Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Check out my new rig

Jim311Jim311 Senior MemberGainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain

Replies

• kingkong954kingkong954 Senior Member Gainesville, FlPosts: 690 Officer
    Nice! Congrats!....that's going to be awesome for getting in close to those reds.
  • Catfish_HunterCatfish_Hunter Senior Member HomosassaPosts: 261 Deckhand
    nice looking boat sea ark makes a bullet proof hull...
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    She's got some redneck engineering like plywood floors and front deck, but I figured Sea Ark has a strong reputation for building good hulls and if the motor was in good shape and the hull was good it would do the job. I got a steal on it too, you could barely buy the Yamaha by itself for what I paid for the whole package. I found that somebody has just cut the wiring going to the jack plate which sorta sucks. I wonder what sort of internal problems the jack plate had that caused the previous owner to just completely abandon it all together. I guess I need to look up some info on it to figure out if I can diagnose it without putting a bunch of money into it. There's no switches, power cable, or anything running to the jack plate. I guess they just put it in the position that worked most of the time and left it there and cut off the power cables altogether!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Senior Member Ozello Fl.Posts: 13,083 AG
    Sure those rails aren't for stuffing palm fronds or grass mats for duck hunting?
    It does have quack addict on the stern.

Nice boat though.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • BillyBilly Senior Member Posts: 2,773 Captain
    So...can I have your Ghennoe?

Nice boat and the 1660 makes an extremely stable platform to fish out of. My neighbor has one that we use once in awhile. His has a tunnel...looks like your's might? Hard for me see in the picture.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    yes now that you say it... i spy a tunnel also... even beter.
    Yep, it's a tunnel!
  • tbrady47tbrady47 Senior Member East coastPosts: 114 Officer
    Heck yeah . Ducks, reds. You can do it all out of that . I just bought a Creek craft with a 40 suzuki. Other then a old throttle cable . Starts every time , on first start no problems . Got from a guy on Craigslist that didn't have time to work on it . I agree with A#1 about Palm fronds , or fastgrass.
  • G8trbaitG8trbait Senior Member Posts: 126 Deckhand
    You jerk! You took my boat lol j/k My friend was looking at it but obviously didn't pull the trigger! That is going to be a nice rig for the wac/ck/cr areas! My tunnel HATES steinhatchee and HSB because of all the floating grass. It would always pile up on the intakes and overheat. Winter lows won't scare you as much anymore! haha Good luck and enjoy!!
  • keypondkeypond Senior Member Posts: 2,017 Captain
    Love it! Congrats.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
    G8trbait wrote: »
    You jerk! You took my boat lol j/k My friend was looking at it but obviously didn't pull the trigger! That is going to be a nice rig for the wac/ck/cr areas! My tunnel HATES steinhatchee and HSB because of all the floating grass. It would always pile up on the intakes and overheat. Winter lows won't scare you as much anymore! haha Good luck and enjoy!!

I figured there'd be a lot of people looking at it. I was ready with cash in hand from the sale of a vehicle so I jumped on it quick because I knew it wouldn't last long at that price. That floating grass is a real pain but the jack plate should help put it up in cleaner water. Regardless floating grass is a real PITA for just about any boat!
  • G8trbaitG8trbait Senior Member Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I figured there'd be a lot of people looking at it. I was ready with cash in hand from the sale of a vehicle so I jumped on it quick because I knew it wouldn't last long at that price. That floating grass is a real pain but the jack plate should help put it up in cleaner water. Regardless floating grass is a real PITA for just about any boat!

You're definitely going to love that rig! The advantage of having the 16ft vs the 18ft like mine is if I get stuck I'm not going ANYWHERE! The 16ft all ya'll will have to do is get out and it'll probably float again! Meanwhile I'll be fishing in the same spot for a few hours haha
    Maybe, the hull alone weighs 660 pounds so I'm not so sure I'll be able to push it off. One time I was having lunch and a beer with some friends on a sand/mud bar and wasn't paying attention and the tide went out. Took 4 dudes to lift my Gheenoe up outta the tidal mud, haha.
  • PONCEPONCE Senior Member Big Bend FlaPosts: 5,946 Admiral
    Nice Sea Ark Jim!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Senior Member OcalaPosts: 4,538 Captain
    That will open up some new fishing.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    after doing some more research i've discovered that hull is junk and you need to sell it for half what you paid to me haha... just kidding. I was reading more up on the rescue model and that's a pretty cool boat.
  • majorgatormajorgator Senior Member High Springs, FLPosts: 372 Deckhand
    Jim...I had a sneaky suspicion that was you :wink I've read a bunch of your posts/threads (not all 2,500 of them, but a lot), and every time I drive by your house with the gheenoe out front, I think to myself: "I wonder if that's the guy that posts on the FS Forum". I drove by yesterday and saw your new rig and thought, dang, he's upgrading :wink I literally live less than 2 miles south-ish of you and I cut through that neighborhood several times a week, almost daily.

I like the new rig, and definitely figure out what's up with the jack plate. I've been taught to believe that the tunnel is about useless without a hydraulic jack plate...and vice versa. As it has been described to be me by a relatively well-known boat designer and also by a prop engineer, at the lowest point, the cavitation plate needs to line up with the top of the tunnel and at the highest point (while underway), the centerline of the prop should line up with the top of the tunnel. Anywhere outside of that range is inefficient and counterproductive (or dangerous if too high). Enjoy!!!
  • nicknick Senior Member Crystal RiverPosts: 5,062 Admiral
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Senior Member Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice rig. I ordered a complete wiring harness for my Jack-plate and the cost was somewhere around $50.00. You can get that and just plug in and be ready to diagnose any further problems it might have. They are pretty simple so you can repair that yourself I'm sure. Another tip is I would also order a water pressure gauge for it, that cost was around $30.00 and the comfort it gives you is well worth the money. Invest the $30.00, and about an hour to install, and it can save you burning up a power head. Good luck and once again, nice rig.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
    I'd spend 50 bucks to diagnose for sure. I will also need the up/down switch for it, it's missing. I'll look for a pressure gauge as well, plenty of room on the console for it.
    majorgator wrote: »
    Jim...I had a sneaky suspicion that was you :wink I've read a bunch of your posts/threads (not all 2,500 of them, but a lot), and every time I drive by your house with the gheenoe out front, I think to myself: "I wonder if that's the guy that posts on the FS Forum". I drove by yesterday and saw your new rig and thought, dang, he's upgrading :wink I literally live less than 2 miles south-ish of you and I cut through that neighborhood several times a week, almost daily.

I like the new rig, and definitely figure out what's up with the jack plate. I've been taught to believe that the tunnel is about useless without a hydraulic jack plate...and vice versa. As it has been described to be me by a relatively well-known boat designer and also by a prop engineer, at the lowest point, the cavitation plate needs to line up with the top of the tunnel and at the highest point (while underway), the centerline of the prop should line up with the top of the tunnel. Anywhere outside of that range is inefficient and counterproductive (or dangerous if too high). Enjoy!!!

Yep, that's my house. I live on a busy road, just about everyone who lives in High Springs knows me by the stuff that sits in my yard. It comes in handy when I want to sell stuff though, tons of traffic! Yesterday night I ran the boat for the first time and it seemed to bog and handle funny to me. I think getting that hydraulic jack plate running is going to be a necessity with that tunnel like you said. I felt like the motor could definitely be higher in the tunnel while underway. I am going to tinker with it and see if I have some water in my gas from all this rain we've been having, as well as replace the fuel line that's in the boat, it seems kinda janky to me and doesn't get firm so I think it's losing fuel at higher RPMs.
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,881 Moderator
    Sweet rig. I miss my old jon boat . Had a lot of adventures in it.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • nicknick Senior Member Crystal RiverPosts: 5,062 Admiral
  • butchbalbutchbal Senior Member Lakeland/HomosassaPosts: 511 Officer
    Good find on a good solid boat! :)
    nick wrote: »
    You're sonny's neighbor.

Yeah. I used to chat fishing with him once in a while but I haven't talked to him lately. He likes to speck fish on the lakes during the winter and I think he also owns a place in Steinhatchee. Cool dude.
  • TideUpTideUp Senior Member GainesvillePosts: 126 Officer
    Now I'll be looking for a camo seaArk out of the WAC instead of that gheenoe haha nice boat and I'm a bit jealous
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
    I guess I have a couple of pretty distinct rides. I've had several people I'd never met stop deep in a creek at Wac and say hello. It's amazing how many people lurk the forums and see my reports. If any of you see me out there don't hesitate to stop and say hi.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Senior Member Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Jim, the switch came with the wiring harness. I forget where I ordered it but do a search on the internet of your brand and you can find it.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • majorgatormajorgator Senior Member High Springs, FLPosts: 372 Deckhand
    Jim, the switch came with the wiring harness. I forget where I ordered it but do a search on the internet of your brand and you can find it.
    Is it a Bob's Machine Shop plate? If so, just call them. Get their oil, their wiring harness, their solenoids, etc. The prices on their parts aren't as bad as people might expect. If you're troubleshooting, there's really only a few things that could be wrong: electrical (solenoids), pump, or hydraulic cylinder. I've replaced both solenoids on mine over time because they're pretty cheaply made, but I think they've made improvements to them. You can jumper the posts to bypass the solenoids and make it go up/down. I always carry a short piece of solid insulated wire (AWG 12 or 14) in case the switch or solenoids fail. If you have pump failure, that can be pricey. If there's a problem with the pump AND the cylinder, then it best just to cut your losses and start looking for a good used jackplate.

If it is a "Bob's", see link below for the wiring diagram they sent me several years ago. If not a "Bob's" then disregard most of what I just said LOL
    Or since you live so close, you can always come by and see how mine is wired...
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gk30vo8sm448dex/AAD6lK2efnG_QSXpBKxkwAlaa?dl=0