Home Politics

Most Adults Fail 5th Grade Science Test

1235»

Replies

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    navigator2 wrote: »
    This thread has gotten off topic. Mods, can we move it to OT? :grin

I want to know, how the average American can NOT pass a 5th grade science quiz? That is a whole lot of dumb ****. :huh

Most cannot read a map or God forbid a navigation chart.
    cadman wrote: »
    I wasn't sure if I remembered my 5th grade science so I found a 5th grade test and took it. Here it is if you wish to take it

http://www.ode.state.or.us/wma/teachlearn/testing/samples/2011_12/sci_gr-5_sample_test_2011_eng.pdf

Not sure how anyone could fail that. Test was too easy. You got to be pretty dumb to fail a 5th grade science test.

A friend of mine did a water pressure experiment in 5th grade, he flushed a M80 down a toilet.
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    I do own a Tutu. :rotflmao

I think I have found my new signature!
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    greggl wrote: »
    I gotta admit, Im having a really hard time pushing kids toward STEM (or STEAM if you add 'Art') as I don't see it as one size fits all.

WE did hit on the concept of project based work. In one breath he tried to challenge my income with it while early, project bonuses were a 'plus' in his column.

STEM people are lying. They make less than they are pretending to ;)

The reality is why work hard and learn math and science, when you can party everyday and get a job "investing" someone else's money.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    I wasn't sure if I remembered my 5th grade science so I found a 5th grade test and took it. Here it is if you wish to take it

http://www.ode.state.or.us/wma/teachlearn/testing/samples/2011_12/sci_gr-5_sample_test_2011_eng.pdf

Not sure how anyone could fail that. Test was too easy. You got to be pretty dumb to fail a 5th grade science test.

Wow...........there were only a couple of questions I wasn't 100% sure of the answer. And my calling was not in science. That just tells me there are a whole lot of tards walking through Walmart parking lots. :grin

We are a nation of uneducated tards, and for the most part, they vote Democrat. :rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    The reality is why work hard and learn math and science, when you can party everyday and get a job "investing" someone else's money.

You do realize that is a lot more complicated than simple math and science didn't you? Are you trying to pry the prize from Conchy's fingers or will you just settle for a playoff berth? :Spittingcoffee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    The Center for Accountability in Science surveyed American adults & found that the majority failed science test designed for 5th graders.

I believe that....it sounds about right...

Can you show me how many 5th graders are paying a $3000, per month mortgage or 2 car payments, taxes...food....yada...yada...etc....????

.....I didn't think so......:rotflmao
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    After 128 posts it's pretty clear they were right saying that; Most Adults Fail 5th Grade Science Test
    After 128 posts it's pretty clear they were right saying that; Most Adults Fail 5th Grade Science Test

I'm not disagreeing with you Fibber....... I just get a chuckle out of people who somehow think that "fact retention".....sometimes 60 years out..... somehow equates to stupidity....:rotflmao
    The 5th Grade Science Test Most Adults failed may have dealt with "fact retention" but the vast "stupidity" exhibited in most of the replies here certainly does not.

As to your "chuckle" excuse "sometimes 60 years out" - virtually everybody I know involved in science has continued to learn & knows dramatically more now.

Conversely, those who were failing science when they were in 5th Grade never had any "fact retention" to begin with & still never did anything to educate themselves since - "sometimes 60 years out".

IMO that "somehow equates to stupidity".
    "Fibber"......

Like always.....It was wonderful having "words" with you......:rotflmao

I must admit that I feel the need to "chuckle" at topics like these and those who feel that topics like these are worthy of any serious discussion.

As for me "Fibber"....I wish to thank you for the "chuckle". :rotflmao
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    Most adults, including most of you on this very forum, don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

My former sister-in-law with her bachelors majoring in English made a very good living at her career at Cape Canaveral translating editing and re-writing reports by engineers.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Baits Out wrote: »
    My former sister-in-law with her bachelors majoring in English made a very good living at her career at Cape Canaveral translating editing and re-writing reports by engineers.

I don't doubt it. I see it every single day at work. I see poorly written emails, both internal and to customers, I see poorly written proposals, poorly written tech manuals and poorly written reports. At least with proposals, we usually bring in a consultant to rewrite the technical sections before they're submitted.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    I don't doubt it. I see it every single day at work. I see poorly written emails, both internal and to customers, I see poorly written proposals, poorly written tech manuals and poorly written reports. At least with proposals, we usually bring in a consultant to rewrite the technical sections before they're submitted.

*tech.

- tech
    technical person

- tech.

1.technical
    2.technician

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tech
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    *tech.

- tech
    technical person

- tech.

1.technical
    2.technician

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tech

right... technical

I'm sure many non-technical persons reading my reply appreciate your clarification.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    seajay-1 wrote: »
    So now you are a Master Gardener. How many new plants have you identified in your short career as a Taxonomist?

Just a couple. My botany career started in 1989.
    Some are easily amused by the Dumbing Down of America. Some don't "feel that topics like these are worthy of any serious discussion". A few even "feel the need to chuckle" about this kind of national deficiency.
    Schmidty wrote: »
    "Fibber"......

Like always.....It was wonderful having "words" with you.....

I must admit that I feel the need to "chuckle" at topics like these and those who feel that topics like these are worthy of any serious discussion.

As for me "Fibber"....I wish to thank you for the "chuckle".

IMO the "stupidity" that is the topic here is a national disgrace & embarrassment that seriously jeopardizes America's future.

When I read "topics like these" that show, for instance, that only 36% of Americans can name the 3 branches of government it helps explain the anti-science rhetoric & denials we see here.

Might "chuckle" when I see folks, who can't pass a 5th grade science test, attempt to bash 'Scientific American', NOAA, NASA, USGS, etc, etc, etc - IF it weren't so pathetic.

A good lesson in grammar and punctuation,,

1. Did you help your Uncle Jack, off his horse?
    2. Did you help your uncle jack off his horse?
    :)
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Another failed attempt to prove MMGW
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Just a couple. My botany career started in 1989.

Yes you are a youngster that is apparent. So what is the Botanical names of these plants that you discovered?