Home Politics

Of course they don't want to......for different reasons.

2»

Replies

• RottenRotten Posts: 465 Deckhand
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    This past weekend I was at the site of the 9/11 attacks. It has changed my mind on what and how I thought we needed to protect this country from any and all attacks. I am now balls to the wall for action against threats made against this country.
    I was standing on the runway at JFK Airport watching the Trade Center Burn, and lost many close friends in the FDNY and NYPD. A close friend of mine is the youngest Borough Commander in FDNY History ( Queens Borough Commander) He was the Chief of his company on Canal street on 9-11-2001, he sent his whole unit into the Trade Center and lost them all. He will never be the same person he was the day before. We can NOT be complacent!! We must remain vigilant and keep our guard up . These extremists will wait another 10 years if they have to, but rest assured, They WILL attack us again on OUR SOIL!!!!! God Bless America and Our Troops!!

J.M. Badge # 40851
    Music is Life, learn to play and Live!!!! I also Love to Fish!!!
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    dstockwell wrote: »
    Regardless of what they say, nothing in the constitution authorizes this continued BS. Unless of course Congress is going to declare war on a country and not an ideology.

Be that as it may - the Obama administration is citing the 2001 aumf to justify their actions, just to keep it factual, what was the vote count for the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists?
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,813 AG
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States.
    Yea, and we never did attack Saudi - those who were responsible.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
    Yea, and we never did attack Saudi - those who were responsible.

Can't quite bring yourself to post the correct figures on the House and Senate vote for the 2001 AUMF?...in the interest of being factual.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

It still has zero to do with Iraq. Iraq was and still is adventurism in forced democracy, as is Afghanistan. The AUMF authorizes the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the attacks on September 11, 2001. (Which we still have not done) We hide behind other excuses than who was responsible. And nothing in this AUMF authorities Nation Building. So the AUMF is a smoke screen created by Congress that never accomplished the goal.

House of Representatives

On September 14, 2001 the House passed House Joint Resolution 64. The totals in the House of Representatives were: 420 Ayes, 1 Nay and 10 Not Voting. The Nay was Barbara Lee, D-CA. [1] Lee is notable as the only member of either house of Congress to vote against this bill.[2]
    Senate

On September 14, 2001 Senate Joint Resolution 23 passed in the Senate by roll call vote. The totals in the Senate were: 98 Ayes, 0 Nays, 2 Present/Not Voting (Senators Larry Craig - R and Jesse Helms - R).
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Regardless of what they say, nothing in the constitution authorizes this continued BS. Unless of course Congress is going to declare war on a country and not an ideology.

Here you go, the president can only act without congress in taking a defensive action.

http://www.libertyclassroom.com/warpowers/
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Rotten wrote: »
    We can NOT be complacent!! We must remain vigilant and keep our guard up .

J.M. Badge # 40851

Agree. So I hope you're not one of the many Americans who wanted to chop the legs out from under the NSA for their "data mining"... data that they then got warrants to analyze when they suspect it will lead to a terrorist plot.

For the record, a) I wasn't surprised by the information from Edward Snowden and b) I was pleased that our NSA was using all means available to keep us safe.
    cpr wrote: »
    Here you go, the president can only act without congress in taking a defensive action.

http://www.libertyclassroom.com/warpowers/

The president can twist into what he/she thinks. "But what the framers actually meant by that clause was that once war has been declared, it was the President’s responsibility as commander-in-chief to direct the war."
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Once Obama sends them pontoons, they can bring his Toyota Jihad to America. Think of all the tax money our leaders can get laundered into private hands.

1412038776811_zps354dbdd0.jpg

I can only think of what a single A-10 could have accomplished in about 10 seconds.... about 4 months ago.
    It is painfully obvious that some have not read the 2001 AUMF.

Notice how carefully Obama tries to avoid use of the War word? All he has to do is make a link between al Qaeda and any other terrorist group, and he has his 'authorization'. Thankfully he hasn't done so, or has he?

"Essentially what happened with ISIL was that you had al Qaeda in Iraq, which was a vicious group, but our Marines were able to quash with the help of Sunni tribes," he explained. "They went back underground, but over the past couple of years, during the chaos of the Syrian civil war, where essentially you had huge swaths of the country that are completely ungoverned, they were able to reconstitute themselves and take advantage of that chaos."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-u-s-underestimated-rise-of-isis-in-iraq-and-syria/

President Obama: Well, I distinguished, Steve, between counter-terrorism and the sort of occupying armies that characterized the Iraq and Afghan war. That's very different from us having 150,000 troops in Iraq on the ground or 60,000 in Afghanistan.

Steve Kroft: Are you saying that this is not really a war?

President Obama: Well, what I'm saying is that we are assisting Iraq in a very real battle that's taking place on their soil, with their troops. But we are providing air support. And it is in our interest to do that because ISIL represents sort of a hybrid of not just the terrorist network, but one with territorial ambitions, and some of the strategy and tactics of an army. This is not America against ISIL. This is America leading the international community to assist a country with whom we have a security partnership with. To make sure that they are able to take care of their business.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-obama-60-minutes/

So, Obama hasn't declared war, he's fighting terrorists who are an al Qaeda offshoot, plus helping an ally defend itself...all in partnership with a coalition of other nations. Make no mistake, he does have a legal case for our involvement...plus it seems to poll well, the loudly anti-war left is conspicuously quiet, and he couldn't care less what the rest of us think.

Grady-lady wrote: »
    It is painfully obvious that some have not read the 2001 AUMF.

Notice how carefully Obama tries to avoid use of the War word? All he has to do is make a link between al Qaeda and any other terrorist group, and he has his 'authorization'. Thankfully he hasn't done so, or has he?
    Well Congress declares war, the AUMF is exactly what it says Authorization, guess Congress side stepped the COTUS.
  • RottenRotten Posts: 465 Deckhand
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    Agree. So I hope you're not one of the many Americans who wanted to chop the legs out from under the NSA for their "data mining"... data that they then got warrants to analyze when they suspect it will lead to a terrorist plot.

For the record, a) I wasn't surprised by the information from Edward Snowden and b) I was pleased that our NSA was using all means available to keep us safe.
    I am all for the NSA doing a little nosing around as long as it is productive and done within the means of the law. Not to spy on law obiding Americans that disagree with the current administration.
    Music is Life, learn to play and Live!!!! I also Love to Fish!!!
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    This past weekend I was at the site of the 9/11 attacks. It has changed my mind on what and how I thought we needed to protect this country from any and all attacks. I am now balls to the wall for action against threats made against this country.

Just curious, why did it take a visit to the attack site for you to change your mind?
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    mikev wrote: »
    Just curious, why did it take a visit to the attack site for you to change your mind?

Mike, seeing it in person had a much stronger affect on me than watching it on tv. I don't know why, but standing there with 10,000 other somber people looking into the hole was pretty moving.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    Mike, seeing it in person had a much stronger affect on me than watching it on tv. I don't know why, but standing there with 10,000 other somber people looking into the hole was pretty moving.

Good on you. There's quite a few locations that will have the affect on people. Never forget.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."