/doc/212818602/AR-15-Drop-in-Auto-Sear-DIAS-Plans

http://arfakit.com/

Pete, with all due respect, based on your comments, it's obvious to everyone here that you really have no clue as to what you're talking about and it is physically impossible to have any sort of an intelligent conversation or debate with you on this subject. You are just rambling incoherently and evidently just like to hear yourself talk.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
    it was the late 60's when the ACLU shut down the mental health hospitals, if you had not smoked so much weed you would know that Reagan was NOT THE PRESIDENT you dope

Not really. But raygun in Cali as governor and later as president did not help. Conservative fiscal policy was a major factors.

The picture is one of cost-conscious policy makers, who were quick to buy optimistic projections that were, in some instances, buttressed by misinformation and by a willingness to suspend skepticism.

Many of the psychiatrists involved as practitioners and policy makers in the 1950's and 1960's said in the interviews that heavy responsibility lay on a sometimes neglected aspect of the problem: the overreliance on drugs to do the work of society.

The records show that the politicians were dogged by the image and financial problems posed by the state hospitals and that the scientific and medical establishment sold Congress and the state legislatures a quick fix for a complicated problem that was bought sight unseen.

'They've Gone Far, Too Far'

In California, for example, the number of patients in state mental hospitals reached a peak of 37,500 in 1959 when Edmund G. Brown was Governor, fell to 22,000 when Ronald Reagan attained that office in 1967, and continued to decline under his administration and that of his successor, Edmund G. Brown Jr. The senior Mr. Brown now expresses regret about the way the policy started and ultimately evolved. ''They've gone far, too far, in letting people out,'' he said in an interview
    http://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/30/science/how-release-of-mental-patients-began.html

But the policy shift had hardly anything at all to do with the mentally ill or the practitioners who treated them. It was designed to lower taxes and shift responsibility away from the federal government. Ironically then , the need for reform perceived by those involved and concerned with the mentally ill (practitioners and families) was co-opted by the interests of capital.
    http://www.sociology.org/content/vol003.004/thomas.html
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,466 AG
    so we should have M16 toting cops in tactical gear at movie theaters as well????

That also means more SRO's at the schools. The tactical gear patrol unit won't be able to respond to the normal SRO duties because of that gear (fights, searches, rowdy parents, ect). So we need normal patrol SRO as well as SWAT teams on each campus

You know the ones that get SRO duty?

They're gonna shoot their eye out.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Pete, with all due respect, based on your comments, it's obvious to everyone here that you really have no clue as to what you're talking about and it is physically impossible to have any sort of an intelligent conversation or debate with you on this subject. You are just rambling incoherently and evidently just like to hear yourself talk.

Did you just have a mini-stroke? Just because you can't follow logic, that's my problem?
    Not really. But raygun in Cali as governor and later as president did not help. Conservative fiscal policy was a major factors.

The picture is one of cost-conscious policy makers, who were quick to buy optimistic projections that were, in some instances, buttressed by misinformation and by a willingness to suspend skepticism.

Many of the psychiatrists involved as practitioners and policy makers in the 1950's and 1960's said in the interviews that heavy responsibility lay on a sometimes neglected aspect of the problem: the overreliance on drugs to do the work of society.

The records show that the politicians were dogged by the image and financial problems posed by the state hospitals and that the scientific and medical establishment sold Congress and the state legislatures a quick fix for a complicated problem that was bought sight unseen.

'They've Gone Far, Too Far'

In California, for example, the number of patients in state mental hospitals reached a peak of 37,500 in 1959 when Edmund G. Brown was Governor, fell to 22,000 when Ronald Reagan attained that office in 1967, and continued to decline under his administration and that of his successor, Edmund G. Brown Jr. The senior Mr. Brown now expresses regret about the way the policy started and ultimately evolved. ''They've gone far, too far, in letting people out,'' he said in an interview
    http://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/30/science/how-release-of-mental-patients-began.html

But the policy shift had hardly anything at all to do with the mentally ill or the practitioners who treated them. It was designed to lower taxes and shift responsibility away from the federal government. Ironically then , the need for reform perceived by those involved and concerned with the mentally ill (practitioners and families) was co-opted by the interests of capital.
    http://www.sociology.org/content/vol003.004/thomas.html

See what I mean?
  • NOLE66NOLE66 Posts: 1,630 Officer
    ****?

This person NEEDS to go back to school.
    "Our police officers are in our schools to help further the education of our students and make it safe for them to do so," Stelljes said. "This is just one more way to do it."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/k12/report-military-surplus-program-sent-assault-rifles-to-pinellas-schools/2198067

Fantastic news!! I'm glad a school district finally grew a set and will actually do EVERYTHING possible to protect our children. I've been in favor of armed administrators and armed guards in schools. We know that they are a primary target of psycho killers so why not defend them?
    See what I mean?

I'll try and find my 3 year old neighbor to translate for you.

I hope you did not google that, cause if you did you are a idiot that just made a watch list. one thing the ATF loves to do is to catch someone with an illegal full auto weapon and they set those sites up as bait
    169304.GIF
    I'll try and find my 3 year old neighbor to translate for you.

you smoke weed with him too?
    169304.GIF
    you smoke weed with him too?

Is that what you would do?
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer
    I can understand dealing with the symptoms of a problem, but when is the US going to deal with the actual problem. Mental illness. We don't hesitate to spend on guns and gunners because we are a violent hurtful society but at some point we have to spend money on the actual problems.

Turn yourself in. The forum has been trying to get you into an institution for a long time.
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    Quit electing liberals.

Problem solved.
    SLW210 wrote: »
    Quit electing liberals.

Problem solved.

America is waking up and radical right wingers are going down.
    I hope you did not google that, cause if you did you are a idiot that just made a watch list. one thing the ATF loves to do is to catch someone with an illegal full auto weapon and they set those sites up as bait

I don't own any guns. I am sure you are on a "watch list"